TedWasTaken

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, as an intro post I'll ask - where do people get the idea that the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was an apple?

Genesis 1:29:

Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the ]surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you.

This verse tells us the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil produced no seeds (which is fitting for something that cannot produce life). 

Since apples have seeds we know they were not hanging from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil right?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Wrong......Welcome to Worthy Ted  :grin:  .Does it say anywhere in the Bible that the fruit Adam and Eve ate was not an apple?The above verse you gave means nothing.The Bible doesn't say that it was an apple to my knowledge.It could have been a pear or.....

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Welcome to Worthy!

Scripture does not tell us what family of fruit/nut it was. Scripture only tells us it was from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

Genesis 2:8-9

The Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed. 9 And out of the ground the Lord God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

God goes on to say that they could eat from every tree BUT the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Nothing about it having any seeds, one way or the other. Nor does He tell us what family of fruit or nut did it grow.

The "apple" is just mans way of telling the story without being scriptural, a story we all learned as a child.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think it has something to do with the two words in Latin in the Vulgate translation......

Wrong......Welcome to Worthy Ted  :grin:  .Does it say anywhere in the Bible that the fruit Adam and Eve ate was not an apple?The above verse you gave means nothing.The Bible doesn't say that it was an apple to my knowledge.It could have been a pear or.....

Thanks for the welcome Bopeep.

The verse I supplied above tells us we were allowed to eat from every tree that contains seeds right?  That would indicate to me that either:

God had made an incomplete statement in this verse regarding the fact that we could eat from every tree that had seeds (because if the Knowledge Tree had seeds we were not to eat from it).

or

The Knowledge tree had no seeds

If God had made an incomplete statement (He said "every" when it really wasn't so), can anyone clue me in as to how we would know (not assume) that God had indeed made the incomplete statement?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

The verse I supplied above tells us we were allowed to eat from every tree that contains seeds right?  That would indicate to me that either:

God had made an incomplete statement in this verse regarding the fact that we could eat from every tree that had seeds (because if the Knowledge Tree had seeds we were not to eat from it).

or

If God had made an incomplete statement (He said "every" when it really wasn't so), can anyone clue me in as to how we would know (not assume) that God had indeed made the incomplete statement?

God speaks as He wishes to speak! And He speaks only the truth.

Why does it matter so much to you?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think you might be making more of the seed thing than is there Ted.....   Take the rental car example.....    you can take any car from this row you want........   except the Corvette.     Corvette is still a car but that one is an exception.

Could be the same with the seeds....    whatever, that tree isn't available for us to check it out so we can't really know.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Welcome to Worthy.

or

God speaks as He wishes to speak! And He speaks only the truth.

Why does it matter so much to you?

It's a curiosity - I think it's an interesting notion that the Tree of the Knowlege of Good and Evil "may not have" produced seeds.  It has interesting ramifications given all the places that seed is mentioned in scripture.

Edited by TedWasTaken