IGNORED

How does God want us to handle gluttony?

Guest DRS81

Guest DRS81

Gluttony is the over-indulgence, mostly of eating, drinking or wealth items.

So how does our Lord want us to tackle this subject in a materialistic century.

How do we use self control in these circumstances.

Also, what's the difference between greed and gluttony.

And lastly, does gluttony have anything to do with 'addiction'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluttony

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gluttony?s=t

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Try fasting with prayer. Then become more of a servant of Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings DRS,,,,

I suppose there is not too much difference between greed & gluttony,both come down to one never being satisfied with "enough"......gluttony of course would be result of an addiction and so would greed.....all are brought about by temptation & the inability to resist,in my opinion

In Christ we can find freedom,deliverance from the bondage of such things as they are all sins of the flesh,,,,,,,as we must hold captive of every thought & renew our minds, we have to first surrender completely to Christ without reservation,our flesh & our spirit is at war and as we become new creatures in Christ we begin to forsake all things praying without ceasing(we need the Heart & Mind of Christ).......when we crucify our own flesh & receive the Holy Spirit is the beginning of all things new....................Glory to God

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

God has provided us on this earth with delicious,nutritous food.We should honor God's creation by enjoying these foods and by eating them in appropriate qualities.Many believers would not think of having a glass of wine with dinner or smoking a cigarette but then they would not think twice about gorging themselves at dinner.Not a whole lot of difference.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings BoPeep

That is a very good point & it is true,I have known a lot of people like that......you are right,not a whole lot of difference!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I never really considered this question.  I'm one of those who is always hungry (really, literally always hungry) and I eat a lot.  I just seem to need more food than the average woman.  I am not overweight.  Am I guilty of gluttony if I really want and need the food? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

Moderation is always good, especially when it comes to anything of questionable nature. We are to be led by the Spirit, in true knowledge of the Word. The Word prohibits drunkenness, not moderate drinking. The Word prohibits gluttony, but not reasonable eating. The Word prohibits sex outside marriage, but not inside marriage. There are boundaries from sinful activity and limits to excesses (which become sinful also). Ultimately, IMHO the Law was insufficient to answer every question of excess, as well as insufficient to empower one to obey it, so God made a new covenant and better way, the Law of the Spirit of Lifein Christ Jesus!! The only way to walk worthy of our calling in Christ is to walk by the Spirit, in abiding in a close relationship with Him. 

As far as addiction, I would say that addiction is very much relevant to this topic. A strong, nearly uncontrollable urge to overindulge in anything, or to indulge in anything inherently sinful is certainly not the Holy Spirit's leading or empowerment, and is likely demonic, and certainly fleshly (as in driven by the sinful fallen nature). 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  3

I never really considered this question.  I'm one of those who is always hungry (really, literally always hungry) and I eat a lot.  I just seem to need more food than the average woman.  I am not overweight.  Am I guilty of gluttony if I really want and need the food? 

I am also thin and have a ridiculous metabolism. However, I think that the Holy Spirit, not some rule of law, speaks to us (even the skinny ones!) about when enough is enough and we are being overly indulgent and strengthening our fleshly nature instead of keeping it in subjection as Paul instructed. When I fast, I don't do it to lose weight (in fact I am more concerned that I WILL lose weight!) but simply to draw near to to the Lord and discipline the fleshly longings. 

BTW MorningGlory, you are probably tempting some people to jealousy with your metabolism LOL!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

You must be one of those who has a metabolism like a gerbil.....you nasty person you.Can eat anything you want and never gain any weight.Since I have GERD or Acid Reflux I have to eat several small meals in a day.My stomach does not like to be full.My opinion of gluttony is taking food from others.A human needs food to survive.If a person eats a huge amount of food and is over 300 lbs there is going to be health problems.Diabetes,heart,stroke and others.Also there are mental health issues with people who binge eat.They should consult a Physician in that case.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I am also thin and have a ridiculous metabolism. However, I think that the Holy Spirit, not some rule of law, speaks to us (even the skinny ones!) about when enough is enough and we are being overly indulgent and strengthening our fleshly nature instead of keeping it in subjection as Paul instructed. When I fast, I don't do it to lose weight (in fact I am more concerned that I WILL lose weight!) but simply to draw near to to the Lord and discipline the fleshly longings. 

BTW MorningGlory, you are probably tempting some people to jealousy with your metabolism LOL!

Why would anyone be jealous?  I would like to be able to go all day without eating like some I work with but I just can't.  I stop when I'm full and I try to eat healthy food (try, don't always succeed).  I wonder if it's gluttony if you need to eat more often or in larger quantities than other people?