• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Why is this such a huge problem, especially among those who preach against premarital sex, adultery, etc., the most?

‘Survivor’ Bloggers Join Forces to Reveal Christian Fundamentalist Abuses

Why is this such a huge problem, especially among those who preach against premarital sex, adultery, etc., the most?

:thumbsup:

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. Matthew 24:12

Many fundamentalist communities control their members by isolating them and strictly regulating behavior—especially controlling the flow of information from the outside world and between people. Bob Jones University, for example, forbids students from listening to certain music, filters their internet use, and prohibits certain magazine subscriptions. At Pensacola Christian College, students are banned from watching any television or unapproved movies. A 2006 Chronicle of Higher Education article said the college allowed students to visit only a few hundred websites and that it strictly censored even the books and magazines in its library.

The internet, especially when accessed through smartphones that can circumvent draconian internet filters and surreptitiously record internal proceedings, has broken down these barriers. Camille K. Lewis, a former faculty member of Bob Jones University, told The Daily Beast that the university’s administration banned a range of sites, from Wikipedia to Dilbert cartoons, but students are now able to easily circumvent those restrictions. “You have kids reading the New York Times (heaven forbid) and watching Glee (oh, horrors), and then on Facebook reading what other people are saying,” she said. “It’s more people saying the Emperor has no clothes.”

Many of the people who run the watchdog sites act as reporters who interview, document, aggregate, and break news about the leaders and institutions they’ve left behind.  

One of the most intriguing facts of Bill Gothard’s demise was that some of the allegations that contributed to his downfall this month originally came to light decades ago, and even led to a 17-day hiatus from power in 1980. But it wasn’t until 34 years later, when the blog Recovering Grace posted a deeply-reported exposé of Gothard’s alleged pattern of sexual harassment and sexual contact with a minor, that he was finally forced to resign. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/23/survivor-bloggers-join-forces-to-reveal-christian-fundamentalist-abuses.html

Guest Butero

Because we are living in a world full of temptations, where the devil and a third of the angels that follow him spend all their time gong around trying to get people to fall.  I can't give a definitive answer to Nebula's question, but I can give an opinion.  Satan hates everyone, and he wants us all to fall flat on our faces and wind up spending eternity in hell, but just like an army goes after the people doing the most harm to them and makes them a priority, it stands to reason Satan will do the same thing.  When the settlers were at war with the Indians, they would target the Chief.  When an army is at war, they will kill anyone on the other side, but they love to go after those with higher ranks first.  Satan would most likely try to take out those who are doing the most damage to his Kingdom. 

If I was in Satan's place, who would I target first?  I would go after preachers that were attacking my Kingdom and what I stand for the strongest.  I would go after the Jerry Fallwells, the Jimmy Swaggarts, the John Hagees, etc.  I would be happy to harm people like Chuck Swindoll, but he wouldn't be my first priority.  I would go after those standing the strongest against sin, and unleash all the forces of hell against them. 

Guest Butero

The article does mention one case where a minister resigned after admitting to adultery, but one thing I do want to say about this article is I see all types of open doors for lies to take place.  Unless there is actual proof, meaning an admission of guilt or a conviction in a court of law, I don't accept any of the allegations.  Anonymous accusations by bloggers means nothing.  Satan loves to bring false accusations against ministers of God.  I would take everything with a grain of salt unless there is proof. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

no fear of God...they don't understand...The Bible is a love story....and also a horror story... Revelation ...Wrath of Almighty God....most people don't believe it will happen. A lot of Christians don't see God as a God of War and Justice.

Guest Butero

no fear of God...they don't understand...The Bible is a love story....and also a horror story... Revelation ...Wrath of Almighty God....most people don't believe it will happen. A lot of Christians don't see God as a God of War and Justice.

This is only speculation, but I am trying to place myself in the mind of someone who is a conservative evangelical and a believer in eternal security.  Lets say I am a believer in eternal security and I am tempted with an attractive woman.  I go ahead and cheat, figuring we all sin.  Sin is sin.  Little ones are as bad as big ones.  We are saved by grace, not by following the law.  Sometimes we just give in when we are tempted.  God understands.  On the other hand, if I am an evangelical and I am tempted with an attractive woman, I know that my failures could lead me to hell, but I figure that after I cheat, I will likely have time to confess the sin and make things right with God.  I put it out of my mind that I might not get that chance.  Then there is that in-between group of evangelicals that don't believe in eternal security, but they believe that losing salvation takes time, and one sinful act won't cost them salvation.  They figure they will make things right later on, and that one indiscretion won't cost them their salvation.  It all depends on your perspective, but nearly anyone can come up with excuses to make what they know is wrong ok. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

because, people are sexual creatures. And people in the church, are just as apt to temptation as those outside the church, only difference is when those outside the church fall into it, its expected-when those in the church who claim righteousness fall into it, its a big deal.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

The article does mention one case where a minister resigned after admitting to adultery, but one thing I do want to say about this article is I see all types of open doors for lies to take place. Unless there is actual proof, meaning an admission of guilt or a conviction in a court of law, I don't accept any of the allegations. Anonymous accusations by bloggers means nothing. Satan loves to bring false accusations against ministers of God. I would take everything with a grain of salt unless there is proof.

Institutions need to create structures within which there are clear checks on and scrutiny of those with power, as it's absurd to believe that those in authority are free from temptation. Intelligent abusers do their best to eliminate proof, that's not an excuse for blaming the victims.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Because Satan is in our Churches.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is only speculation, but I am trying to place myself in the mind of someone who is a conservative evangelical and a believer in eternal security.  Lets say I am a believer in eternal security and I am tempted with an attractive woman.  I go ahead and cheat, figuring we all sin.  Sin is sin.  Little ones are as bad as big ones.  We are saved by grace, not by following the law.  Sometimes we just give in when we are tempted.  God understands.  On the other hand, if I am an evangelical and I am tempted with an attractive woman, I know that my failures could lead me to hell, but I figure that after I cheat, I will likely have time to confess the sin and make things right with God.  I put it out of my mind that I might not get that chance.  Then there is that in-between group of evangelicals that don't believe in eternal security, but they believe that losing salvation takes time, and one sinful act won't cost them salvation.  They figure they will make things right later on, and that one indiscretion won't cost them their salvation.  It all depends on your perspective, but nearly anyone can come up with excuses to make what they know is wrong ok.

If someone's motivation for sin vs. not sin is about saving one's own derriere, this person has a bigger problem than the sin temptation.

The question ought not to be, "Will I go to Hell or not?" The question ought to be, "Is this loving towards God to do this?" Likewise, "Is this loving towards my brothers and sisters in Christ to do this?"

The person who cares only about their eternal fate is acting very selfishly, and is denying the power of the Cross in their lives to transform them.