FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Thought I understood the timeline of the Exodus, being 430 years but notice while reading the following verse a problem with my understanding:

And the name of Amram's wife was Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, whom her mother bare to Levi in Egypt: and she bare unto Amram Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam their sister.

Numbers 26:59

My misunderstanding is that if Jochebed was the daughter, Levi, she would have had to be very old when having Miriam let alone her younger brother Aaron and Moses.

Any thoughts? :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The record very likely skipped some generations. Matthew did this when writing Jesus' genealogy. Apparently, this was not an uncommon practice.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Thought I understood the timeline of the Exodus, being 430 years but notice while reading the following verse a problem with my understanding:

And the name of Amram's wife was Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, whom her mother bare to Levi in Egypt: and she bare unto Amram Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam their sister.

My misunderstanding is that if Jochebed was the daughter, Levi, she would have had to be very old when having Miriam let alone her younger brother Aaron and Moses.

Jochebed was Amram's father sister.  Amram had taken Jochebed for his wife.  Amram lived to be 137 years (Exodus 6:20).  Jochebed that was born in Egypt who was the daughter of Levi.  It was Amram and Jochebed who were the parents of Aaron, Moses and Miriam (Numbers 26:59).

Now scripture tells us that Aaron, Moses and Miriam's father Amran lived for 137 years.  Scripture tells us that the children of Israel was in Egyptian bondage for 430 years according to Genesis 15:13-14 and Galatians 3:17.   Scripture records the birth of Moses in Exodus 2:1-3 and how his mother Jochebed hid him for three months from being killed.  She couldn't hide him any longer and put him in an ark and placed him on the bank of the river.  Scripture tells us also in Exodus 2:4 that the sister of Moses stood in the distance to see what would become of him. 

We know Miriam was his sister and we can safely say that Miriam was older than Moses.  As chapter two continues on and tells that the daughter of Pharaoh had saw the ark on the river bank and told her maidens to fetch it for her.  After Moses was weaned by it's mother he was taken back to Pharaoh's daughter and she took him as her own child and Moses was raised up in the house of Pharaoh as God had spared his life.  Moses ended up killing an Egyptian when he was grown and had went out among the Hebrew children and saw the Egyptian beating on one of his brethren and he killed him then hid his body.  There was a witness to the Egyptian death and Moses got afraid that when Pharaoh heard about then he'd kill him. 

Moses ends up fleeing to the land of Midian and marries Zipporah.  After a certain amount of time went by the Pharaoh died and the children of Israel began to sigh because of the hard bondage and the began to cry out to God and God heard them.  And God began to raise up Moses and equipping him to deliver the children of Israel from out of Egyptian bondage.  Scripture tells us in Exodus 7:7 that Moses was  40 year old and Aaron was 43 year old when they spoke to the new Pharaoh who had doubled the work the Hebrew children had to do.

So what I'm thinking here is that the children of Israel was in slavary for 430 years.  So it must have been in the latter part of those years in which Amram the father of Aaron, Moses and Miriam had lived out the 137 years of his life.  The lifespan was longer back then and Moses was 40 years old and Aaron was 43 when they first went to speak to Pharaoh to let God's people go.  So if you was to take say 43 years being the age of Aaron off of the 430 years.  Then at the birth of Aaron the children of Israel would have already been in Egyptian bondage for 387 years.  Then if you took the 137 years in which Amram his father's lived on earth from those 387 years.  The children of Israel at the time of Amram's birth would have been is slavary to the Egytians prior to his birth for 200 years.  So it doesn't seem out of the ordinary based on the lifespan of the people as they lived longer lives than they do now.

The record very likely skipped some generations. Matthew did this when writing Jesus' genealogy. Apparently, this was not an uncommon practice.

Thanks for the excellent respond, Nebula, I was kinda thinking the same thing but I Chronicles 6:1-3, seems to state that Numbers 26:59, is pretty much spot on. 

Jochebed was Amram's father sister.  Amram had taken Jochebed for his wife.  Amram lived to be 137 years (Exodus 6:20).  Jochebed that was born in Egypt who was the daughter of Levi.  It was Amram and Jochebed who were the parents of Aaron, Moses and Miriam (Numbers 26:59).

Now scripture tells us that Aaron, Moses and Miriam's father Amran lived for 137 years.  Scripture tells us that the children of Israel was in Egyptian bondage for 430 years according to Genesis 15:13-14 and Galatians 3:17.   Scripture records the birth of Moses in Exodus 2:1-3 and how his mother Jochebed hid him for three months from being killed.  She couldn't hide him any longer and put him in an ark and placed him on the bank of the river.  Scripture tells us also in Exodus 2:4 that the sister of Moses stood in the distance to see what would become of him. 

We know Miriam was his sister and we can safely say that Miriam was older than Moses.  As chapter two continues on and tells that the daughter of Pharaoh had saw the ark on the river bank and told her maidens to fetch it for her.  After Moses was weaned by it's mother he was taken back to Pharaoh's daughter and she took him as her own child and Moses was raised up in the house of Pharaoh as God had spared his life.  Moses ended up killing an Egyptian when he was grown and had went out among the Hebrew children and saw the Egyptian beating on one of his brethren and he killed him then hid his body.  There was a witness to the Egyptian death and Moses got afraid that when Pharaoh heard about then he'd kill him. 

Moses ends up fleeing to the land of Midian and marries Zipporah.  After a certain amount of time went by the Pharaoh died and the children of Israel began to sigh because of the hard bondage and the began to cry out to God and God heard them.  And God began to raise up Moses and equipping him to deliver the children of Israel from out of Egyptian bondage.  Scripture tells us in Exodus 7:7 that Moses was  40 year old and Aaron was 43 year old when they spoke to the new Pharaoh who had doubled the work the Hebrew children had to do.

So what I'm thinking here is that the children of Israel was in slavary for 430 years.  So it must have been in the latter part of those years in which Amram the father of Aaron, Moses and Miriam had lived out the 137 years of his life.  The lifespan was longer back then and Moses was 40 years old and Aaron was 43 when they first went to speak to Pharaoh to let God's people go.  So if you was to take say 43 years being the age of Aaron off of the 430 years.  Then at the birth of Aaron the children of Israel would have already been in Egyptian bondage for 387 years.  Then if you took the 137 years in which Amram his father's lived on earth from those 387 years.  The children of Israel at the time of Amram's birth would have been is slavary to the Egytians prior to his birth for 200 years.  So it doesn't seem out of the ordinary based on the lifespan of the people as they lived longer lives than they do now.

This is a will studied and thought out responds, but unless my math is off, you miss subtracted 137 years form 387, it should be 250, and that leaves Kohath to have been about 155 years old when having Amram, if according to Jewish tradition Levi was the last of Jacob's twelve son to died after being in Egypt for approximately 95 years.

Thank you both for your we\ill thought out answers give me some things to ponder on.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I agree. Since land is inherited based on tribe, it is common for a person say of the tribe of Judah, to be called a son of Judah, or a daughter of Judah, even though Judah is not their direct father. It means that the person is a member of the tribe which descended from Judah.

In this case, the tribe of Levi does not inherit land, but serves in the Temple. Numbers 26 is taking a census, and in this case, is numbering those of the tribe of Levi. Sons of Levi.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the excellent respond, Nebula, I was kinda thinking the same thing but I Chronicles 6:1-3, seems to state that Numbers 26:59, is pretty much spot on. 

This is a will studied and thought out responds, but unless my math is off, you miss subtracted 137 years form 387, it should be 250, and that leaves Kohath to have been about 155 years old when having Amram, if according to Jewish tradition Levi was the last of Jacob's twelve son to died after being in Egypt for approximately 95 years.

Jacob was 130 years old when he and his sons was given a possession in the land by Joseph recorded in Genesis 9-11.  From the time Jacob and his sons took possession of their land in Egypt Jacob lived an additional 17 years and he died at the age of 149 Genesis 47:27-28.     At the time of Jacob's death the children of Israel had been in the land of Egypt for 17 years.  So this was the start of those 430 years that Israel was going to be in Egypt before their deliverance.  Add this into what has already been discussed and those 430 years are pretty much accounted for.

:thumbsup:

I agree. Since land is inherited based on tribe, it is common for a person say of the tribe of Judah, to be called a son of Judah, or a daughter of Judah, even though Judah is not their direct father. It means that the person is a member of the tribe which descended from Judah.

In this case, the tribe of Levi does not inherit land, but serves in the Temple. Numbers 26 is taking a census, and in this case, is numbering those of the tribe of Levi. Sons of Levi.

Thanks Qnts2, you and Nebula have come very close to the real question I was trying to ask, basically was Jochebed the daughter of Levi, or maybe his granddaughter or even great granddaughter,   I know that I Chronicles 6:1-3. deals with the family of Moses from Levi to Kohath to Amram, but makes no mention of Jochebed  which would be normal in the Jewish family lineage.  So perhaps you and Nebula have it correct, and daughter of Levi means descendant of Levi.

Jacob was 130 years old when he and his sons was given a possession in the land by Joseph recorded in Genesis 9-11.  From the time Jacob and his sons took possession of their land in Egypt Jacob lived an additional 17 years and he died at the age of 149 Genesis 47:27-28.     At the time of Jacob's death the children of Israel had been in the land of Egypt for 17 years.  So this was the start of those 430 years that Israel was going to be in Egypt before their deliverance.  Add this into what has already been discussed and those 430 years are pretty much accounted for.

:thumbsup:

I totally agree excellent post.