Hashe

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

The other day as I was driving along, a car came up behind me quickly and started flashing its lights. Where I live this is common for people who expect you to pull aside so that they can continue speeding along at as incredible pace which is well above the speed limit. What they expect is for me to break the law, so that they can break the law. It often gets me fired up. At times I’ve tried to offset my anger with the thought that, at least I’ve saved, and this person is acting anything like being saved. But lately I’ve realised this is a complete misuse of my identity as a child of God.

Matthew’s gospel moves from Jesus’ baptism by John at the end of chapter 3 to Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness.  At Jesus’ baptism he gets affirmed as God’s special son, by John, by the Father through a voice in heaven and through the Holy Spirit, who comes and stays on Jesus.

The first temptation questions this identity. Satan asks, ‘If you are the Son of God’. Of course he is the son of God. He knows it. He has just had it affirmed.

However, the temptation is to misuse that identity. If you are the Son of God use that power to make yourself something to eat. In other words, misuse your identity to make your life easily. You should have an easy life! You are the son of God!

However, the implication for Jesus if he did misuse his identity was to fail in his life goal.

When I realised this it made we think about how am I tempted to misuse my identity? Perhaps it is when I think of others as less than me because they ‘are unsaved’? Or perhaps it is when I treat others as less than me because they ‘are unsaved’? Or perhaps it is when I take for granted my relationship with Jesus?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

I have been guilty of this as well...I've seen people going around foul mouthed and behaving badly and thought ...well they are lost and don't realize  or care what they are saying or doing. As a child of God I know not to behave like that simply because I want my walk to please The Lord....we have scripture to show us how to live. I don't see myself as "better" than anyone ..just better off....having The Lord as my Savior. :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I go the speed limit.If someone comes behind me and flashes their lights....they flash their lights.I do not get angry.When both parties get angry is when you have road rage.They you have a big problem.

Guest Butero

I have never automatically looked at aggressive drivers as sinners.  Being a truck driver, I encounter them all the time.  They are just in a hurry, and they don't think about the hazard they cause to other drivers when they behave that way.  I just keep going as I was, and feel no responsibility to go out of my way to let them around.  As the OP said, they want you to break the law so they can speed. 

This isn't really the purpose of the OP.  It is about attitude.  Do I ever go around looking at others and thinking that I am saved, and they aren't or don't appear to be?  Sometimes I do that too, but usually for different reasons besides aggressive driving.  I will have bad thoughts towards the people with the bumper stickers that promote evil, like the one where it promotes acceptance of all religions, even the pagan ones, or the cars with stickers promoting Obama or abortion rights.  That is what usually will cause me to get an attitude towards the other person and say something under my breath about them.  I would say that Hashe makes a good point. 

BTW Hashe, I don't believe I have met you before.  Welcome to WB. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for your welcome and your comments butero.

It certainly is about attitude and how we can use being 'saved' or even having a special relationship with God for our purposes rather than for others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I can almost see someone's character,attitude,values and morals when they drive and how they drive.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I tend to slow down and not let them pass, and since I drive a 80,000+ pound vehicle, theres not much they can do about it. . .