Guest shiloh357

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

It's rare to find someone who will give all their possessions away and go follow Jesus in america. It's just not realistic in this world anymore, no matter what age you are. Everyone is banking on the corporation idea.

I reread the first post and I still dont see the connection your post makes to the topic Shiloh posted.

Guest DRS81

It's rare to find someone who will give all their possessions away and go follow Jesus in america. It's just not realistic in this world anymore, no matter what age you are. Everyone is banking on the corporation idea.

I reread the first post and I still dont see the connection your post makes to the topic Shiloh posted.

From OP: A couple years ago I attended a splashy conference full of vibrant energy. The speakers donned hipster clothes (they knew the trend before it became a thing), shared relevant messages, and generally pumped me up to rah-rah-rah follow Jesus. I left the conference energized but also a bit jaded and cynical. Where were the matriarchs and patriarchs of the faith?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  3

Also it is not so common to find someone in the USA with 2 coats, or who follows the missionary rules of Mat 10.  All this underscores that not all scripture is directly to us, though it is all for us.  Adam was told to be a gardener; but don't feel guilty if you are not one.  Noah was told to build an ark, but don't waste your time on that project.

The Lord Jesus had a special ministry to Israel under the Law of Moses, which He taught was to be strictly observed.  And He had a special announcement to Israel:  "Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."  Thus one does not properly approach the "sayings of Jesus" in the gospels without recognizing those facts.  The scripture specifically addressed to the Church mostly starts at Acts 2, after the ascension of Christ.

From OP: A couple years ago I attended a splashy conference full of vibrant energy. The speakers donned hipster clothes (they knew the trend before it became a thing), shared relevant messages, and generally pumped me up to rah-rah-rah follow Jesus. I left the conference energized but also a bit jaded and cynical. Where were the matriarchs and patriarchs of the faith?

How does that relate to giving away all of their possessions? 

Also it is not so common to find someone in the USA with 2 coats, or who follows the missionary rules of Mat 10.  All this underscores that not all scripture is directly to us, though it is all for us.  Adam was told to be a gardener; but don't feel guilty if you are not one.  Noah was told to build an ark, but don't waste your time on that project.

The Lord Jesus had a special ministry to Israel under the Law of Moses, which He taught was to be strictly observed.  And He had a special announcement to Israel:  "Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand."  Thus one does not properly approach the "sayings of Jesus" in the gospels without recognizing those facts.  The scripture specifically addressed to the Church mostly starts at Acts 2, after the ascension of Christ.

Not all of us are called to be missionaries. Some are called to be pastors etc. That does not make someone less faithful. We all have our parts in the body of Christ.

Guest DRS81

Matt 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

And yet later in the new testament, they are not told they must do so. If you look at the sin of ananias and sapphira, it wasnt that they were in sin for not giving away everything. Peter even said it was theirs. The sin was in saying they would give it all away and then planning on keeping part of it after all. Lying about it. Paul also addressed something similar when he stated that different members had different roles, including those who were to support ministry with their wealth. At no point were they told to give it all away. And the context of what Jesus said was about loving the Lord above loving money and not about how one must give away everything. If you are led to do that, its fine. But it doesnt make one a patriarch to do so. And it doesnt mean one isnt a patriarch of faith if they do not do so. 

Guest DRS81

And yet later in the new testament, they are not told they must do so.

However, I do believe Matt 19:21 is speaking about a specific wealthy person that Jesus was talking too. Even so, why would Jesus tell us to sell our possessions and then later not to sell. Do you have scripture that states not to sell.

Guest shiloh357

Matt 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Yes, but Jesus was talking to a particular man who was extremely rich and Jesus was exposing His heart when He told the man to give up all He had.   Jesus was not making a general command to everyone. 

Guest shiloh357

I wan't correlating it to the OP.  I was addressing your question.

Oh, I hadn't thought of footing the bill as being a part of volunteering?

Donating money or donating/volunteering time and talent all go hand-in-hand.   Not every old person may have the stamina to volunteer their time to due to health issues.

In most churches, younger people/couples don't tithe.  80-90% of the funds that come into a church are given by about 10% or so of the congregation.  Most tithers tend to be older people.  Younger people today don't tithe as a general rule. 

Churches that try to focus primarily on younger people and putting a young, sexy, good looking face on their church will find that to be a huge mistake.