missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

0ee6d2b04af80c42b4b06f4809c1aadc.jpgWhat is the point in these Churches worth millions?Would God not be happy if we prayed in a wooden hut with a dirt floor?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

lol there are various reasons, not all wholesome. I think, as long as your heart is pure and your honestly praying to God, that it does not matter where you are or what the building looks like. On the side note, sometimes larger churches are more practical as they can host more events, and a beautiful church can draw people in. If its drawing people in and the ministry is good and pure, that is a good thing. If its just there to boast, then its a bad. A church building can be a symbol of hope-and a symbol of emptiness.

On a side note, all my life I always wanted to see one of those old gothic style cathedrals, well when I went on my missions trip to moldova right after we got married we had a layover in vienna austria, and I got to tour one of those gothic style cathedrals. It was beautiful, easily one of the most impressive church buildings I have ever seen. It was only a building, but I can't say I regret visiting it one bit.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

0ee6d2b04af80c42b4b06f4809c1aadc.jpgWhat is the point in these Churches worth millions?Would God not be happy if we prayed in a wooden hut with a dirt floor?

I think God is happy anytime people worship Him in Spirit and truth, no matter, where.

I once heard that big beautiful churches were built so that the people who were living in poor conditions would have a place to go which was beautiful. At the time I heard that, I admired the beauty of the building, but also thought the situation was wrong and sad. The poor people had given money to build a majestic building, but the people were living in bad conditions, with little food. It seemed so wrong to me that the church organization would take so much money from people who were barely scraping by to build these opulent structures. They are indeed impressive and beautiful, but were often built on the backs of people who really could not afford it.    

One of the most beautiful churches I have seen is Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Canada. Another was the Sistine Chapel of course. (I was on a tour bus in Italy. Part of the tour was the Vatican).

Link to Picture of

Notre-Dame Basilica

http://dailyxy.com/article/montreal-wedding-ceremonies-churches/

Another with a bit of history:

http://www.montreal.com/churches/

My favorite painting in the Vatican was The Deliverance of  Saint Peter by Raphael. The following link does not do it justice, but I stared at this for a long time. I really did look 3 dimensional, but is actually a painting on a flat wall above a door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliverance_of_Saint_Peter

Until that time, I had not seen paintings by masters, but on seeing some of the art in the Vatican museum etc. I learned a lot about art and what it really was and could be.  

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Those who built such lavish structures built them to God, not man.  They did so to honor Him.  Is this wrong?   Ask God.

As for praying, I believe He is please when we pray no matter where and when.

They are supposed to be using the blessings that they receive through GOD to reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world. Not keep it in a safe in a building for it to be "stolen." OR buy houses and jets and cars and lavish lifestyles. Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

Never heard of it. Care to explain?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

They are supposed to be using the blessings that they receive through GOD to reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world. Not keep it in a safe in a building for it to be "stolen." OR buy houses and jets and cars and lavish lifestyles. Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

I did not but I totally agree with your answer.Just think of all the money they could have given to those in need and the starving with that money they spent on those lavish churches.I am thinking God would prefer that.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I also appreciate beautiful architecture but I'm in agreement with Bopeep.

God recognized Abel's sacrifice rather than Cain's which was much more pleasing to the eye.

Our works in themselves don't merit a stitch with God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I did not but I totally agree with your answer.Just think of all the money they could have given to those in need and the starving with that money they spent on those lavish churches.I am thinking God would prefer that.

Who is "they"?

And really honestly search yourselves for the answer. What are you (general) doing to " reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world"

​If your answer is little or nothing, best you (general), don't post again. rather go read your bible about giving...

God knows the answer, I don't, and i don't want to. I just want to direct everyone to the subject of planks in eyes. (in case it is needed).

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Many of these Gothic cathedrals and other magnificent places of worship were built in Medieval times as ways of teaching the Bible. Many people were illiterate and the intricate details on the stained-glass windows and various other artifacts told Bible stories.

It's not just a matter of giving the money to the poor, as if building lavish churches was somehow wrong in itself. Nobody took money from the poor to build these churches and money given to churches during services was often given to the poor anyway.

The more people can come to church, the more people there are to pay tithes and a bigger better church draws in more people. It's also easier to build one big massive place of worship than to keep building lots of little ones all over the place. Don't forget too that these cathedrals didn't have lots of money thrown at them in one go, they were often built over time, sometimes with hundreds of years apart. The fine, ornate decorations were often added bit by bit from generation to generation.

Even Royalty did not have as much money spent on their dwellings as was spent on churches and church architecture was often better than palace architecture and designed to last longer.