IGNORED

God as husband

Guest HisG

Is it wrong to regard God as your husband? (Single females of course)

There seems to be a few schools of thought.

I always thought it was ok because of what Scripture says but I read somewhere the other day that one really shouldn't.

So....?

I don't think God offers himself to women that way anywhere in Scripture.

Shiloh, I'm not talking about in that human physical sense.

Eg: Hosea/Isaiah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Isaiah 54:5 - "For your husband is your Maker, Whose name is the LORD of hosts ; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth.

This was a corporate word to Israel, not a personal word.

That said, men and women who were married earlier in life (and still married) really cannot understand what it is like to be a single woman. We have a strong need for a protector, provider, lover. Without that, we feel vulnerable - for lack of a better word I can think of. Even women who are self-sustaining and all - unless they are ultra-feminists - crave that sense of security.

If God can be the "father to the fatherless", why can He not be the "husband to the husband-less"?

After all, Jesus is called our Bridegroom. Yes, it is corporate to the "Church", but does He not give to us love, protection, provision, security? No, it's not the same as the physical presence, but we still find this in Him.

Guest Butero

The only people I know of that look at God as their husband are nuns.  I don't see what the purpose would be in it, and then, what happens if a woman decides to marry later on? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see any problem with a single woman referring to God as her protector. That is what He is right? The ultimate protector and the ultimate counselor. He wants us to rely more on him when we are single male or female. The goal is if she puts God first in her life and she marries, that her and her husband can put God in the center of their marriage. Some people don't feel called to be married. So what if they don't? Christ is the almighty God and Father, Who is better to follow than our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I feel its up to the person, I personally would tend to look at God as my Father, and not a husband form, but that's just me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

God told Israel as a nation that He was their husband.  There is a spiritual principal and not a literal one that I can see.

I remember discussions in one forum (not this one) where someone thought Jesus was their 'boyfriend'   :huh:  and that went on for pages and pages

I don't think Jesus is our boyfriend and I don't think that God is our husband.  God the Father...as Father, wouldn't he care for single women AND everyone else?

Just my thoughts...

Why would someone consider God as husband...I find that uncomfortable...I don't think it so...Father on the other hand, seems to provide the same care with a different picture

and yes, many nuns do consider themselves 'married' as they have taken vows for celibacy....and even wear a gold ring on their left hand...when I was single, I never thought God was or wanted

to be my husband.  I think that application is a misunderstanding from the OT

As Father, God cares for a married couple also...how does it make sense that God would be someone's husband and then if they get married, what?  They divorce God?

Not meaning to be sarcastic and I can see how that might come across that way, but I find no logic (or scripture) in the idea God is a husband to single women

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings HisG!

Personally ,my relationship with God is as Father & Daughter but I do consider Him to be my everything,which would include Husband (as we are Christs Radiant Bride)but I do not think this is meant only for women without a husband but rather as a Body of believers,the Body of Christ..........when a man & a woman marry they become one flesh just as "we"(Christs Body ,His Church) are One with Him & He is our Head

I do not see anything wrong with anyone looking at their relationship with God as their Husband............after all,our relationship with our Father in Heaven is the most Perfect ,Intimate relationship we can ever hope to  have,,,,,,,,thank You Jesus!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Guest shiloh357

I don't think God offers himself to women that way anywhere in Scripture.

Shiloh, I'm not talking about in that human physical sense.

Eg: Hosea/Isaiah

I realize that.  But God presents Himself to us as Father, Redeemer, Savior, Lord, King, Judge, Guardian, Healer, Shepherd, Provider, Friend, and Creator.  Those are the general ways God has chosen to relate to us as human beings.   Even on a spiritual or redemptive level, God never relates to human beings personally as "husband."

God did call himself the "husband" of Israel, but it was on a corporate level.  He was talking about His relationship with that nation and imagery of marriage conveyed to them just how serious God was about how he would relate them nationally.