• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Here is a question i read last week and has been on my mind, "Can we have a right relationship with God in exclusion of others?"

I remember as a child growing up on a farm, i would often climb up a tree far from where anyone would be, up so high i knew the branches would barely support my weight, it was amazing how different it seemed, even the wind sounded different somehow.  I've always thought i would be better off where no other people lived.  In the last 4 years or so, God has really put it in my heart to reach out to other people, only problem is the judgement i feel and hear, i can't seem to meet expectations people put on me.  

So it seems in my mind, that wanting to separate myself from the hurt (because people hurt people), would be a reflection of my relationship with God, and of course that is not a good reflection.

Thoughts?

Guest Butero

I don't understand how you are feeling anything from others when you are separated from others, and have been for years.  Are you saying that you have started the process of reaching out to others, and your experiences have been bad?  What kind of expectations are people putting on you, and are you literally saying they are things you are not capable of doing or don't want to do? 

I do believe you can have a right relationship with God and be all alone, at least in theory.  The problem is, you have said that God has put it on your heart to reach out to others, and if that is the case, how could you be ok if you are not obeying him?  In other words, until God told you to reach out to others, you were fine being alone, but now that God has shown you what he wants you to do, you should do it.  Perhaps it is only temporary, and a learning experience.  Just trust God and obey his voice.  If I am missing something here, let me know.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The problem is that we are called a body of Christ. As such we need to fit in among others. 1 Corinthians 12:12-36 goes into detail about how we all need each other. Ephesians 2:19-22 compare us to a building that is fit together to be a temple of the Holy Spirit. See also 1 Peter 2: 5.

Jesus said that we would be treated the same way as He was treated. He was rejected by men, especially the religious people. Learning to allow Christ's love and forgiveness to flow through us to these people is part of the growing process. It is how God helps us to identify with the sufferings of Christ so that we can be more like Him. We learn more of what He endured for our sakes and how deep His love is. But in doing so we also become a witness for Him. We learn to tell others what Christ has done to change us and how to receive Him into their lives. It is all a growing process, making Jesus Lord of our lives by obeying Him.

A person who chooses to be alone does not have much protection. Jesus sent people out 2 by 2, as sheep among wolves. Having just one person with you helps. Jesus said that where 2 or 3 are gathered in His Name, He is in the midst of them. And there are promises made for the prayers of those who are in agreement.

So I don't recommend people to be alone as Christians. I don't believe it is Jesus' intention. Even Jesus had 12 others, and 3 very close friends, Peter James and John..

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Here is a question i read last week and has been on my mind, "Can we have a right relationship with God in exclusion of others?"

I remember as a child growing up on a farm, i would often climb up a tree far from where anyone would be, up so high i knew the branches would barely support my weight, it was amazing how different it seemed, even the wind sounded different somehow.  I've always thought i would be better off where no other people lived.  In the last 4 years or so, God has really put it in my heart to reach out to other people, only problem is the judgement i feel and hear, i can't seem to meet expectations people put on me.  

So it seems in my mind, that wanting to separate myself from the hurt (because people hurt people), would be a reflection of my relationship with God, and of course that is not a good reflection.

Thoughts?

My first thought is that you are likely an introvert. Introverts need time alone and time away from people, especially crowds. We prefer hanging with only a few people at a time, don't care so much for meaningless social chit-chat, things like that.

There is nothing wrong with being an introvert.

In the same vein, introverts are more likely to be like a turtle when it comes to pain from others - hiding themselves inside a shell. This sounds like where you are at. I can relate.

Courage to come out of the shell is a mixture of forgiving those that hurt you, understanding that people who hurt others tend to do so out of their own hurt and self-defense mechanisms, finding healing of your own wounds in the Lord, and learning to care for the needs of others. This takes time.

Prayers and blessings on your journey.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Thoughts?

My first thought is that you are likely an introvert. Introverts need time alone and time away from people, especially crowds. We prefer hanging with only a few people at a time, don't care so much for meaningless social chit-chat, things like that.

There is nothing wrong with being an introvert.

Reading this response was somehow healing.  I've wondered how or where do i fit into the body of Christ.  There is another thread just started this morning, Pay attention to Jesus not the giant(s).  Realize i've been looking at the giants again for some time now.  

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

Hello hmbld,

Yes, Our interactions with human beings becomes very important and we don't always get the luxuary as christ followers to respond and react to what feels natural to us. Some of the hardest teachings from Jesus that we wrestle with. They are life giving words. As hard as they might be. World is filled with broken people. No one said following Jesus was easy, it can be down right inconvenient. Just look for opportunity to forgive and build a bridge with a desire that the person may meet Jesus in their life.

In this will give Jesus the opportunity to work on your heart.

blessings,

desi