Sign in to follow this  
Followerof1

In need of some dating-ish advice?

I need some advice I am a (male) Christian teenager, and I have a really close, dear friend, who is a female.  We spend a lot of time together and know each other really well, BUT both of us are totally against dating!  Even so, everybody believes that we are, consequently freaking out both of our parents.  Although we are not dating we see the possibility of it much, much later in life.  Now my question is what should I/we do to stop people from thinking that we are dating.  But it is also not as simple as that, we are close; during a ruff time of my life I tried to kill myself, she saved me and is the only one, to this day, to know of it!  Because of that we both have an immense trust and Christianly love for each other.  We meet every other week (at the coffee shop) to pray, read our Bibles, and talk.  So in recap its a mess... you may not see why stopping a rumor (and our parents from freaking out) is so important, but once a rumor starts, if not stopped, it snowballs into something ugly!  I try not to worry, however, about my reputation (what Man sees of me), but instead my character (what God knows of me), then let God handle my reputation.  I would also ask advice from our youth leaders, but they would just say that we are dating (which we are not!).  Anyways sorry for the long post, but its really been bothering me... Any good, Spirit lead, Christian advice???

P.S. We spend much more time together then that, generally week days 6-61/2 hours (mainly school), and on week ends 3-31/2 hours.  I only mentioned the coffee shop, because that's what people get tripped up on the most.

~Jayme

Edited by Followerof1

Welcome Jayme.

Meeting every other weekend in a coffee shop to pay, study and talk is not spending a lot of time together.  Am I missing something here?

As for the truth, sit down and talk WITH your parents.  Ask them why they see this relationship in a light it is not in?

Welcome to Worthy! One Light took the words out of my computer!! Is there some reason you cannot talk to your parents? or is it that you do not want them to know of the attempted suicide? Trust God, pray that your parents will understand but do tell them - there is nothing worse than a mother who is worried - and boy do I know that !!

Hello and welcome to worthy.

People will beileve what they want to beileve; what thier eyes only show them. They want to beileve that the two of you are dating because, in thier limited view, a male and female can not solely remain friends. It's the sad state of the world we now live in. My advice to you is to let both of your parents know what is really going on between you do; that you're just very good friends who love each other as God commands. Don't be overly concerned with what those people who are spreading this rumor say; don't allow them to steal away the joy that is in your friendship.

I need some advice I am a (male) Christian teenager, and I have a really close, dear friend, who is a female.  We spend a lot of time together and know each other really well, BUT both of us are totally against dating!  Even so, everybody believes that we are, consequently freaking out both of our parents.  Although we are not dating we see the possibility of it much, much later in life.  Now my question is what should I/we do to stop people from thinking that we are dating.  But it is also not as simple as that, we are close; during a ruff time of my life I tried to kill myself, she saved me and is the only one, to this day, to know of it!  Because of that we both have an immense trust and Christianly love for each other.  We meet every other week (at the coffee shop) to pray, read our Bibles, and talk.  So in recap its a mess... you may not see why stopping a rumor (and our parents from freaking out) is so important, but once a rumor starts, if not stopped, it snowballs into something ugly!  I try not to worry, however, about my reputation (what Man sees of me), but instead my character (what God knows of me), then let God handle my reputation.  I would also ask advice from our youth leaders, but they would just say that we are dating (which we are not!).  Anyways sorry for the long post, but its really been bothering me... Any good, Spirit lead, Christian advice???

~Jayme

Jamie,

You can't stop people opinions.  So, just say that you aren't.  it's really that simple.

Now, here is my own experience.

In college (so I was older than you, but much younger than what I am now), I became really close with a female.  We were always together.  Everyone thought we were a couple.  I mean, everyone.  I didn't care, but I swore that there was NO ATTRACTION between her and I.  But then one night, she was playing with a mutual friend (male) and I felt a measure of jealousy.  It was wierd.  Like, out of the blue I felt jealous.  It was at that time that I realized that I had feelings for her ... and I guess, somehow, she kinda felt the same ... and in a few months, we were boyfriend and girlfriend ... then we became engaged.  LOL

Let NATURE take its course.  And the truth is, sometimes external influences can influence a relationship.  if people keep saying you are ... don't be surprized if one day you actually are a pair.  lol 

... never know.

Every girlfriend I had, it just ... HAPPENED.  Wasn't looking for a partner.

So ... just live your lives as normal.  Hopefully, you are both born-again believers, or at least raised on strong Christian principles (we all know sex out of marriage is wrong, but we're all probably guilty of it), so, even if you go way out in left field, find your way back to center, which is in Jesus Christ.  I'm a grown man now.  My puppy love days are OVER.  lol  My marriage was rocky - really rocky.  Like, breaking off the edge of the cliff and falling into the ocean kinda rocky.  But then I met someone names Jesus.  Six years later, I'm still trucking, happily married.  Yeah, I know the word "marriage" may make you wanna gag right now.  And this is all about the future.  All I'm doing is planting a seed.  God will send someone else to water it at the appointed time. God Himself causes it to grow.

But for now, just enjoy the friendship that you have with her.  Don't worry what people say.  That doesn't hurt you in anyway.  

Welcome Jayme.

Meeting every other weekend in a coffee shop to pay, study and talk is not spending a lot of time together.  Am I missing something here?

As for the truth, sit down and talk WITH your parents.  Ask them why they see this relationship in a light it is not in?

I too echo the wise words of Alan.

Welcome to worthy 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Laurie Jade
      The past few days have been a bunch of small things that can easily have been fixed. my husband refuses to talk about things and it is like pulling teeth to get any of his feelings out of him. I told him i need him to communicate things with me so we can both work on things together. he thinks im trying to change him and that's just "how he is." which i explained is not true. it's a behavior things. how can we work on this? he went to bed still angry at me. I know in the Bible it talks about if someone becomes angry do not go to bed angry. So it really hurt me that he did. He's told me before that he just likes to be angry sometimes and he can't just get over it even after the problem has been dealt with. Please pray for our relationship. We just got married this December. 
    • By He4gaveMe2
      UPDATED: I have been trying to research. And I have been praying for clarity. And maybe it will just take time for me to understand what I need to understand.
      When I became a Christian again after a very long hiatus. Like over 25 years! I learned more about the 7 gifts. (I had a pentecostal friend that told me of them in passing before I rededicated). Anyhow, I never asked for any in great depth, but said in passing in prayer I really would love to heal people for him. 
      I never pushed though, because quite frankly, I didn't want God to give me something I wasn't prepared for instead of what I asked. HA!
      But last night while I was praying I was telling him whatever his will was regarding a situation I would understand. Well, in the middle of the night I was woken up, and I was very awake. Very aware I was awake, and worried I would miss my appointment at hospital in morning if I couldn't get back to sleep, type of awake.
      Well I had a vision! *sigh* It was extremely intense. And I realized he was showing me something really important. ( not sure I should go into it unless I understand things first. Unless I should for helps sake?) Cross that bridge later in this?
      But now I am trying to discern and pray for a little bit of understanding. And Test the spirits comes to mind. But when I was calling out heavenly Father the vision over and over, it did not go away. (Even when I walked away I still called out his name in fear of spiritual things and whatever was tormenting me so to speak, it would go away immediately. Not during this vision. So, I am thinking it definitely from the Heavenly Father.
      It was about spiritual warfare that I know. I'm not sure if about me (I'm leaning toward no) or it about things coming and glimpse of what's really going on in (war in heaven) coming here. It seemed metaphorical in some parts and literal in others parts. I am so confused. For those that have this gift... What can you advise? How do you know to interpret? How do you test the spirits? I mean technically this could be the enemy coming to confuse me. 
      I could not shake the feeling it gave me all day. And I realized if indeed this was his plan all along all those years ago... And that is my gift I will take it. And I realized I don't mind. (not that I'd really have a choice if i said I'd follow his will not mine). I find it odd timing. 
      Also please understand this.. When I pray and pour my heart out.. I do it in my head. My eyes are closed. The reason I do this is because I am very aware how the enemy works and if he hears me, or sees my actions or emotions, he knows how to try to prevent me easily knowing how to mess with me.
      So now.. this gift. Or is it? When do I know to share them? How do I know it really is a gift and not deception from other end? Just how exactly do I "test" the spirits? When do I share these things I'm shown? I started a blog a bit ago, so I can help other people understand the much deeper picture. And I thought also.. great timing... I put it off awhile and then I realized I was pushed to do it. So I guess this "gift" if real will be shared there as well, if and when I get to understand better if indeed real gift.
      Am I allowed to ask for other gifts???? I really still want to heal people. Including a healing over here would be great. lol Hard to do as much as I need and want when barely functioning. 
      OK Thanks in advance for any input! :-) 

A little history: 
      When I was a very young I was very sick.  In hospital a lot since a baby. But around 3 I started to see things and for some reason I calmed down when I saw something in my room in corner just standing there. I knew it was there to protect me, yet it still made me a little fearful. I had other experiences. But I was not born to Chrsitian family, so had no clue.  They didn't go to church until I was older. I became a christian when I was early teens.
      After I left home I had visions off and on. And were never wrong. Even though I wasn't Christian anymore, I still "believed" somewhat and had in back of my head. But I ended up praying and asking he take this away from me. (I never actually knew about Christian prophecy per say, and thought it was only in bible times. ) And I walked away so that would not have done anything for me or him. The ability to see was taken away as I asked.
      I was relieved! 

• By JMan108
      My girlfriend is coming up to visit me and she is obviously staying in my house (I still live with my parents since I'm in college). Can we share a bed when we know we're not going to be having sex? We have already said that is off the table and we know we're saving ourselves for marriage.
    • By Nikka
      Hi! I just hope someone could enlighten me with some christian advice that would help me get through with this.
      Its me finding it hard how to deal with my emotions everytime my husband gets to hang out with his friends, though he goes out very seldom just during reunions in his school-day friends & classmates. Our relationship is great no doubt we love each other have all the time for each other and grows better everytime. I just notice for three years of marriage I don’t know why it felt uncomfortable whenever he spend his time with them and enjoy their company. I admit, I’m a stay-at-home mom, an aloof type who doesn’t go out with friends always unlike him, being a leader on his school-day pals & is a friend to everybody. It felt bad like I’m ruining his social life. On the other hand I feel like I’m no part of it whenever he goes home and doesn’t share to me what had happened. Its like I’m missing a piece of his life that I don’t know about. I have no problem with our common circle of friends. He even spent all of his time to us his son everyday. However, I can’t deny the fact that it makes me uncomfortable when me and my son left out at home while he takes time with others and asking me to extend few more hours  with them. The other thing is that one of his college friends is his ex’s but they’re good friends now but regardless, I feel the same way with his other friends. Do I make myself selfish? I’ve been honest with him with this situation, we did talked and Ive tried to embrace this situation and get along with it but the moment he can’t limit his time it pisses me off and makes me feel less-priority. Its kinda unhealthy for our marriage and I need some fixin’..
      Thanks. 
      What are your thoughts?
      What were your experiences?
      Am I not alone?

• By CommittedHubby
      Greetings from the great state of Texas! Thank God that in my search for support, I have found you guys. 
      I have always been a half-kneeling Catholic (read: go to church on special holidays and maybe 3 or 4 more times a year). 
      But recent events that have shaken up my marriage have brought me to a point where I now realize I need Him more than ever. 
      I know I’m a noob right now and need moderator approval. I think I read somewhere that I am unable to share sensitive stuff at the beginning. But when that filter is lifted, I hope I can openly share my struggles to fully get your advice and support. In the meantime, please just send your prayers of healing over my way!
      thank y’all!