• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Many of these Gothic cathedrals and other magnificent places of worship were built in Medieval times as ways of teaching the Bible. Many people were illiterate and the intricate details on the stained-glass windows and various other artifacts told Bible stories.

It's not just a matter of giving the money to the poor, as if building lavish churches was somehow wrong in itself. Nobody took money from the poor to build these churches and money given to churches during services was often given to the poor anyway.

The more people can come to church, the more people there are to pay tithes and a bigger better church draws in more people. It's also easier to build one big massive place of worship than to keep building lots of little ones all over the place. Don't forget too that these cathedrals didn't have lots of money thrown at them in one go, they were often built over time, sometimes with hundreds of years apart. The fine, ornate decorations were often added bit by bit from generation to generation.

Even Royalty did not have as much money spent on their dwellings as was spent on churches and church architecture was often better than palace architecture and designed to last longer.

Yep. People could not read, did not have bibles, had never seen a building over two floors high. They related heaven and hell through what they saw in stained glass, the beauty of the building and gargoyles. That the story which was being told was sometimes not scriptural, or was told as a manner of controlling the populace is grist for another mill, and does not speak toward this post....

They are supposed to be using the blessings that they receive through GOD to reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world. Not keep it in a safe in a building for it to be "stolen." OR buy houses and jets and cars and lavish lifestyles. Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

I did not but I totally agree with your answer.Just think of all the money they could have given to those in need and the starving with that money they spent on those lavish churches.I am thinking God would prefer that.

What part don't you agree with? I'm saying that they should be spending the money doing the Lord's work, not living it up, not buying lavish homes, expensive cars and planes, etc. Large church congregations may be fine, but they don't need a $100,000 building. Maybe they should rehab an old cathedral that has been closed, or something of that sort. They don't need to buy a stadium.

Saving GOD is a 2008 Christian movie about a convicted felon, Rev. Armstrong, who returns back to his neighborhood a changed man looking to take over his father's old church. The neighborhood is tough and full of drugs and gangs. Through Armstrong's tough demeanor and strong faith he tries to make a difference with Norris - a youth on the edge of falling into a lifetime of drugs and gangs. Also Armstrong must deal with his past history of violence and make sure he doesn't fall again. How it applies to this topic is that in the movie, there is a pastor of a large church who wants to buy the old church. When the Reverend tries to see the pastor, he had to make an appointment because no one could just walk in and see the pastor. When asked if the pastor could name 50 people in his congregation, or 20, or 10, or even 5, he could not. When churches get so large that the pastor no longer knows his flock, then something is not right and is not the Church that Christ built. This pastor saw the light and changed his outlook and behaviour.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Yet Solomon built a beautiful temple to God with golden vessels etc. so this continued on - sadly some became a piece of architecture in honour of the architect's talent rather than God's.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Money was extorted from the laity to build the Vatican. The sale of indulgences was to buy themselves or their relatives out of purgatory. I have also read that they had to pay for masses said for their dead loved ones. No prayers do anyone any good after death.

It is tragic. But as mentioned, today money is extorted to "keep this ministry alive". Perhaps God wants it to die if it uses God's word to get rich or if they con people into thinking they can get rich through it as well.

When the churches I have attended had to build to accomodate all who were being saved, first they moved into school auditoriums and finally they built simple structures. One would compare them to Puritan or Quaker simplicity. It is better to rely on word of mouth and the call of the Holy Spirit to attract people.

While it is true that all the illustrations helped convey the Bible events to the uneducated populace, it also breaks the second commandment. Eventually the statues have promoted people to bow down to them and many even worship them. Even miracles have been ascribed to statues, and people I have known from Europe really believe that the statue has done them. When pressed they could not even say that God had done them or that a saint had done them.

I also have marveled at the works of the master painters. But knowing that Michelangelo doubted his own salvation breaks my heart.

Rubens' Christ and the tribute money is a favorite of mine.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Saving GOD is a 2008 Christian movie about a convicted felon, Rev. Armstrong, who returns back to his neighborhood a changed man looking to take over his father's old church. The neighborhood is tough and full of drugs and gangs. Through Armstrong's tough demeanor and strong faith he tries to make a difference with Norris - a youth on the edge of falling into a lifetime of drugs and gangs. Also Armstrong must deal with his past history of violence and make sure he doesn't fall again. How it applies to this topic is that in the movie, there is a pastor of a large church who wants to buy the old church. When the Reverend tries to see the pastor, he had to make an appointment because no one could just walk in and see the pastor. When asked if the pastor could name 50 people in his congregation, or 20, or 10, or even 5, he could not. When churches get so large that the pastor no longer knows his flock, then something is not right and is not the Church that Christ built. This pastor saw the light and changed his outlook and behaviour.

Cool!

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I saw a cathedral in Savannah yesterday that would drive you guys crazy.....  

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

They are supposed to be using the blessings that they receive through GOD to reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world. Not keep it in a safe in a building for it to be "stolen." OR buy houses and jets and cars and lavish lifestyles. Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

I did not but I totally agree with your answer.Just think of all the money they could have given to those in need and the starving with that money they spent on those lavish churches.I am thinking God would prefer that.

Who is "they"?

And really honestly search yourselves for the answer. What are you (general) doing to " reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world"

​If your answer is little or nothing, best you (general), don't post again. rather go read your bible about giving...

God knows the answer, I don't, and i don't want to. I just want to direct everyone to the subject of planks in eyes. (in case it is needed).

Amen Fez

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

In the old testament God dwelt in a tent, and finally a temple was built for Him. It was beautiful and ornate, full of gold. Today God tabernacles (tents) in and among men. But for many years people did not comprehend this and thought the cathedrals were His dwelling place. They filled them with statues and images of Christ and of Mary, as if trying to make people to believe that God dwells in a certain building. I still hear people refer to a church as the house of God. No, it is just a gathering place for the house of God.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Willa, you bring up a good point. It makes me wonder if building a large, expensive church is wrong in and of itself, why would God command the Israelites to do it? I bet the Temple cost more than $100,000 in our money, surely.