• Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

why-does-God-test-us.gif

Question: "Why does God test us?"

Answer:
When we ask why God tests us, or allows us to be tested, we are admitting that testing does indeed come from Him, as clearly taught in Scripture. Although we are forbidden to test Him (Deuteronomy 6:16; Matthew 4:7), when God tests His children, He does a valuable thing. David sought God’s testing, asking Him to examine his heart and mind and see that they were true to Him (Psalm 26:2; 139:23). In both the Old and New Testaments, the words translated “test” mean to prove by trial. Therefore, when God tests His children, the purpose is to prove that our faith is real. Not that God needs to prove it to Himself since He knows all things; rather, He is proving to us that our faith is real, that we are truly His children, and that no trial or test will overcome that faith.

In His Parable of the Sower, Jesus identifies the ones who fall away as those who receive the seed of God’s Word with joy, but as soon as a time of testing comes along, they fall away. James clearly explains that the testing of our faith develops perseverance, which leads to maturity in our walk with God. Perseverance in times of trial and testing will result in our spiritual maturity, our completeness (James 1:3-4). James goes on to say that testing is a blessing, because when the testing is over and we have “stood the test,” we will “receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him” (James 1:12). Testing and trying come from our heavenly Father who works all things together for good for those who love Him and who are called to be the children of God (Romans 8:28).

The testing or trials we undergo come in various ways. Becoming a Christian will often require us to move out of our comfort zones and into areas we have never encountered before. We’ve perhaps heard the saying ‘No pain – no gain’ when exercising our physical bodies. The same applies to exercising our faith in God. This is why James wrote ‘Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds’ (James 1:2). Testing our faith can be in small things like daily irritations; they may also be severe afflictions (Isaiah 48:10). Whatever the source of the testing from God, it is to our benefit to undergo the trials.

The account of Job is a perfect example of God allowing one of His saints to be tested by the devil. Job bore all his trials patiently and “did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing” (Job 1:22). However, the account of Job’s testing is proof that Satan’s ability to tempt us is limited by God’s sovereign control. No demon can test or afflict us with beyond what God has ordained for His perfect purpose and our benefit.

There are many examples that can be used to illustrate the positive results from our being tested. The Psalmist likens our testing to that of being refined like silver (Psalm 66:10). Elsewhere in Scripture we can read of our trials as that of gold being refined in order to remove all its impurities (1 Peter 1:7). By the testing of our faith, God causes us to grow and mature into strong disciples who truly live by faith in Him, not by what we see (2 Corinthians 5:7).

When testing and trials come our way, we should receive them with joy, because we know that it is God who allows them to strengthen our faith. When we are knocked about in the storms of life, like the tree that digs its roots ever deeper for a greater grip, we must dig our roots deeper into God’s Word so we can withstand whatever comes against us.

Most comforting of all, we know that God will never allow us to be tested beyond what we are able to handle and in all things will provide a way out of the test (1 Corinthians 10:13). This does not mean He will remove the trial from us. Why would He when He says trials are for our benefit? Rather, the “way out” is the way through. the trial, with Him ever faithful by our side, until we come out on the other side of it by His grace and power, stronger and more mature Christians.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/why-does-God-test-us.html#ixzz2ugRLkB9u

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I sometimes think that if a person is going through a trial too joyfully, it isn't doing much good.  I believe the trial is to bring us to the point of breaking.  I know the Lord will not give us more than we can handle.  But, what He says I can handle and what I believe I can handle is two different marks, His being the greater. 

If Jesus Christ learned obedience by the things he suffered, how shall we not learn any other way?    Which brings to mind a question, when was Jesus Christ ever disobedient, so that He had to learn obedience?

Quantrill

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I have found with my own life that God has revealed Himself to me in my darkest times. I was such a late bloomer in my younger years (teens-to my 30s). I just went along with people, was always trying to be there for people good or bad, I had convictions but nobody cared to hear them (for at least I thought) and even I found myself bored to hear my own convictions and in time I became lost and would cry out to God and when the pain hits it was overwhelming I discovered my true character, the real priorities of my life, When such pain and pressure I felt with life. I truly believe the intensity of the pain you need a belief system in God cause troubles will come and deeper they will be, because God will not allow us to rely on things in life that take us away from Him. I am happy where I am at now and still learning in Him every day, it has been a beautiful journey, and everything you Believe will get tested. Troubles will always come and I have God to get me through them.

desi

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Quantrill

God Bless you & welcome to Worthy......I like what you had to say about "to the point of breaking"hmm,I do know it but Praise & Glory to God He always carries me through all trials & tribulations.......I am truly grateful for Jesus always keeping His promise to never leave or forsake us!!!!

I don;t know that Jesus had to learn anything Himself but to show us what obedience truly is........?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Blessings Quantrill

God Bless you & welcome to Worthy......I like what you had to say about "to the point of breaking"hmm,I do know it but Praise & Glory to God He always carries me through all trials & tribulations.......I am truly grateful for Jesus always keeping His promise to never leave or forsake us!!!!

I don;t know that Jesus had to learn anything Himself but to show us what obedience truly is........?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks and pleased to meet you.  Yes, I praise Him also as He does get us through. 

There is a verse, Hebrews 5:8 that I was speaking to.  " Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered".    Possibly His obedience was learned, not because He was ever disobedient or could be disobedient, but because He now could be obedient in the midst of feeling and suffering as man.  

Again, peasure to speak to you.

Quantrill

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Quantrill

Well said.(to God be the Glory)..............& my pleasure as well,I am looking forward to seeing alot more of you in the different forums here!!!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

God also humbles us through trials.

But as to not letting us suffer more than we can endure, God rescued my husband from extreme nerve pain in his neck. It was so severe that no narcotics or combination of narcotics could even touch it or take the edge off and he was bed ridden. Finally the physical stress it caused did further damage to his already badly damaged heart. Our pastors annointed him with oil and prayed for his healing. Within hours the severe pain was gone. He still has arthritis in his neck with stiffness and occasional pain. But the severely pinched nerve was healed so that he can endure it. The extra heart problems remain. But now he can function.

Willa

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

I think the greatest example ... is Job.

God always knows the end from the beginning.  He is not looking for an answer ... but giving you an OPPORTUNITY.

An opportunity to do what?  To glorify Him, liberate your soul, and to shame your accuser!

Also, it's not that we are forbidden to test God, for the Scriptures clearly say to test Him in Malachi 3:10.  Clearly, o "taste and see" the goodness of the Lord.  TRY God.  But do not TEMPT Him.  It's all about context and application ... and the desire of your heart.  I can test God through obedience.  Like, if He PROMISED something, I could put myself in discomfort so that I can LEARN His faithfulness, and SEE His power.  But, if I do something because I want to gain from it, well, He may hide His face from me. 

Be wise about it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Yes The Lord does give us more than we can handle...that we may turn to Him, who alone is able will bring us through.

2 Cor 1:8-10

For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life. Yes, we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead, 10 who delivered us from so great a death, and does[a] deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

God doesn't test us he allows us to be tested. It will bring us closer to Him.