• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This reminds me of something.

I know of a youth leader in his late 30's who has a deep love for God and a deep love for the youth he ministers to.

In one conversation I was in with him speaking of a disagreement he had with another pastor over who should be a youth leader and how that leader should operate, a point this man made strongly stood out to me:

(Paraphrasing because I am not good at recalling word-for-word)

The youth today are looking for "fathers", not for a youth leader.

What he meant by that, is the young people today (at least not around here; I don't know where the rest of the nation is at) are not interested in a buddy or a teacher or a coordinator of gatherings. They want a spiritual father - a mentor, a guide, someone who builds a relationship with them that will cease once the kid grows up, someone who will invest in their lives.

The youth today are looking for "fathers", not for a youth leader.

What he meant by that, is the young people today (at least not around here; I don't know where the rest of the nation is at) are not interested in a buddy or a teacher or a coordinator of gatherings. They want a spiritual father - a mentor, a guide, someone who builds a relationship with them that will cease once the kid grows up, someone who will invest in their lives.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

This is especially true for those growing up without a father in the home and its true for both men and women, but especially for the men. Its the same in my area too. There is such a need for mentors that its not funny. Scripture teaches that sort of thing too. Worship is great and has its place, but new converts need to be taught also.