• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Blessings Ted......

Welcome to Worthy.........................God Bless you & like Hippie has tried to convey to you,,,,,it is not important what kind of fruit is was,if it was important then God would have said so,,,,,, the fact that He didn't really should make it quite clear that it is about obedience....it doesn;t matter if it were a pineapple upside down cake hanging from the tree,it was forbidden of them by God,period......case closed

Ted,you mentioned you have no understanding of a verse from the Book of John,may I ask if you have recently been Saved & if so,are you just starting to read the Bible,beginning in Genesis?In any event,I am happy you are here & I pray you are Blessed with Wisdom & Understanding by the Power of the Holy Spirit & that you enjoy our fellowship here at Worthy!

With Love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks for the offer to help Kwikphilly, I have received Jesus as my savior - I simply don't understand eating Jesus' flesh and drinking His blood well enough to have a "teaching opinion" of it.  Regarding the fruit of the tree of Knowledge however, I am not infatuated with the fruit, nor do I desire it.  To rephrase what I was trying to discover in my original question (which seems lost on some posters) is really - why do some Christians tell me that Adam and Eve disobeyed by eating an apple, when scripture plainly tells us that God Himself gave them every plant and tree bearing seed for food.  What gives people the boldness to assert this?  Where in the bible does it say they ate an apple?

Edited by TedWasTaken

Wrong......Welcome to Worthy Ted  :grin:  .Does it say anywhere in the Bible that the fruit Adam and Eve ate was not an apple?The above verse you gave means nothing.The Bible doesn't say that it was an apple to my knowledge.It could have been a pear or.....

Agreed.

The bible plainly tells us in Genesis 1:29 that Adam and Eve were given EVERY tree bearing seed for fruit - this would include ALL apple and pear trees correct?

Edited by TedWasTaken

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Ted

Oh no problem,the offer always stands,Brother.............we all help each other.I understand & agree with what you are saying,who knows how they came up with "apple" & it is true,as usual men are presumptious  & have not the right to call it whatever they please as this is not the Word of God............."the fruit" would be appropriate & it could have been an apple but we should not just assume anything that is not written

With love,in Christ-Kwik

And this last question you asked "yes",again,,,,I see what you are saying & one would assume that would include all apple & pear trees etc,,,,,But lets just say this,lets pretend it was an apple....you know how there are so many different apples Macintosh & Gala & Washington & Delicious & Green........maybe there were many different apple trees but only the tree of the knowledge of good & evil had green apples(see my point?)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Wrong......Welcome to Worthy Ted  :grin:  .Does it say anywhere in the Bible that the fruit Adam and Eve ate was not an apple?The above verse you gave means nothing.The Bible doesn't say that it was an apple to my knowledge.It could have been a pear or.....

Thanks for the welcome Bopeep.

The verse I supplied above tells us we were allowed to eat from every tree that contains seeds right?  That would indicate to me that either:

God had made an incomplete statement in this verse regarding the fact that we could eat from every tree that had seeds (because if the Knowledge Tree had seeds we were not to eat from it).

or

The Knowledge tree had no seeds

If God had made an incomplete statement (He said "every" when it really wasn't so), can anyone clue me in as to how we would know (not assume) that God had indeed made the incomplete statement?

St.John 6:53  Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

What is your understanding of this verse?

that would be a good thread to ponder over but I fail to see how it fits into this thread....   what am I missing?

From the perspective of the Word being the tree of life and the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil being the eating from another source.

Blessings 2404!

God Bless you this evening(& always) ................................huh?

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

That particular fruit just might have had a very important seed after all.......man ingested the seed of evil

Evil was not ingested in the fruit. Evil came about for man when adam and eve disobeyed God and sinned.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Thanks for the welcome Bopeep.

The verse I supplied above tells us we were allowed to eat from every tree that contains seeds right?  That would indicate to me that either:

God had made an incomplete statement in this verse regarding the fact that we could eat from every tree that had seeds (because if the Knowledge Tree had seeds we were not to eat from it).

or

The Knowledge tree had no seeds

If God had made an incomplete statement (He said "every" when it really wasn't so), can anyone clue me in as to how we would know (not assume) that God had indeed made the incomplete statement?

God speaks as He wishes to speak! And He speaks only the truth.

Why does it matter so much to you?

It's a curiosity - I think it's an interesting notion that the Tree of the Knowlege of Good and Evil "may not have" produced seeds.  It has interesting ramifications given all the places that seed is mentioned in scripture.

What would be the ramifications, might I ask?

clb

(Also, does anyone know whether there are edible seedless plants?  My botany is appalling).

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Although there in a reference in the Book Of Genesis to the tree and to the forbidden fruit, there is no mention of what fruit was it. However, in the Latin vulgate, the word  malum (an apple or evil in Latin) appeared in the translation of Genesis in the phrase ‘the tree of knowledge of good and evil’. From that time on ,people began to associate the apple with the fruit which Eve ate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So where did the idea of it being an apple come from? 

Several hundred years after Jesus died on the Cross, the Old and New Testaments were translated into a language known as Latin.  That translation is known as the Latin Vulgate.  Today, Latin is considered to be a dead language as no group of people speaks it openly anymore.  However, there are many old books and plays and other writings that were written in Latin, which is why some people still study and learn how to read and write in Latin.

At the time of the Latin Vulgate, the word for evil used in Genesis to describe the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was ‘malum’.  It also happened that the Latin word for apple is ‘malum’.  Ever since the time of the Latin Vulgate, people have considered the forbidden fruit to have been an apple because of the Latin using the same word as for both evil and apple.

Blessings clb!

All fruits have seeds(including bananas),vegetables do not,they are the plant & their flower produces seeds

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Although there in a reference in the Book Of Genesis to the tree and to the forbidden fruit, there is no mention of what fruit was it. However, in the Latin vulgate, the word  malum (an apple or evil in Latin) appeared in the translation of Genesis in the phrase ‘the tree of knowledge of good and evil’. From that time on ,people began to associate the apple with the fruit which Eve ate.

http://blog.eteacherbiblical.com/2009/11/08/the-forbidden-fruit-of-the-tree-of-knowledge-of-good-and-evil-part-1/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So where did the idea of it being an apple come from? 

Several hundred years after Jesus died on the Cross, the Old and New Testaments were translated into a language known as Latin.  That translation is known as the Latin Vulgate.  Today, Latin is considered to be a dead language as no group of people speaks it openly anymore.  However, there are many old books and plays and other writings that were written in Latin, which is why some people still study and learn how to read and write in Latin.

At the time of the Latin Vulgate, the word for evil used in Genesis to describe the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was ‘malum’.  It also happened that the Latin word for apple is ‘malum’.  Ever since the time of the Latin Vulgate, people have considered the forbidden fruit to have been an apple because of the Latin using the same word as for both evil and apple.

Read more at http://creationrevolution.com/was-the-forbidden-fruit-really-an-apple/#HEeks5Y4rlbD2iA7.99

Thank you, I appreciate the info and link!  This gives a plausible option as to how the notion of apple "crept" into the picture.

Edited by OneLight