• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I still hear people refer to a church as the house of God. No, it is just a gathering place for the house of God.

Yes!

We are now the Temple of God, the place where God dwells, not individual buildings.

Churches are more synonymous with Synagogues.

That said, there are churches where the presence of God can be felt. Likewise, there are churches where the presence of God is not felt.

I have been to both.

A couple of those "not" churches were quite elaborte and ornate.

What makes the difference? The congregation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

There is a building in the deserts here that is from the spanish times. It is elaborately decorated and a beautiful church. San Xavier del Bac. I used to go to that church often as an unbeliever just to see its beauty. When I was distressed over something I would go there and pray to God. Even though I didnt believe in Jesus. The last time I did so, it was just a couple of months before I got saved. The beauty in those churches can witness the gospel too. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

God inhabits the praises of His people, and He seeks those who will worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

I have also sat in a dead church that sang hymns mechanicly without perceiving the meaning of the words they mouthed. Afterwards the pastor approached me saying there was something different about me. It was one of those missed opportunies to witness. Hopefully God will use it to whet his appetite.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

They are supposed to be using the blessings that they receive through GOD to reach out and feed the poor, clothe the widows and orphans, and spread the Word throughout the world. Not keep it in a safe in a building for it to be "stolen." OR buy houses and jets and cars and lavish lifestyles. Anyone see the movie "Saving GOD?"

I did not but I totally agree with your answer.Just think of all the money they could have given to those in need and the starving with that money they spent on those lavish churches.I am thinking God would prefer that.

What part don't you agree with? I'm saying that they should be spending the money doing the Lord's work, not living it up, not buying lavish homes, expensive cars and planes, etc. Large church congregations may be fine, but they don't need a $100,000 building. Maybe they should rehab an old cathedral that has been closed, or something of that sort. They don't need to buy a stadium.

I agreed with your answer.I must have been in a hurry and should not have put in the "not".Sorry.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

And yet no complaints when we waste money on stadiums to worship men chasing a ball over plastic grass.......

"They" don't need the stadium, the temple to excess... Throw a ball, get a multi million dollar contract. Shepard a church and you are a greedy, wealth chasing fraud who should be giving everything to someone who has less than you?

Louie Giglio proved it in his "symphony" Cd. We are more likely to lift our hands to a touchdown than we are to lift our hands in worship.

Planks in eyes....

I appreciate your sentiments, Fez, but after touring the Crystal Cathedral  back in the early 90's, it put a very bad taste in my mouth for ornate, expensive churches without the Spirit of God's manifest presence in their midst.

Guest Butero

0ee6d2b04af80c42b4b06f4809c1aadc.jpgWhat is the point in these Churches worth millions?Would God not be happy if we prayed in a wooden hut with a dirt floor?

I am sure he would, but look at the expense that went into Solomon's temple.  God seemed to give his stamp of approval to it, so I am not sure there is really anything wrong with an expensive house of worship.  I would personally prefer a more modest building and to use the money for pressing needs, but if they have the ability to build something like that, why not? 

Guest Butero

And yet no complaints when we waste money on stadiums to worship men chasing a ball over plastic grass.......

"They" don't need the stadium, the temple to excess... Throw a ball, get a multi million dollar contract. Shepard a church and you are a greedy, wealth chasing fraud who should be giving everything to someone who has less than you?

Louie Giglio proved it in his "symphony" Cd. We are more likely to lift our hands to a touchdown than we are to lift our hands in worship.

Planks in eyes....

While I don't see it as a waste of money to build a stadium for sporting events, I think you make a good point.  What is more important?  A ball park or a place to worship God?