• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Some interesting points in here. Some of these could be their own topic. Thoughts?

~~~~~

(You'll have to click on the link to read why the author considers these to be messed up beliefs.)

http://www.phildrysdale.com/2014/03/10-beliefs-christians-have-that-really-mess-us-up/

1) I’m just a sinner saved by grace

2) God created us to worship Him

3) I have to try hard to love God

4) I have to become more holy

5) It’s my job to change people’s actions.

6) The world is going to get worse and worse before Jesus returns.

7) Thinking everyone should agree with you

8) Thinking you need to have answers

9) Believing that your sin somehow causes God to separate from you

10) Thinking God will punish you if you don’t tithe

Some elements that stuck out to me:

1. A sinner saved by grace is by very definition no longer a sinner.

We are saints. We have been made righteous.

We must identify with the new nature, not keep dragging around the old.

2. Rather, God created us to enjoy relationship with Him! It is in that place we will worship Him.

Me: I still think we care created to worship Him, but I see the author's point - worship comes out of relationship first.

3. The truth of course is that Jesus was not giving us a rule to follow. No, He was summing up the law and showing us that we couldn’t love God in our own strength.

It is because God loved us that we can love Him.

Our job is not to love God more but to receive His love more. As we focus on God’s love for us our love for Him will in turn grow.

4. Holiness by very definition is an either/or thing. You are either holy or you are unholy.

So where do we get the idea that we can become more holy?

Of course, as we study the scriptures we discover that we are holy! God has made us holy in Christ. Sure there is an outworking of that as we discover it. But we don’t become more holy rather we discover our holiness!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I will disagree with his answer for number 6.  Yes, we have an easier life as far as comfort goes, that is unarguable.  We also have better technology, medicine, etc. ... all mans inventions.  Yet, before Christ returns, there will be the 7 seals, 7 trumps and 7 bowls.  How is that not worst than it is now?  I believe he did not consider this but was only thinking of personal comfort.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I also disagree with Number 6.

6) The world is going to get worse and worse before Jesus returns.

I read in the comments section that a person disagreed, and they mentioned Kingdom Now Theology. Of course, if the author is Kingdom Now, they would view the world as going to get better since Kingdom Now teaches that Christians need to take over, rule and reign, in order for Jesus to return. Christians are to make the world His footstool.  

Jesus returns and the world will be better, but before, scripture says that things will 'wax worse'. There will be a great falling away. Etc.   

What he said there can make for an interesting topic of discussion all by itself.

While I agree that Revelation indicates the Great Tribulation will be horendous to live through, I can appreciate a part of where his reaction comes from - we seem to focus more on what Satan is doing in the world that what God is doing.

Yes, things are going to get worse and painful and hard, yes evil will encrease. But in reading Revelation, should we not see the hand of God? Should we not relish more on what God is doing than in woeing over the evil?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

What he said there can make for an interesting topic of discussion all by itself.

While I agree that Revelation indicates the Great Tribulation will be horendous to live through, I can appreciate a part of where his reaction comes from - we seem to focus more on what Satan is doing in the world that what God is doing.

Yes, things are going to get worse and painful and hard, yes evil will encrease. But in reading Revelation, should we not see the hand of God? Should we not relish more on what God is doing than in woeing over the evil?

I thought about what God was going to do, but his statement seems to ignore that. Things will not get better, but get worse. People in the world will increasingly act more on their sinful nature and rebell more against anything which is of God.

As a believer, I do not believe we will be here for the worst of things. That time is called Jacob's trouble, which refers to Israel. It is meant to turn the eyes of Israel to the Lord. Which is ultimately good as all things God does are for His purposes. But in the mean time, for those who do not believe will seem so bad, scripture says for some, their hearts will fail.

If we, believers, do experience tribulation, which we will, scripture says all things work together for good for those who trust God and are called according to His purposes. I don't believe we will be here for the Great Tribulation but scripture does say we will experience tribulation. What I believe is that things do get tough, but somehow God does sustain us. For example, I had a better paying job, but I saw that the company was getting into a cycle of letting people go. The people being let go tended to be people who had been there a while so had received raises and were paid better. These people were usually within 5 years from qualifying for retirement, but when let go, they lost a lot of retirement benefits. It looked like the company was setting up a regular lay off policy. I realized I probably would never be able to retire from the company, so I took an offered buy out, and looked for another job. The new job I got paid 30% less. I wasn't sure how we would make it with that big of a cut as the numbers did not line up, but amazingly, somehow, we had enough money to pay all our bills. I still don't know how that happened, but the money was always there just in the nick of time.  I attribute it to God's provision. I do believe God will provide, so that experience raised my trust that God will take care of us. I don't look forward to tough times, and I will probably not be a giant in faith, but God will once again show how He provides when it does happen, despite me.

Whatever happens, our faith has to be in God.      

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I will disagree with his answer for number 6.  Yes, we have an easier life as far as comfort goes, that is unarguable.  We also have better technology, medicine, etc. ... all mans inventions.  Yet, before Christ returns, there will be the 7 seals, 7 trumps and 7 bowls.  How is that not worst than it is now?  I believe he did not consider this but was only thinking of personal comfort.

I dont think he believes in revelation. He recommends a book called raptureless which claims.....

The fear created by the expectation of a coming antichrist and a great tribulation are keeping many believers in bondage.

And the author tackles the sacred cow of end times according to the book reviews. One review indicates the author thinks revelation has happened already. 

So given that he recommends that book, I am not sold on the rest of what he has to say. 

I guess I'm the only one who zeros in on the things I find agreeable?

:noidea:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Sorry neb, bad day at home. Made me a bit grumpy. And a bit distracted.

It wasn't just you, Jade - the other responders also only talked about what they disagreed with. So after a string of negatives, I was like - :huh::noidea: