FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

I have always been a little perplexed by some Bible Passages: About King Hezekiah and King Josiah in the Bible.

II King 18:5

He trusted in Lord God of Israel so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, neither were there before him.

This passage speaks of King Hezekiah, and what a wonderful testament to receive from God, I think we all would love God to make such a statement about us.

But later we read

II King 23:25

Like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the Lord with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might according to all the Law of Moses, neither after him arose there any like him.

This passage speak of King Josiah, and again what a wonderful statement for God to make about someone.

But i am confused, how can both thee statement be true.  I know there is something I missed, does anyone have any ideas?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

The first passage you mentioned seems to be a reference to trusting God. Maybe he had a lot of faith in God and trusted him for everything.

The second passage seems to be a reference to turning fully to the Lord with all his heart, soul and mind according to all the Law of Moses. It seems like he loved God with all of himself and tried to live his life following the Law of Moses.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have read through some scripture that hasn't clicked in my mind as far as immediate understanding goes, then I re-read it until I have a more clear understanding. Asking questions and having discussion with Christians I know sometimes works faster though. Either discussing it with Christians you know or asking on this forum is smart of you because it gets you another Christian's perspective on something you feel stuck on. God bless you brother.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have always been a little perplexed by some Bible Passages: About King Hezekiah and King Josiah in the Bible.

He trusted in Lord God of Israel so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, neither were there before him.

This passage speaks of King Hezekiah, and what a wonderful testament to receive from God, I think we all would love God to make such a statement about us.

But later we read

Like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the Lord with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might according to all the Law of Moses, neither after him arose there any like him.

This passage speak of King Josiah, and again what a wonderful statement for God to make about someone.

But i am confused, how can both thee statement be true.  I know there is something I missed, does anyone have any ideas?

Are you wondering why the two Kings seem to be blessed in the same way?

2Ki 18:1  Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea (Josiah)son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

So who was the greater king? Hezekiah or Josiah (you are really with the upper crust in Kings of Judah now).

I noticed what seemed to be a conflict long ago between the praise statements of these 2 kings long ago. After thinking about it, it seems to me that we should recognize a Hebrew figure of speech here: "none like," as a hyperbole, not to be taken take strictly literal, like, "Moreover Manasseh shed innocent blood very much, till he had filled Jerusalem from one end to another;" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compare the below: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The sword of Goliath the Philistine, …David said, There is none like that; give me it."

"But there was none like Ahab, who did sell himself to do that which was evil in the sight of Jehovah, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up. And he did very abominably in following idols,"

Hezekiah: "He trusted in Yahweh, the God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor among them that were before him."

Josiah: "And like him was there no king before him, who turned to Jehovah with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him."

"Jehovah said to Satan, Have you considered my servant Job? for there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one who fears God, and turns away from evil."

"9 And the king communed with them; and among them all was found none like Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: therefore they stood before the king."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notwithstanding the probability of a figure of speech, it is to be noted that the praise is somewhat different for each king. Hezekiah's excellence was in trusting the LORD. Josiah's excellence was in turning to the LORD according to the Law of Moses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hezekiah: "He trusted in Yahweh, the God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor among them that were before him." ---------------

Josiah: "And like him was there no king before him, who turned to Jehovah with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For many years I have been reading the Bible over and over. Sometimes one finds passages that are difficult to understand and may seem to be contradictory or to lead to a non-Christian conclusion; but upon analysis, I have never found any passage which had to be taken contradictory to another verse or to truth of any kind.

Edited by Atwood

Guest Butero

But later we read

These are two of my favorite Kings.  Josiah is my favorite.  I think it is just making a statement about them, and showing what great men of God they were.  I just look at it as speaking of their uniqueness.  There was none other like Hezekiah, and there was none other like Josiah.  They both served God with their whole heart, but they were different people dealing with different situations.  Josiah really came to power during a dark time in Judah.  The nation had become wicked to the point of no return, yet Josiah was determined to serve the Lord, and to turn the nation back to God.  They were both wonderful examples in how they governed.  Neither was perfect, but overall, they were great leaders.  It is a shame that can't be said of some of the other Kings.  If they all had that same spirit, Judah would have continued forever.  God delayed judgment on Judah for the sake of Josiah.  That says a lot. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

But later we read

Are you wondering why the two Kings seem to be blessed in the same way?

2Ki 18:1  Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea (Josiah)son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign.

No, I was wondering why the same phrases where use to describe both King Hezekiah and Josiah, but I think that Clear and Atwood have pretty much clear it up.

But later we read

These are two of my favorite Kings.  Josiah is my favorite.  I think it is just making a statement about them, and showing what great men of God they were.  I just look at it as speaking of their uniqueness.  There was none other like Hezekiah, and there was none other like Josiah.  They both served God with their whole heart, but they were different people dealing with different situations.  Josiah really came to power during a dark time in Judah.  The nation had become wicked to the point of no return, yet Josiah was determined to serve the Lord, and to turn the nation back to God.  They were both wonderful examples in how they governed.  Neither was perfect, but overall, they were great leaders.  It is a shame that can't be said of some of the other Kings.  If they all had that same spirit, Judah would have continued forever.  God delayed judgment on Judah for the sake of Josiah.  That says a lot. 

Yea, Butero, next to Jesus, Josiah is by far my favorite King.  Hezekiah was a great king, but I lost a little respect for him, after the 15 years were added to his life and Hezekiah shows all that he had to the ambassador/prince from Babylon and Isaiah pass judgment from God and all he seem to worry about was his reign not his offspring, II King 20:12-19.