IGNORED

Personal Finance from a Christian Perspective?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Personal Finance from a Christian Perspective

When looking at personal finance I recently dug a little into the Bible to see what I could find. Here's some observations:

A. Proper Perspective – Who owns it all?

Psalm 50:10-11

10 For every beast of the forest is mine,

the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know all the birds of the hills,

and all that moves in the field is mine.

Earth+is+the+lords.JPG

Psalm 24:1

The Earth is the Lord's and everything in it. 

Remember, everything belongs to God. Everything that moves is God’s. The whole earth and those who dwell in the earth belong to God.

B. Good Steward? 

In reading the ”The Parable of the Talents” in Matt. 25:14-30

some thoughts come to mind. As a Christ-follower we have a responsibility to steward what God has entrusted us. Are we wasting our talents and money on things that don’t matter? A good steward is not inactive but pro-active in managing what his or master has entrusted to them. 

C. Be Cheerful Givers?

2 Cor. 9:7

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

We are to give cheerfully as we are able. Not with reluctance or under compulsion. This is one of the reasons I have a hard time with people who try to compel others to give. 

D. Practice Self-Control
Gal 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

2 Pet. 1:6

and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,

Self-control is a fruit of the Spirit and a mark of a Believer. Delayed gratification and spending less than you make comes into play here. 

E. Don’t be Arrogant but Do Consider Future Generations

Educated-Mother-Educating-Future-Generat

James 4:13-16
13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

Proverbs 13:22

22 A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children,

but the sinner's wealth is laid up for the righteous.

Scripture tells us we don’t know how long we’ll have in this life per James 4:13-16. But we need to consider our future generations including our children and children’s children.

F. Have A Generous Heart
The mark of a Believer and follower of Christ is a generous heart. Of interest Jesus told the story of ”The Parable of the Rich Fool” in Luke 12:13-31. Of note the rich man never considered giving some of the crop away to the poor, giving some of the crop away to the local religious organization for disbursement, or selling it at a lower cost to those in difficult situations. If God blesses you with wealth consider how you can help those around you in the Church and those outside the Church as well. 

G. Forgive as We Have Been Forgiven

Jesus in speaking to Peter about forgiveness gave a great illustration in The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant in Matthew 18:21-35. A good reminder how much we have been forgiven and how we have the opportunity to extend God’s grace to others. Particularly to those who owe us. Money issues are a primary cause of a lot of relationship conflicts. Consider instead of a loan giving a gift to a friend or family member.

H. Diversify Your Investments and Plan Ahead!

Retirement-Diverse-portfolio-a-plus-71MH

Ecclesiastes 11:2

Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.

Proverbs 13:16

A wise man thinks ahead; a fool doesn’t, and even brags about it!

It is important to diversify investments. My father always told me not to put all my eggs in one basket. Dividing investments into multiple types of accounts or companies is a good idea. Also, planning ahead is what a wise man does. From my understanding this means planning for retirement, having an emergency fund, and having a monthly budget.

What do you think of the above list? Do you agree or disagree? As a Christian how do you view personal finance? Leave a comment!

http://eaglesoaringhigher.blogspot.com/2014/04/personal-finance-from-christian.html

What do you think of the above list? Do you agree or disagree? As a Christian how do you view personal finance?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

I totally agree, some excellent points GE. 

But what would we make of Solomon remark?

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

Ecclesiastes 10:19

My finances are a way of God blessing me, by allowing me to bless other and He in return blessing me more.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

My finances are a way of God blessing me, by allowing me to bless other and He in return blessing me more.

Amen to that. God has never failed, not once, to prove that to me! 

Mal_3:10  Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. 

Notice Tithing was never mentioned once... What do you think?

It's true money does help a lot. Particularly when you have money to help those in need, suffering, and poor. :thumbsup:

Mal_3:10  Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. 

See, Tithing is never mentioned once in the OP.

I think this passage and others are taken out of context. I don't believe God's blessings or lack there of depend on my actions. But I'd like to explore this further brother with you or anyone else if you'd like?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

God is faithful to replace that which i have shared with others or given back to Him. It is more like Malachi 3:11, in that He seems to reduce those emergency expenses such as vet. bills or auto repairs. We don't get rich, but I am not in want.

One of my priorities is seeing that our grandkids go to church camp, retreats, or ministry opportunities. That is my way of sewing to the future. They need to know how much fun they can have in Christ, as opposed to the world's fun, and what a blessing it is to serve God.

I try to give to the poor when I see a need, especially Bibles to the poor in other lands. Sometimes I gave an opportunity for income, such as a goat or 2, or I have contributed toward bathrooms and wells in India that were not available to outcasts or lepers. But only as God led me and as my hubby approves or suggests. Right now I am looking for a home for some new shoes--my feet grew (arches fell) so that I can't wear some I bought on sale in advance. Illness kept my old ones from wearing out so now there are extra. I am waiting on God for direction.

We are not physically able to give of ourselves or our labor much anymore due to our own disabilities. We can't be depended upon to serve in church, for instance, which we have done in the past. So we have to ask how God wants us to serve Him now.

Blessings,

Willa

Hot news flash! God is so good! Our church does not have a "closet " to give the poor clothing, but I just called them only to learn that a group from our church is collecting shoes to give to the poor on a missions trip! They have been set aside for a year, waiting on God's direction. He is so cool.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I would add one thing: the Psalms also say that the Heavens are the Lord's but the Earth He has given to the children of men. Therefore, by right of creation God does own everything, as His Word says, but in the same manner as you will one day let your child drive your car that you own, so God has given us the Earth (otherwise, we would have to say that God is letting Satan run the Earth and use His resources to do bad stuff).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Notice Tithing was never mentioned once... What do you think?

It's true money does help a lot. Particularly when you have money to help those in need, suffering, and poor. :thumbsup:

See, Tithing is never mentioned once in the OP.

I think this passage and others are taken out of context. I don't believe God's blessings or lack there of depend on my actions. But I'd like to explore this further brother with you or anyone else if you'd like?

God bless,

GE

So GE, are you saying that Luke 6:38, is not about money, but rather having a forgiving spirit to others?

Not sure where I stand on the tithing, but what do you think of the passage in Hebrews 7?

So GE, are you saying that Luke 6:38, is not about money, but rather having a forgiving spirit to others?

Not sure where I stand on the tithing, but what do you think of the passage in Hebrews 7?

Re: Luke 6:38... What do you think this passage is talking about brother?

Luke 6:37-42

Judging Others

37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

39 He also told them a parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher. 41 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye.

God bless,

GE

@19Duggarfan... Re: Hebrews 7... What stands out to you in that chapter? I linked it as it is a bit long to post here.