• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1994

A simple, yet extremely important question. Can violence, in any form, be justified from a biblical perspective?

As of now, I am leaning toward no, in reference to Jesus' direct words to peter. "Put away your sword," Jesus told him. "Those who use the sword will die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52 New Living Translation (NLT)).

Please consider this question from all angles, from a potential 1 on 1 fight with a bully to a world war.

Happy chatter!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Violence is defined as physical force.We need to recognize the difference between holy judgment on sin and our own personal venettas against those that we do not like.

There is violence in wars and God has allowed that.The Bible says that violence in the mind is just as hurtful as violence by the hands

Leviticus 19:17.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

yet, this is the same Jesus who threw the money collectors out of the temple with a whip (John 2:15) and the same Jesus who told his disciples to sell their cloaks and purchase as word (Luke 22:36) Also notice, in the same verse matthew 26:52. Jesus did not rebuke Peter for having the sword, nor did Jesus tell Peter to get rid of it-He just told Peter that this was not the time and place for it, and that you should not live by it. There is a difference between using violence, and being a violent person. There is a difference between shooting a man who broke into your home at night and threatens to kill your family-and breaking into someone elses home and shooting them.

Also keep in mind, the God of the old testament is the same God of the New Testament-and God never changes. If God were to change, he would not be God, its simple as that. The only thing that changed, is how we come to God-sacrificial animals verses grace. And the God of the Old Testament often advocated-even commanded, Violence. Look at King David-he was a very violent man, but was described as a "man after Gods own heart" (acts 13:22) 

A christian should not seek out violence, but we live in a violent world-violence will often come to our doorstep, whether we want it to or not. A christian should not seek it out-but should be willing to deal with it when it happens, and wise enough to handle it appropriately. Punching a guy in the face at the bar just because he said you were a church going hypocrit and pushed you around? probbaly not the best use. Protecting your child against a would be kidnapper? yes, I would say thats appropriate-especially from a man, as man was commanded by God to protect his family-that is his role.

Guest LadyC

sell their cloaks and purchase a SWORD... you had a typo there, patriot. all your examples are good ones. i'd like to add to them.

the bible also authorizes government to use the sword... this may mean war, it may mean the death penalty. either way, many people consider those to be acts of violence. and yep, war is definitely violent. but who are we to question what God has authorized?

in the old testament, there were cities of refuge. if you accidentally killed someone, you could flee to that city of refuge and be safe from any family member of the dead guy coming after you. but if you stepped foot out of that city, then the family was free to kill you for having killed their loved one. wouldn't that be considered violence? 

there are some people here on these forums that stand by their conviction that if someone were to break into the home of a christian with the intent to harm, rape, kill, etc, that the christian has the biblical responsibility to turn the other cheek. that's horse hockey. God expects us to defend the innocent, the defenseless, and i'd hate to be the one standing before Him on judgement day when God says "why didn't you protect your family?"

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Unfortunately there are many who believe violence can be justified. I think they stretch the scriptures.

I feel some americans put the US constitution above the bible on this issue.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Yes, you can defend yourself, always. Otherwise, why didn't Jesus let Himself be murdered countless times when they sought His life? Why didn't the disciples, either the 70 or the 12? Why didn't Paul?

The phrase turn the other cheek also refers to accepting insults, and it only applies when you are preaching. See Ecclesiastes 3 also. The Devil would like it if you sat there and let yourself get beaten or killed, that's what he gets up for in the morning.

As Patriot pointed out to, if you are in the marriage covenant, then you are under direct obligation to God to physically protect your wife to any cost (including the life of any fool trying to attack her), and conversely, you must destroy anyone trying to attack you, for otherwise you again violate your marriage covenant, for then you rob your wife of you. Same with your children.

As always, plead the blood of Jesus, and trust in and declare God's promises of protection in Psalm 91, 103, 23 etc.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Not just that, but we would still be a British colony if the Founding Fathers did not correctly teach that the only war that God blesses is one where you are attacked first. That's why we did nothing against the British as far as shooting them until the Shot Heard 'Round the World on April 19th, 1775 in Lexington; now known as Patriots' Day.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Jesus never told Peter to get rid of the sword. He just told him to put it away. Those who live by the sword are those who use violence to solve all their problems.When Peter struck off the soldier's ear, he was not doing it to protect Jesus from being captured. Jesus had already been arrested. Peter struck out of anger. Jesus knew that he was angry because of his love for Jesus, but he was telling Peter that was not the answer.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

Love always protects.... I enjoy peace and tranquility. I do not like violence... I don't even like punishing my loved ones. But as a Child of God...there is a rage....that comes to the front if there is a threat to my loved ones. I will do what I have to do to protect my loved ones and my peace and tranquility. The difference between a child of satan and a Child of God, we don't take pleasure in violence and doing violence to the innocent. But we're not afraid to use violence on the guilty scum that wish harm on our families.

Matthew 13:49-50 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

we can do whatever violent acts we want to the wicked and the guilty. Throwing them into a burning furnace is an option.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Love always protects.... I enjoy peace and tranquility. I do not like violence... I don't even like punishing my loved ones. But as a Child of God...there is a rage....that comes to the front if there is a threat to my loved ones. I will do what I have to do to protect my loved ones and my peace and tranquility. The difference between a child of satan and a Child of God, we don't take pleasure in violence and doing violence to the innocent. But we're not afraid to use violence on the guilty scum that wish harm on our families.

Matthew 13:49-50 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

we can do whatever violent acts we want to the wicked and the guilty. Throwing them into a burning furnace is an option.

I disagree. I think that's going a bit too far. How do you know that they are wicked and guilty for starters?