IGNORED

Blessings of Abraham a transferrable promise?

Remnantrob

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

Gal 3:29 - " And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs to the promise."

Through Christ all nations are to be blessed.

The promises to Abraham are dual, both physical (the descendants of Abraham) and spiritual (the followers of Christ)

Spiritual Israel of God is the church.

No, the Church is not a spiritual Israel.   The NT never spiritualizes israel to refer to the Church.  The Church is NEVER called Israel.   Israel is Israel.  the Church is the Church.  They are radically separate in the NT.

In Gal 6: 15-16 - we see the church being referred to as the Israel of God.

We know an assembly, a body of people, a congregation, is called a church.

In Acts 7:38 we see the people of Israel under Moses being referred to the " church in the wilderness"

Just as Israel was called out of Egypt, we in today's world have been called out of the sinning ways of the world by following Christ through the church He created on Pentecost.

God used physical Israel to help Him bring forth Spiritual Israel-paralleling His plan of salvation for mankind.

Just as in Ezekiel 36 where God's spirit is promised to Israel, Ephesians 2:22 describes the indwelling of God's spirit to the church.

Israel was God's first born Ex 4:22

And the New Testament church is referred to as God's first born Heb 12:23

The church has an important role to mankind-first by receiving the physical blessings in the OT and then by receiving the spiritual blessings in the NT through Christ.

Edited by fruitfull77

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Can you prove that?

13 For those who are circumcised do not even keep the Law themselves, but they desire to have you circumcised so that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

When Paul says, "And those who will walk by this rule," he is referring to the Gentile believers, the uncircumcised. When he says, "the Israel of God," he is referring to the Jewish believers, the circumcised.

The word "church" is not the correct translation, though.

Origin:

before 900; Middle English chir(i)che, Old English cir(i)ce ≪ Greek kȳri(a)kón (dôma) the Lord's (house), neuter of kȳriakós of the master, equivalent to kȳ́ri(os) master (kŷr(os) power + -ios noun suffix) + -akos, variant of -ikos -ic; akin to Dutch kerk, German Kirche, Old Norse kirkja. See kirk

Source

So the word "church" is a poor replacement for the word "assembly" or the word "congregation,"

In Acts 7:38 we see the people of Israel under Moses being referred to the " church in the wilderness"

No, they are called a "congregation," not "the Lord's house".

Just as Israel was called out of Egypt, we in today's world have been called out of the sinning ways of the world by following Christ through the church He created on Pentecost.

Pentecost was the Greek word for the Jewish Feast of Weeks, when the Jews celebrated the giving of the Law from Mt. Sinai.

The ones the Holy Spirit fell on were all Torah-observing Jews.

God used physical Israel to help Him bring forth Spiritual Israel-paralleling His plan of salvation for mankind.

Again, there is no "spiritual Israel." Neither was God creating a "parallel plan." There was always only one plan. There is a huge difference between a foreshadow and a parallel.

Just as in Ezekiel 36 where God's spirit is promised to Israel, Ephesians 2:22 describes the indwelling of God's spirit to the church.

This verse has nothing to do with a "spiritual Israel" nor does it mention anything about replacing one thing for another.

22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

A better argument can be made for the author of Hebrews to be referring to the the people of God from past who are in heaven than to the people of God here on the earth.

The church has an important role to mankind-first by receiving the physical blessings in the OT and then by receiving the spiritual blessings in the NT through Christ.

In Romans 3, Paul made a distinction between the Jews who had been given and kept the word of God and the Gentile believers.

Can you prove that?

13 For those who are circumcised do not even keep the Law themselves, but they desire to have you circumcised so that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

When Paul says, "And those who will walk by this rule," he is referring to the Gentile believers, the uncircumcised. When he says, "the Israel of God," he is referring to the Jewish believers, the circumcised.

The word "church" is not the correct translation, though.

Origin:

before 900; Middle English chir(i)che, Old English cir(i)ce ≪ Greek kȳri(a)kón (dôma) the Lord's (house), neuter of kȳriakós of the master, equivalent to kȳ́ri(os) master (kŷr(os) power + -ios noun suffix) + -akos, variant of -ikos -ic; akin to Dutch kerk, German Kirche, Old Norse kirkja. See kirk

Source

So the word "church" is a poor replacement for the word "assembly" or the word "congregation,"

No, they are called a "congregation," not "the Lord's house".

Pentecost was the Greek word for the Jewish Feast of Weeks, when the Jews celebrated the giving of the Law from Mt. Sinai.

The ones the Holy Spirit fell on were all Torah-observing Jews.

Again, there is no "spiritual Israel." Neither was God creating a "parallel plan." There was always only one plan. There is a huge difference between a foreshadow and a parallel.

This verse has nothing to do with a "spiritual Israel" nor does it mention anything about replacing one thing for another.

22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

A better argument can be made for the author of Hebrews to be referring to the the people of God from past who are in heaven than to the people of God here on the earth.

In Romans 3, Paul made a distinction between the Jews who had been given and kept the word of God and the Gentile believers.

In Gal 6 the subject matter is the Church and Paul is addressing gentile converts. Israel covers all people both Jews and gentiles

The rule to walk by is from the previous verse that God doesn't care if you are circumcised or not, you are all one in Christ.

Church is the english translation of the Greek word ekklesia generally means " called out" but commonly used to indicate an assembly as used in Acts 19:32,39

Church is used in the original KJV bible referring to the called out ones with Moses in the desert.

The Holy Spirit was available for all people Jews and gentiles.

There is no difference between Jew or Greek in the NT -righteousness comes from having faith and keeping His Law

Israel means one who prevails with God and the NT church is expected to honor that definition

What difference do you think there is between the Jewish believers in the NT church and the gentile believers?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought.  Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born.  I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father.  We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob.  Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing).  Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church? 

*** Removed link to SDA teaching ***

Hi Rob,

Actually, the promises to Abraham are given to the Gentiles through Christ. Many Christians don't understand this because they have been tught the "Heavenly Destiny" doctrine. The believers "hope" is not to go live in Heaven, it is to spend eternity in the restored land. God promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob the land as an everlasting possession.

14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:

15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. (Gen 13:14-15 KJV)

Then it was given to Isaac,

KJV  Genesis 26:1 And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.

2 And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:

3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. (Gen 26:1-5 KJV)

It was also given to Jacob

KJV  Genesis 28:1 And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.

2 Arise, go to Padanaram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of Laban thy mother's brother.

3 And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;

4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham. (Gen 28:1-4 KJV)

This phrase the "blessing of Abraham" is tied directly to the inheritance of the Land. The phrase is used only twice in the Bible here in Genesis and Paul uses it to apply the "Blessing of Abraham" to the Gentiles.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Gal 3:13-14 KJV)

The Gentiles receive the "blessing of Abraham" (the land) through faith in Christ. God promised the land to Abraham and his Seed. The Jews understood this to mean that they as the seed of Abraham would inherit the promises. The Jews understood Seed as a collective group, themselves, however, Paul says that the Jews misunderstood. He argues that when God said the promises were to Abraham and his Seed, He meant it singularly and not in the plural and that that Seed is Christ.

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. (Gal 3:16 KJV)

The land was promised to Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Christ. It is through faith in Christ that the Gentiles receive the inheritance which is the land promised to Abraham.

I've written a paper on this subject if you'd like to read more. I go into much greater detail and use a lot Scripture to show that this is indeed what the Bible teaches. The Paper is "The Kingdom of God (A Biblical perspective)"

I hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any questions you have.

In Gal 6 the subject matter is the Church and Paul is addressing gentile converts. ...

What difference do you think there is between the Jewish believers in the NT church and the gentile believers?

The difference is what is described in Romans 11 - being a natural branch versus a wild branch. Natural branches and wild branches have different functions to the olive tree.

Yes, we are all under the New Covenant of Jesus' blood. But this covenant was a new covenant, not an extension of any previous covenant, including the covenant with Israel.

The Jewish believers are under both covenants. We Gentiles are not.

The Jewish believers were trying to force the Gentiles into the Abrahamic covenant, which is why they were pushing them to get circumcised. Circumcision was a sign of the Covenant with Abraham. Look it up, it's there!

Paul was telling the Gentile believers they did not need to be circumcised to be a part of the covenant becausethe Gentiles were under a New Covenant, not the old one which required circumcision.

The covenant with Abraham that was passed on to Isaac and Jacob (Israel) and his descendants also included an inheritance to the land. Did Paul or anyone else ever advocate for the Gentile believers to possess the land of Judea (what it was called back then)?

Israel covers all people both Jews and gentiles

No, it does not. That is an interpretation you and whomever you learned this theology from put it there.

The rule to walk by is from the previous verse that God doesn't care if you are circumcised or not, you are all one in Christ.

Not disagreeing with you there.

That still does not make the New Covenant the same as the Old Covenant, nor does it make Gentiles a part of the Old Covenant. (Why do you want to be a part of the Old Covenant anyway?)

Church is the english translation of the Greek word ekklesia generally means " called out" but commonly used to indicate an assembly as used in Acts 19:32,39

The Lexicon and the Etymology of the word "church" disagree with you on this.

Church is used in the original KJV bible referring to the called out ones with Moses in the desert.

I do not use the KJV translation as my final authority. The word "church" does not mean "assembly" nor "called out", it means "Lord's house", which is an entirely different meaning.

The Holy Spirit was not included in Abraham's covenant.

There is no difference between Jew or Greek in the NT -righteousness comes from having faith and keeping His Law

The OP is about the blessings of Abraham transferring over to "the church". The issue of there being no difference between Jew and Greek is a matter of the New Covenant under Jesus, not the Old Covenant blessings of Abraham.

Israel means one who prevails with God and the NT church is expected to honor that definition

Explain this one with Scriptural references please?

Heard a sermon about this topic and was wondering what you guys thought.  Abraham was given blessing that he tried to give to Ishmael by his own work and God said no, it was going to Isaac even though he was the second born.  I've heard in that culture in those days that the first born was always entitled to the inheritances of the father.  We go down the lineage a little and see that the blessing was supposed to go to Esau goes to the second born Jacob.  Adam is the first man and Jesus is the second man and he gets the blessing(or is the blessing).  Could it be possible that the blessings/promises of Israel could be transferrable to the church? 

Hi Rob,

Actually, the promises to Abraham are given to the Gentiles through Christ. Many Christians don't understand this because they have been tught the "Heavenly Destiny" doctrine. The believers "hope" is not to go live in Heaven, it is to spend eternity in the restored land. God promised Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob the land as an everlasting possession.

14 And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:

15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. (Gen 13:14-15 KJV)

KJV  Genesis 26:1 And there was a famine in the land, beside the first famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went unto Abimelech king of the Philistines unto Gerar.

2 And the LORD appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of:

3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. (Gen 26:1-5 KJV)

KJV  Genesis 28:1 And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan.

2 Arise, go to Padanaram, to the house of Bethuel thy mother's father; and take thee a wife from thence of the daughters of Laban thy mother's brother.

3 And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;

4 And give thee the blessing of Abraham, to thee, and to thy seed with thee; that thou mayest inherit the land wherein thou art a stranger, which God gave unto Abraham. (Gen 28:1-4 KJV)

This phrase the "blessing of Abraham" is tied directly to the inheritance of the Land. The phrase is used only twice in the Bible here in Genesis and Paul uses it to apply the "Blessing of Abraham" to the Gentiles.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Gal 3:13-14 KJV)

The Gentiles receive the "blessing of Abraham" (the land) through faith in Christ. God promised the land to Abraham and his Seed. The Jews understood this to mean that they as the seed of Abraham would inherit the promises. The Jews understood Seed as a collective group, themselves, however, Paul says that the Jews misunderstood. He argues that when God said the promises were to Abraham and his Seed, He meant it singularly and not in the plural and that that Seed is Christ.

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. (Gal 3:16 KJV)

The land was promised to Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Christ. It is through faith in Christ that the Gentiles receive the inheritance which is the land promised to Abraham.

I've written a paper on this subject if you'd like to read more. I go into much greater detail and use a lot Scripture to show that this is indeed what the Bible teaches. The Paper is "The Kingdom of God (A Biblical perspective)"

In Gal 3:13-" Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law" what exactly is the curse of the Law since Christ had to redeem us from it? I understand it to be death, the same death from the wages of sin which would be the breaking of the law.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

Hi Rob,

In Gal 3:13-" Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law" what exactly is the curse of the Law since Christ had to redeem us from it? I understand it to be death, the same death from the wages of sin which would be the breaking of the law.

Hi Fruitful,

In context, I believe the "us" is the Jews, it was they who were under the Law not the Gentiles

In Gal 6 the subject matter is the Church and Paul is addressing gentile converts. ...

The difference is what is described in Romans 11 - being a natural branch versus a wild branch. Natural branches and wild branches have different functions to the olive tree.

Yes, we are all under the New Covenant of Jesus' blood. But this covenant was a new covenant, not an extension of any previous covenant, including the covenant with Israel.

The Jewish believers are under both covenants. We Gentiles are not.

The Jewish believers were trying to force the Gentiles into the Abrahamic covenant, which is why they were pushing them to get circumcised. Circumcision was a sign of the Covenant with Abraham. Look it up, it's there!

Paul was telling the Gentile believers they did not need to be circumcised to be a part of the covenant becausethe Gentiles were under a New Covenant, not the old one which required circumcision.

The covenant with Abraham that was passed on to Isaac and Jacob (Israel) and his descendants also included an inheritance to the land. Did Paul or anyone else ever advocate for the Gentile believers to possess the land of Judea (what it was called back then)?

Israel covers all people both Jews and gentiles

No, it does not. That is an interpretation you and whomever you learned this theology from put it there.

Not disagreeing with you there.

That still does not make the New Covenant the same as the Old Covenant, nor does it make Gentiles a part of the Old Covenant. (Why do you want to be a part of the Old Covenant anyway?)

The Lexicon and the Etymology of the word "church" disagree with you on this.

I do not use the KJV translation as my final authority. The word "church" does not mean "assembly" nor "called out", it means "Lord's house", which is an entirely different meaning.

The Holy Spirit was not included in Abraham's covenant.

The OP is about the blessings of Abraham transferring over to "the church". The issue of there being no difference between Jew and Greek is a matter of the New Covenant under Jesus, not the Old Covenant blessings of Abraham.

Explain this one with Scriptural references please?

Paul is telling the NT church that circumcision is no longer required by everyone.

He was teaching circumcision is that of the heart-Rom 2:29-

Physical circumcision was a temporary custom. we are all one now with Jesus.

Circumcision is nothing-the only thing that matters is keeping the commandments of God-1Cor 7:19

Israel is made up of 12 tribes which are descendants of Abraham not just Judah and Benjamin

The Holy Spirit was always a promise made by God to His people-The advent of the NT church fulfilled that promise for all mankind

The meaning of Israel is from the Bible dictionaries 

Paul is telling the NT church that circumcision is no longer required by everyone.

Circumcision is nothing-the only thing that matters is keeping the commandments of God-1Cor 7:19

Israel is made up of 12 tribes which are descendants of Abraham not just Judah and Benjamin

The Holy Spirit was always a promise made by God to His people-The advent of the NT church fulfilled that promise for all mankind

The Gentiles do not need to be circumcised because we are not under the covenant of Abraham. We are under the New Covenant of Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is a part of Jesus' New Covenant, not a part of of the old Abrahamic Covenant.

Just because the word "Israel" has a meaning, that does not mean his name applies to us.

The Gentiles do not need to be circumcised because we are not under the covenant of Abraham. We are under the New Covenant of Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is a part of Jesus' New Covenant, not a part of of the old Abrahamic Covenant.

Just because the word "Israel" has a meaning, that does not mean his name applies to us.

God uses names in the bible a lot of times to reflect a purpose or signify what the person represents - Jesus means " God is our salvation ".

Abraham, Israel, received physical promises but the spiritual promises of the covenant were to come with the ministry, crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.

Heb 8: 6-8 -shows the old covenant had been broken by disobedience-and 2 Cor 3:6-9 show the new covenant is part of the better promises

With Jesus we see the physical aspects of the old covenant like sacrifices, circumcision are no longer required. Jesus represents the new priesthood.

Circumcision can be voluntary but not necessary for salvation regardless of physical lineage or heritage. Viewing circumcision as necessary, even to the Jewish converts to Christianity  would imply that faith and the blood of Jesus was not enough for them.

We obey the law of circumcision when our attitudes are circumcised. We no longer need an outward sign with our savior Jesus Christ. We are keeping both covenants with the better promises of inward obedience written in our hearts. The physical promised land was Canaan -the spiritual promised land is the Kingdom of God.