• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Luke 3:11 ESV And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

Proverbs 28:27 ESV Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Matthew 25:35 ESV For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

We're all familiar with the command to feed the hungry. What I want to know is, is this command unconditional? What I mean is, are we to still provide food to those who are able to feed themselves, but won't, like someone who refuses to get a job when they could? How about those who already receive assistance of some kind, but do the wrong thing with it, like people who get welfare and buy cigarettes with it instead of food?

This comes to mind.....

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

But it's written to the church. Should this verse then only be applied to those who are in Christ?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/13/1968

Dear Sister...

I help feed the poor and do a little meals on wheels car run on a Sunday. I know that one of the people I help has money, but he does not have the correct cooking facilities for a Sunday roast lunch, I do not think about the money aspect really, you kind of will know who needs some food in their stomach?

If a person has enough food to spare then why not offer your childrens friends a meal, or you could invite people to lunch from church. I think that God calls a much needed situation to a persons heart, maybe to clothe - feed- or simply give a little hello and share a coffee with someone who is lonely. Some people really need a friendly smile from time to time. 

Can I ask if a situation has come into your life regarding this food issue? 

Love & Blessings Sis Agape  :wub:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This comes to mind.....

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

But it's written to the church. Should this verse then only be applied to those who are in Christ?

Is it loving for those who are truly in need for our resources to be given to those abusing the generosity of others or "the state"?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

You ask a good question....

For me personally, it's really quite simple.

If someone asks for help I will give it, and if they "ask amiss" or use it for something other than what was intended...well, I figure that is between them and the Lord.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Luke 3:11 ESV And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

Proverbs 28:27 ESV Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Matthew 25:35 ESV For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

We're all familiar with the command to feed the hungry. What I want to know is, is this command unconditional? What I mean is, are we to still provide food to those who are able to feed themselves, but won't, like someone who refuses to get a job when they could? How about those who already receive assistance of some kind, but do the wrong thing with it, like people who get welfare and buy cigarettes with it instead of food?

This comes to mind.....

If you are talking about those who  hold up a cardboard sign on the street I usually do not give to them.I know that there are alot of agencies and resources for those people.They can use their EBT cards for things they can eat.I might give them a bottle of water or a gift certificate for a burger but never cash.I do know that many,many are abusing the system.They are very dishonest.That is making it alot harder for those who are definately disabled and need the services.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

You ask a good question....

For me personally, it's really quite simple.

If someone asks for help I will give it, and if they "ask amiss" or use it for something other than what was intended...well, I figure that is between them and the Lord.

That is a good attitute to have as well.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I never met a Christian who was unwilling to own 2 coats.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Atwood, can you elaborate on what you've said and how it applies to the OP? Thanks.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  67

I never met a Christian who was unwilling to own 2 coats.

When I was homeless, (thirty years) I would have had no need for two coats and I was a Christian.

So you have just met one  :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,097
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings chloe......

God Bless you ,dear Sister....I would have to agree with McGyver,for me personally ,,,,,I would give(if so directed or moved by the Holy Spirit)to do so & the what the recipient does with what I have given is between them & the Lord.

I will say to you on so many occasions I have felt compelled by the Spirit to give(even but a dollar if that is all I had)to a person that clearly looked high on drugs or drink & my better judgement would tell me that they will just get high with the money (offer them food & they usually will refuse)......but in obedience I have approached many such as these,with a dollar in hand & it was but an opportunity that God put in front of me to tell them that Jesus loves them.......I have witnessed so many brought to tears & convicted by the Holy spirit and so a seed was planted,or watered as we are just the laborers in Gods vast Harvest Field,,,,,,,,Pray chloe,for the Holy Spirit to lead you & the Lord directs our footsteps in directions our logical mind would not  take us.

Praise & Glory to God,may we nourish a mans spirit in the Name of Jesus!..........................

With love-in Christ,Kwik