• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

When I was at the unemployment office, They asked me for my email. It was (angel4God) The social worker said I shouldn't use that. There is nothing wrong with my email.  :(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Very odd, unless they want you to have an email address with your real name in it.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Taking into account that this email is what potential employers will look at, they want one that does have your name in it. It sounds like she was only suggesting that you use a different email address, not that you can't. Take mine as an example. Is OneLight @ ... better than afemery @ ... which would better inform the potential employer who I am?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I never knew that. I didn't want them to say. You shouldn't use it because it can upset someone. She never told me why..  :)

When I was at the unemployment office, They asked me for my email. It was (angel4God) The social worker said I shouldn't use that. There is nothing wrong with my email.  :(

:thumbsup:

God Says Otherwise

Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. Mark 8:38

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I never knew that. I didn't want them to say. You shouldn't use it because it can upset someone. She never told me why..  :)

One of my e-mail addresses is a very obvious reference to my faith in God.When I give people that e-mail address I have had alot of eyebrows raised.

I'd use another email address. Set up a free one on Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, etc. but use something that would be more "professional" sounding to potential employers and use it for your job hunting address. Have a look at the email addresses for some small businesses that you many know - especially one run by a one individual - for some ideas if you get stuck. The idea of professional may differ depending on your industry too. That's the advice I've been given over the years, and it works. Employers are looking for people to solve problems and they will shy away from an email address like that because it may look (to them) like a potential problem. Keep in mind we're dealing with pagan culture here (unless you're applying at a Christian business.) I learned through 2 years of unemployment that what the employer doesn't know (and you don't volunteer unnecessarily) doesn't hurt you. I hate playing that game, but its how the world works.

Example? Having a car or not, believe it or not. If I'm asked directly if I have a car I won't lie and say I do . . . but most in my area make the assumption that you do, so I let 'em think that. If they ask, "Do you have reliable transportation to get to work?" I say yes. It's really none of their business how I get to work, so long as I'm there on time. (Bikes, buses, and feet are reliable!) Let 'em think what they want - because telling them you don't have a car (unless asked directly) will cause them to screen you out because they make the assumption you won't show up to work on time. That cost me a lot of job offers until I finally got it. Don't let 'em do that to you.

There are 10,000 reasons a company can give you for why you "didn't make the cut" so why make it easier for them to screen you out?

Yes, there is a time for sharing our faith whether its at home, out and about, or at work -- but it helps to get hired first! :)

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

What? Tell them that's your email address end of story! What is the matter with people now days?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

What? Tell them that's your email address end of story! What is the matter with people now days?

I agree.This world is pretty scary.  :(

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

keep your email and have less chance of a job....  it's your choice.   Sad as that is, it's reality.  People in the employment office are just trying to help....   don't dump on them because the world is in a fallen state.

might be a good way to only get a job at a Christian place of employment though.  If you are really looking for a job though, I'd recommend following the advice of those who it is their job to find you one.