IGNORED

How do scientists determine we share 98% of our DNA with Chimps?

jerryR34

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

"How do scientists determine we share 98% of our DNA with Chimps?"  I've asked this question several times to YEC proponents and have not gotten the right answer.  I believe, if you are going to debate science, you should understand the current consensus even if you do not believe it, otherwise how can you disprove it.  Most here do not believe we evolved from a common ancestor with chimps, but do not understand what evolution actually states.  So, anyone have the answer?

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

There is a few problems here.  First, the number is at best around 90%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121106201124.htm

Second, if you are going to claim that shared DNA proves evolution you need to offer some sort of support for that claim.

If you can offer some support for your claim I would be happy to explain how the DNA is compared.

There is a few problems here.  First, the number is at best around 90%

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121106201124.htm

Second, if you are going to claim that shared DNA proves evolution you need to offer some sort of support for that claim.

If you can offer some support for your claim I would be happy to explain how the DNA is compared.

Nope, the article does not explain it.  I am not saying the similarity proves evolution; I'm just trying to gauge the knowledge of evolution of the folks here.  I too often see straw men put up and torn down by those who do not have a grasp on the subject.  This is pretty basic, so again, just a gauge...

Edited by jerryR34

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

If the similarity does not support evolution, how can describing gauge our knowledge of evolution?

You are making no sense

There is a difference between understanding evolution and believing in it.  I'm saying if one is aguing against evolution, one should understand the science behind it.  Knowing how science says we share 98% of our genome with chimps is not saying that evolution is true, but it does say that you've made an informed decision.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Many people rely on creationist websites and publications to inform them of evolution. It would be really good for folks to take a primer course to better fill out their knowledge.

"How do scientists determine we share 98% of our DNA with Chimps?"  I've asked this question several times to YEC proponents and have not gotten the right answer.  I believe, if you are going to debate science, you should understand the current consensus even if you do not believe it, otherwise how can you disprove it.  Most here do not believe we evolved from a common ancestor with chimps, but do not understand what evolution actually states.  So, anyone have the answer?

~

Beloved, I Believe If Your Going To Debate Creation

How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Should the created thing say of the one who made it, "He didn't make me"? Does a jar ever say, "The potter who made me is stupid"? Isaiah 29:16 (NLT)

You Must First Know

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:5-6 (NIV)

The God

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

Of Creation

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7

Many people rely on creationist websites and publications to inform them of evolution. It would be really good for folks to take a primer course to better fill out their knowledge.

:thumbsup:

The Word Of One Who Was There  

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  John 1:1-3 (NIV)

Would Be A Good Start

:)

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Actually scientists do know that we humans share a common ancestor with chimps. The theory of evolution dictates that through the process of natural selection we have slowly mutated from single celled organisms to where we are today. Evolution is not a direct process. Think  of evolution as more of a huge family tree than a direct linear line of your immediate family members. A mutation is a deformity. We can see these in people today. Most of the time these mutations are non beneficial, but sometimes depending on the creatures environment the mutation may help he creature with survival. This creature with the "superior genes" will be most likely to reproduce an pass  on it's genetic code. This process has slowly gone on on our plane for billions of years. Only in the past few million years have Chimps and other animals appeared on the earth. We humans back a long time ago had a common ancestor. Going back to the family tree analogy you could think of a chimp as humanity's distant cousin. We did not only come from apes though. We have many other ancestors. Depending on how far you look back in the timeline of life on earth. If you go back about 3.7 billion years ago you may find the first living organisms. All living means is a reproducing molecule so it wouldn't be anything extravagant but it would be enough.  On the other hand if you look at life today you see how diverse and beautifully complex life on earth is. We Are a result of that one reproducing molicule.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There is a difference between understanding evolution and believing in it.  I'm saying if one is aguing against evolution, one should understand the science behind it.  Knowing how science says we share 98% of our genome with chimps is not saying that evolution is true, but it does say that you've made an informed decision.

So are you saying in your profile description that you don't believe in god or evolution, because if you are saying that you don,t believe in god then i am righ with you on that one.