• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

If they didn't then some of them wouldn't have rebelled against God and taken the side of Lucifer, who himself is a fallen angel.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

At the very least they had it at one point, as Oak pointed out, when some of them rebelled.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Very interesting question. The fact is that many angels rebelled vs the Lord and sinned versus him. Jude says "6 And angels who did not keep their own principality, but left their proper habitation, he has kept in everlasting bonds under darkness to the judgment of the great day." Sin requires the ability to choose, a freedom of will. But if they ever do sin, there is nothing in the Bible about any atonement for their sins, like Christ performed when he joined the race of Adam and went to the cross. ----------

From Hebrews 2 -------- "14 Since then the children are sharers in flesh and blood, he also himself in like manner partook of the same; that through death he might bring to nought him who had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 and might deliver all them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For verily not to angels does he give help, but he gives help to the seed of Abraham. 17 Wherefore it behooved him in all things to be made like his brethren, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." -----------

One might imagine angels worrying that if they ever commit the slightest sin, it is Hell forever for them, with no atonement, no possibility of forgiveness. It seems to me that the Lord may have prevented such worries by angels by telling those of them who are elect that they are elect.

1 Timothy 5 speaks of elect angels: "I charge you in the sight of God, and Christ Jesus, and the elect angels," ---

As a tangent one might wonder if fear of horrifying angels should motivate us not to sin?

Edited by Atwood

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

If they didn't then some of them wouldn't have rebelled against God and taken the side of Lucifer, who himself is a fallen angel.

As to fighting, consider Ephesians 6, how we wrestle not vs flesh and blood.

Help me out Oakwood, I can't think of a passage that says that satan is a fallen angel. "And no marvel; for even Satan fashions himself into an angel of light" is a pretense. Revelation speaks of satan as having angels: "his angels." But is or was satan himself an "angel," that is a messenger? (Angel means "messenger.") To whom did he carry messages? If Ezekiel 28 refers to him, then of him it is said, "You were the anointed cherub that covers." But what evidence is there that cherubim (having wings, stationed at the throne of God) are angels (never said to have wings)?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Jude 1:6 says that the angels did have the ability to choose.Some scholars believe there was a "probation period" for the angels,similar to "Adam and Eve".Those angels who did not choose to sin and follow satan have become the "elect angels" 1 Timothy 5:21,confirmed in holiness.These angels are also referred to as "holy angels".The holy angels might have the ability to sin but that does not mean they will sin.They do have a free will but the Bible makes it clear that they will not sin.Revelation 21:27 states that anyone who does evil will never be permitted to enter heaven.The angels who are in heaven are sinless.

Thank you Mods for deleting my 2nd and redundant thread.  :mgcheerful:

Help me out Oakwood, I can't think of a passage that says that satan is a fallen angel. "And no marvel; for even Satan fashions himself into an angel of light" is a pretense. Revelation speaks of satan as having angels: "his angels." But is or was satan himself an "angel," that is a messenger? (Angel means "messenger.") To whom did he carry messages? If Ezekiel 28 refers to him, then of him it is said, "You were the anointed cherub that covers." But what evidence is there that cherubim (having wings, stationed at the throne of God) are angels (never said to have wings)?

I'm not sure if he is technically an angel but he is a spiritual being.

Are you saying that Lucifer was not an angel?

Are you saying that Lucifer was not an angel?

To be honest with you, I'm not sure now.