alphaparticle

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

When replying to one of threads on this board I was inspired to think of past scientists who were believers, and inspired by their faith to study nature. One that came to mind immediately is one of my favorite overall physicists, Michael Faraday. Faraday was a devout lay preacher in a conservative Presbyterian sect aside from making groundbreaking physics discoveries, one of which is a large part of our life now (electromagnetic induction). While I was thinking about sharing this in response to this other thread, I couldn't help but wonder again at the question, why is there animus between the scientific community and community of believers?

The reason I find this so odd is that this is clearly a new phenomenon. It seems fundamentally needless that this is the case, and is more a matter of historical accident than a matter of principle. Even if you take evolution into account, why would accepting or rejecting evolution make one a better or worse physical chemist? I don't think that alone explains facts like the number of believers among scientists being so low as compared to the overall general population.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

well think of it this way, God is the creator of all things except of course man made logic so he also created science. the issue is man took that and made their idea of science

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

When replying to one of threads on this board I was inspired to think of past scientists who were believers, and inspired by their faith to study nature. One that came to mind immediately is one of my favorite overall physicists, Michael Faraday. Faraday was a devout lay preacher in a conservative Presbyterian sect aside from making groundbreaking physics discoveries, one of which is a large part of our life now (electromagnetic induction). While I was thinking about sharing this in response to this other thread, I couldn't help but wonder again at the question, why is there animus between the scientific community and community of believers?

The reason I find this so odd is that this is clearly a new phenomenon. It seems fundamentally needless that this is the case, and is more a matter of historical accident than a matter of principle. Even if you take evolution into account, why would accepting or rejecting evolution make one a better or worse physical chemist? I don't think that alone explains facts like the number of believers among scientists being so low as compared to the overall general population.

That is so Hilarious.

I wanted to take a break from Studying Plasma Physics LOL....so I said, what's going on with the forum; click on yours...and you bring up Michael Faraday and Electro- Magnetism. :thumbsup:

And then evolution...in the same post. :huh:    I was @ the Highest Point all day then crashed and burned all within 60 seconds.  Like that Ski Jumper on Wide World of Sports...."The Thrill of Victory and The Agony of Defeat., you know the one.

Get back to the serious stuff Alpha!!

Talk to me here....you got all these Astrophysicists Fumbling and Stumbling with: Dark Matter/Dark Energy, searching for Gravitons, conveniently forgetting (accidentally on purpose) Newton's Inverse Square Law, wondering where 97% of the mass of the Universe is and on and on pathetically trying to Prop Up 13th Century Alchemy Theories when they got a BIG CHUNK of some Answers Right in front of their Face.............PLASMA!!!!!!!

Hey I'm no expert in this stuff but....R Ya Kiddin Me??  I'm Stupified!!  My 10 year old Daughter can take a cursory look @ some of this and @ least say.....this needs a little further Investigation.

And They can Replicate alot of the Tenets/Characteristics and TEST these IN A LAB for !##$$##%$^%(&(&*$$!@&&(&*%^#$!@.  I'm Close to a Conniption Fit  :24:

They need to get back in A BIG WAY to:  Maxwell, Faraday, Einstein, Bohm, Birkeland, Langmuir, Alfven, Peratt, et al.

You need to make this happen Alpha....YOU!!!  LOL  Make A Stand tell them you'll QUIT if they don't!!!  :thumbsup:

well think of it this way, God is the creator of all things except of course man made logic so he also created science. the issue is man took that and made their idea of science

~

Man Made Sin

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:13-15

God Made Logic

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

Science Makes Fantasy

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

That is so Hilarious.

I wanted to take a break from Studying Plasma Physics LOL....so I said, what's going on with the forum; click on yours...and you bring up Michael Faraday and Electro- Magnetism. :thumbsup:

And then evolution...in the same post. :huh:    I was @ the Highest Point all day then crashed and burned all within 60 seconds.  Like that Ski Jumper on Wide World of Sports...."The Thrill of Victory and The Agony of Defeat., you know the one.

Talk to me here....you got all these Astrophysicists Fumbling and Stumbling with: Dark Matter/Dark Energy, searching for Gravitons, conveniently forgetting (accidentally on purpose) Newton's Inverse Square Law, wondering where 97% of the mass of the Universe is and on and on pathetically trying to Prop Up 13th Century Alchemy Theories when they got a BIG CHUNK of some Answers Right in front of their Face.............PLASMA!!!!!!!

Hey I'm no expert in this stuff but....R Ya Kiddin Me??  I'm Stupified!!  My 10 year old Daughter can take a cursory look @ some of this and @ least say.....this needs a little further Investigation.

And They can Replicate alot of the Tenets/Characteristics and TEST these IN A LAB for !##$$##%$^%(&(&*$$!@&&(&*%^#$!@.  I'm Close to a Conniption Fit  :24:

They need to get back in A BIG WAY to:  Maxwell, Faraday, Einstein, Bohm, Birkeland, Langmuir, Alfven, Peratt, et al.

You need to make this happen Alpha....YOU!!!  LOL  Make A Stand tell them you'll QUIT if they don't!!!  :thumbsup:

It might help if you read what I said with a calm spirit. You missed the point entirely.

Guest shiloh357

Science and faith are not at odds.  Never have been.   It is Evolution and the Bible that are at odds.   It is any attempt by science to explain the origin of our universe and the origin of life in a way that precludes God and factors Him out of the equation entirely, and the Bible that are at odds.

What many people don't understand is that this is a battle of worldviews, not a battle of science vs. faith.     One thing I noticed after the Nye/Ham debate and even before that debate took place is that Ham received death threats and extremely vulgar comments on his facebook page and on his website.   He wasn't merely ridiculed or belittled.  He reported all kinds of violently hateful things that people said to him  just because of his participation in that debate.   That shows that this is not an intellecual issue, but a spritiual one and it shows that there is more going on than a debate over different points of view.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

That is so Hilarious.

It might help if you read what I said with a calm spirit. You missed the point entirely.

==========================================================================

Calm Spirit ?

How do you know I didn't..... Special Evolution Mind Powers?

Do "Calm Spirits" have Particularly Acute Reading Comprehension Skills?

I read it and got the point thanks.

Figured with your background you may have some insight into Plasma's ....  Nothing more Nothing Less.  Sorry for derailing your OP on a tangent, there was no malicious intent.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  386
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  12/20/1991

~

Man Made Sin

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. James 1:13-15

God Made Logic

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

Science Makes Fantasy

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

I love how you always answer with scripture and not your own words and whats more you understnd the scriptures well enough to use it for the exact point you would have said in words- you didnt even need to twist it for it to fit the point exactly. honestly an ability like that simply amazing:]

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Shiloh357 - What many people don't understand is that this is a battle of worldviews, not a battle of science vs. faith.

This is a valid point but I would just suggest further that there is a considerable difference in the "debate" when terms are left open to interpretation. Evolution as an all encompassing worldview with naturalistic origins is quite different from evolution as a process without reference to origin/creation.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

The animus lies in the fact science does not need any gods.  I'm quite sure Faraday did not include his God in any of his equations.  I think many in religion feel threatened by this.  If science, even evolution, threaten your faith in Jesus Christ you should reexamine your faith, not your science.  Jesus gave us two great commandments that evolution does not impact.

Edited by jerryR34