GlidingWings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

Hi when I was growing up the number 13 was considered a number of bad luck. All this watch out for Friday the 13th. Even to say a movie made Friday the 13th. To even go further some buildings do not even have a 13th floor. Sometimes 1 am as the witching hour.

On the other hand 13 has been known as a good number the 13 first colonies. I heard that in the military they fold the flag times. I also once here that Jesus was considered the 13th of the 12 disciples.

So I am confused then. What should one consider the number13? Does it represent a bad number? Or was it that thirteen was attacked just because Jesus was the 13th among the disciples? Did 13 become bad because Satan wanted to twist its meaning?

Or is 13 rather a receptacle number representing the 13 colonies and Jesus among the 12 disciples? So do you believe this number represents a bad image or anything to do with witchcraft of Satanism? Or is 13 actually a good number. Only that it was attacked just to make it look like a bad number. I hate this number looking like both the good and bad guy. If only one was truer than the other. What do you think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Don't take numbers seriously. Christians are not meant to be superstitious. It doesn't mean that God doesn't like numbers, he certainly appears to do to me, but he explains their purpose and how they apply at different times to different things. But on their own they mean nothing. 13 is no different to 666.

The number thirteen represents bad luck from many a Christian's perspective but this belief is not scriptural. You can't worry about the 13th of the month, whether you live at house number 13 or whether you are on the thirteenth floor of a hotel. Believers are protected from superstition. It may be interesting for historical purposes to find out why thirteen became an unlucky number, and yes the origins are possibly based on interpretations of the Bible, but in the end the number means nothing at all. It's just a number!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Hi GlidingWings,

The number twelve is considered the number of completeness,as reflected in the 12 months of the year,twelve signs of the Zodiac,Twelve hours of the clock,twelve tribes of Israel and the twelve apostles of Jesus.Where 13 is irregular.Fearing the number 13 is superstition.It has no place in the mind and heart of a Christian.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

When the king of France and the Pope got together and decided to do away with the the Knights Templar.    It was Friday the 13th when they started arresting the Templars.    As for the number itself, there are many different ideas that have come and gone.....   part of the makeup of human nature and superstition.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

just a note; when you stack floors of buildings atop each other after the 12th floor the next one is floor 13 no matter what number tag it gets, it can be number 99 but it is 13 floors from the ground.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It would help if you looked at numbers from the meanings Scripture gives them.

On the other hand 13 has been known as a good number the 13 first colonies.

Well, this is interesting:

Thirteen : 13 -- The Biblical Meaning of Number 13: comes from my understanding, that it is at times, associated with: the rebellion of things, corruption, abandonment, defection, revolution, to break or destroy.

FYI: Now when it comes to the Jewish culture, this number deals in reference with someone who is both loving and caring. A number that at times, is considered holy. This number also signifies a turning point from within one's life, a turning point that indicates increased responsibility and accountability.

(emphasis mine)

Source

I also once here that Jesus was considered the 13th of the 12 disciples.

:huh: How could Jesus be a disciple of Himself?