Hashe

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I sat and watch a little girl at a shopping centre playing. She was being a bit naughty playing with her brother’s toy until she was caught by her father. I could see by her reaction that she was being ready to get yelled at. She knew her father’s first reaction and she was preparing for it.

Our view of God as our father is always going to be tainted by the failings of our earthly father. However sometimes it is also tainted by poor theology. Many of us are taught that God is like that little girl’s father – that his first reaction to sin is to get angry. However that isn’t the picture in the Bible.

In Genesis 3 we have the story of the first sin. Many people focus on the results of that sin. However in doing so, they miss God’s first reaction to sin. What is God’s first reaction to sin?

God’s first reaction is to go and visit Adam and Eve. He goes to see what has happened. It is not that he doesn’t know what has happened, but he wants to try and continue the relationship with Adam and Eve.

And how do Adam and Eve respond to God’s advances? They run away and hide! Still God calls out to them to draw them closer to himself.

It makes me wonder how much I expect God to be angry with me when I sin. Would it change the way I responded to doing wrong if I knew that God wanted to reach out with love every time I failed? This doesn’t mean there are no consequences to sin however I suspect I, like Adam, make things worse by running away from God, denying sin or trying to deal with the consequences my own way, rather than trusting in God’s mercy.

It makes me wonder how much I expect God to be angry with me when I sin.

Would it change the way I responded to doing wrong if I knew that God wanted to reach out with love every time I failed?

This doesn’t mean there are no consequences to sin however I suspect I, like Adam, make things worse by running away from God,

denying sin or trying to deal with the consequences my own way, rather than trusting in God’s mercy.

:thumbsup:

Your Father Up Above

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

Is Looking Down In Love

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Hashe, this blessed me. Thank you, brother. :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I think my first reaction is shame--that I let Him down and also that I let myself down because I expect more of myself.. Often my own expectations are higher than Gods and I have to be the one to make the adjustment. I cannot be perfect and God knows that. I am decended from Adam.. Sometimes it is my need to punish myself that keeps me from coming to God. I don't deserve to be forgiven yet.

But God wants me to confess and move on. He doesn't want me on the side line wollowing in self pity or angrily kicking myself. He wants me to return to the front line ready to obey His voice.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

god only reacts once he is given the information, from Adam and Eve. His reaction is one of surprise, so he is oblivious to what has just occurred. Reactions only occur when stimulated. Stimulation occurs when new knowledge is obtained. The same way and Adam and Eve react when only then they hear god coming, they are surprised so hide.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Hello Sammy,

God had to know already because God knows everything. This is called "omniscience." Take a look at these verses.

1 John 3:20 NASB

in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.

Hebrews 4:13 NASB

And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Matthew 10:30

But even the hairs on your head are all numbered.