IGNORED

Am confused about an issue.

Guest HisG

Guest shiloh357

Well not so fast. They asked Jesus if it was o.k. to put away your wife for any reason. That was the BIG debate in those days. Only some of the Jews believed that you could divorce your wife for any reason under the sun. But Jesus clearly came down on the conservative side, which disagreed with divorces for any reason. Jesus' answer was so conservative that the disciples thought it would therefore be best not to marry at all.

I understand the cultural context very well. There is no reason to believe that Jesus was speaking only for that time and place.

I admit, I know my own humanity. I fault no one for divorce. I can't promise I will never divorce; relationships can only give so much and they are not always puppy dogs and rainbows. I'm not here to bash anyone. We have a 50 percent divorce rate in the USA. Is it any better than it was 2000 years ago?

HI KCO2, the above quote doesn't apply to this thread or the situation mentioned by the OP.  I was addressing a different context and a different issue and my comments were correct when applied to the context of that discussion. 

Edited by shiloh357
Removed quote

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Several have mentioned divorce and remarriage in the case of a spouse cheating, but I'll add one more.

1 Cor 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I was married to a man who was a Rabbi, and did not believe in Jesus when I was saved. My new belief in Jesus caused tremendous issues. My ex had no such belief, and no interest in Jesus at all. He tried to talk me out of my belief. My belief was risking his job and mine, so, he wanted a divorce. I was the principal of the synagogue Hebrew/religious school. I was fired. He left and found another congregation.   

Guest shiloh357

Well not so fast. They asked Jesus if it was o.k. to put away your wife for any reason. That was the BIG debate in those days. Only some of the Jews believed that you could divorce your wife for any reason under the sun. But Jesus clearly came down on the conservative side, which disagreed with divorces for any reason. Jesus' answer was so conservative that the disciples thought it would therefore be best not to marry at all.

I understand the cultural context very well. There is no reason to believe that Jesus was speaking only for that time and place.

I admit, I know my own humanity. I fault no one for divorce. I can't promise I will never divorce; relationships can only give so much and they are not always puppy dogs and rainbows. I'm not here to bash anyone. We have a 50 percent divorce rate in the USA. Is it any better than it was 2000 years ago?

Not so fast, KCO2...    Matt. 5:32 is not the discussion about divorcing one's wife for any reason.   Matt. 5:32 was from the Sermon on the Mount.  Jesus was addressing rabbnic accesses in that sermon and frivolous divorces were part of those excesses.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

It is very difficult for a man to raise the children of another man when the biological father remains around the children. The wife may never really consider her new husband to be in charge of her children and allow him to be the authority figure he is meant to be in the home. Women must be protective, but should support him and present a united front to the kids or the kids will divide and conquer, becomming manipulative. They do that in normal homes but are much worse in "broken" homes. They play on the guilt. The kids should not have the option of running to the other parent if they don't like the rules of their home.

These are some of the many practical reasons it is best not to date or remarry, especially when there are children. Kids from 12 up will rarely accept a new parent and will try to break up a marriage so the bio parents can reunite. After the youngest is gone from the home the situation might be better for remarriage. Some will never accept a new spouse.

I am just speaking from the situations I have seen over the years. My husband was from a home where each parent adopted the other parent's children. It occurred when they were 4-7 years old but the oldest sibling kept the home divided.. My best friend had the teen age girls drive her out of the home when she married a man with children. They went through years of counseling but he refused to discipline his daughters or protect his wife from their abuse. Our son allowed an "open adoption" of his first child and she also divided the home. The only case where this worked was when the child never learned she had been adopted by her dad when a toddler till after she was 60 and her dad had died.

There must be homes where this has worked out well, but I am not aware of them. It is best to obey God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Several have mentioned divorce and remarriage in the case of a spouse cheating, but I'll add one more.

1 Cor 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I was married to a man who was a Rabbi, and did not believe in Jesus when I was saved. My new belief in Jesus caused tremendous issues. My ex had no such belief, and no interest in Jesus at all. He tried to talk me out of my belief. My belief was risking his job and mine, so, he wanted a divorce. I was the principal of the synagogue Hebrew/religious school. I was fired. He left and found another congregation.

:thumbsup: I agree.