• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Holding On to Your Faith… Even When God Doesn’t Make Sense

Feb 20

Posted by David Michael Lee

This week was an interesting one for me.  I had the opportunity to talk to a man (Chuck) that has been going through a really hard time in his life.  For whatever reason our paths crossed and we just started talking and he shared that he felt like everything around him was crashing down.  He wondered where God was and why would He allow a believer to go through all that he had gone through.    He felt alone.

I let him talk.

Read on here

**The song/video at the end really touches home.**

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Thank you for sharing that - as I have just done. So very true - we wonder why, but according to God's Word He does test those He loves. Why? One day we will know - or won't care anymore long forgotten in the presence of His love.

Been there . . . but then everyone goes through stuff like that in life sooner or later. Its not easy. Its not fun. Its not "glory-halleluiah-amen." Life straight up stinks sometimes and something from the article really stood out to me because in some things I'm still in one of those "nasty times" that frankly has gone on for years. It was this:

And Chuck said ” What am I supposed to do?”

I wanted to make sure that I didn’t fall into the  Christian clichés  I had heard all my life.  While they may be true on some levels…these kind of statements don’t always help in times of real trouble.  They come across as real impersonal.

1. “Just pray about it…”
  2. “I’m praying for you…”
  3. “You just need to ask for forgiveness…”
  4. “You have un-confessed sin in your life…”
  5. “I feel sorry for you…”
  6. “Jesus loves you…”
  7. “You’re running away from God…”
I am sure that there are many more that could be added to the list.  Again, all of these responses have their place.  They are indeed true when applied correctly.  Unfortunately, I have seen these used in the wrong manner and at the worst times.

Not only do the "clichés" sound impersonal, but they can seem like a slap in the face to the one on the receiving end. It can sound, depending on just how nasty a mood you may be in at the time, like the person just doesn't care. Yeah, it can sound like, "Glad I'm not you." Sometimes we just need to vent and give voice to that frustration, confusion, or whatever. Take some time to just listen . . . then speak only if led by the Spirit to do so and it doesn't involve any of the "clichés".