missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

What does it mean in Timothy 4:2 regarding a "seared conscience"? Do you think everyone has a conscience.?Believers and unbelievers?

How can a sixteen year old kill his parents or rape a schoolmate and laugh at the camera?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I think everyone has a conscience (or should have) because we are made in God's image. I guess it can become damaged by sin.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Seared(adj)

scorched; cauterized; hence, figuratively, insensible; not susceptible to moral influence

this the best definition i could find. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I once knew an 11 year old boy who thought it was OK to break into empty houses because his cousin told him it was OK. He also gave has friend a baseball card and then flew into a high tae kwon do kick to his head because his friend refused to give it back. He litterally flew over the tops of 4 bus seats to do it. The kid seemed to have no concept of what it is to give a gift, or that it is wrong to break into and enter private property, or that he might have seriously injured his friend. No compassion at all. You can say he was just young, but I know of no other children of that age that don't have some idea of right and wrong. A 3 to 5 year old is just learning. He was a smart kid and very friendly. But I still wonder if he is a sociopath, or if he has a conscience.

An example of people with seared concience: Romans 1:18-32. v. 18 who suppress the truth in unrighteousness.

Perhaps it is years of ignoring their conscience and surpressing the truth that sends them into a spiral of selfish sin. But since the early 60s the schools have been teaching kids that there is no right or wrong--just shades of gray. So they do what is right in their own eyes and do what feels good. What a vacuum our society is in!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Just so everyone see easily......

King James Version (KJV)

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

Yes we all have a conscience but as Willamina pointed out if our conscience is pricked and we continually ignore it...it then becomes dull or seared...then we are in trouble !!