Hashe

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

There was an article on the huffington post that I recently read (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unhappy_b_3930620.html). It was about the difference in expectations between Gen Y’s and the Baby boomers.  The article gave an equation of Happiness.

Happiness = Reality – Expectations.

One example of this is when we buy something. If we find something cheap that really does a great job, we feel like we have got a real bargain. If we spend a lot of money on something only to find out it is junk we feel disappointed and that someone has sold us a lie.

The article went on to say that Gen Y’s had huge expectations and their reality wasn’t meeting their expectations. This meant that many Gen Y’s were facing disappointment with life. In contrast the Baby Boomer’s had few expectations, having parents who lived through World Wars and The Great Depression and their reality exceeded their expectations. Therefore Baby Boomers were generally happier.

Another way of looking at this is disappointments occur when our reality doesn’t meet our expectations.  People face disappointments with God when the reality of God in their life doesn’t meet their expectations.

One of my former leaders told me the story of how she came to faith in Jesus. She was at church and the preacher asked, ‘Do you want love, peace and joy?’ And she thought, ‘Well who doesn’t want that?’ So she responded to the alter call.

Her reality in following Jesus wasn’t just love, peace and joy and then she experienced disappointments with God. She had some questions to ask. Does my disappointment mean that Jesus isn’t real? Or was my expectation wrong? Was I sold a life? What does it really mean to follow Jesus?

Because my former leader had a real relationship with Jesus she was able to work through some of her disappointments. She turned to the Bible, particularly the gospels, and putting aside her preconceived ideas, read for herself who Jesus really is and what he taught.

In an earlier post I talked about how Jesus came to save us from our sins, not from our circumstances. When we are ‘sold’ a Jesus who saves us from our circumstances we are bound to experience disappointment.

With so many people reportedly leaving churches, it makes we wonder, what Jesus they were sold? And what Jesus do I sell to others?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

With so many people reportedly leaving churches, it makes we wonder, what Jesus they were sold? And what Jesus do I sell to others?

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  3

We are disappointed when we expect something from the Lord which the Lord never promised.

Happiness = Reality – Expectations?

How about Happiness = Rosy Expectations - Disappointments.

Hope deferred maketh the heart sick.

But ultimately, how can we be disappointed when we freely receive all things?

He Who spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all; how shall He not also with Him freely give us all things.

You shouted! 

"THE ONLY THING WE TRULY OWN IN THIS LIFE IS OUR "KNOWLEDGE"."

-- thus saith the Internet Troll Crank.

Actually, I regard the whole capital letter business as nonsense.  Inserting caps doesn't bother me at all, neither does it hurt my ears!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You shouted! 

Actually, I regard the whole capital letter business as nonsense.  Inserting caps doesn't bother me at all, neither does it hurt my ears!

.....   and the sky in your world is what color???

You shouted! 

.....   and the sky in your world is what color???

Blue, except when I lived in England!

I think that you have it right. Many people are leaving the church - mainly the building. They have received a bill of goods from pastors who are more afraid of offending their congregants and loosing their money than they are of teaching about Christ and against sin. So, they are forming their own home meetings - small groups - to know each other and the Lord in a personal way. That is the way it was in the beginning, and the way it will be at the end.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Hashe...

I don't know how anyone else feels about all this but I get awfully tired of the blame always pht on what one hears from the pulpit.....is it not each mans responsibility to see that the things they are being "sold" are truly what the Bible teaches......is not each person accountable for their Salvation?

I happen to be blessed to have a wonderful Pastor who tells it like it is & refers to Scripture only....but you must know there is not a time that I just take that for granted & he always encourages us to read these things for ourselves,,,,,,what we have is a very lazy generation,IMO

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Pastors are to be leaders and caretakers of their "flocks." John 21:16-17 "Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep." (NIV)

In this exchange, Jesus was emphasizing tending the sheep in a supervisory capacity, not only feeding but ruling over them. This expresses the full scope of pastoral oversight, both in Peter’s future and in all those who would follow him in pastoral ministry. Peter follows Jesus’ example and repeats this same Greek word poimaino in his first pastoral letter to the elders of the churches of Asia Minor: “Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers” (1 Peter 5:2).