IGNORED

God Is Not A Man!

Robert Sanders

Guest Butero

you all need to define "God"     once again you guys are talking about the Father, the Son and the Spirit as being the same thing and they are not.

Jesus is a man......   or was and is what we will some day be.

The Holy Spirit is just that.....

The Father is something that looks like Jesus did when he was here for he told us that when we had seen him we had seen the Father.

So I would say that the Father is male also......    I know that may be twisting things a bit......   but it's cool anyway..

When did someone bring up the Holy Spirit? I read the discussion being about God the Father and Jesus whom both seem male or are at least referred to as being male. Also if one believes in the Trinity then they might see all as one...

Nobody did bring up the Holy Spirit because we have no evidence that the Holy Spirit ever appeared to anyone in any form.  Well, that is not entirely true.  The Holy Spirit appeared as flaming tongues of fire on the day of Pentecost.  The only instances where we see God in a human like form, he is male.  We know that God created Adam in his image, and Eve was formed from Adam's rib.  There is no instance of God ever appearing as a female in any form.  You could say that God the Holy Spirit isn't male, but it is obvious that God is male because of Jesus Christ and the Father. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Guest Butero

For the record - God is spirit.

God entered humanity as a man because of the laws of nature.

Man is human - God is spirit.

The question probably should be - is God "male"?

The Bible does speak of God in terms of male characteristics - He, husband etc.

Correct.  God is also described as heavenly Father and his only begotten son, Jesus Christ.  The Holy Spirit is only shown to be a Spirit.  The Holy Spirit is called our comforter and teacher and has appeared as flaming tongues of fire, but there is nothing in any of that to indicate being male or female, just Spirit. 

you all need to define "God"     once again you guys are talking about the Father, the Son and the Spirit as being the same thing and they are not.

The Father is something that looks like Jesus did when he was here for he told us that when we had seen him we had seen the Father.

So I would say that the Father is male also.....

:thumbsup:

God (The Father) ~ Delighted Abba

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. Proverbs 3:11-12

God (The Son) ~ Loving Savior

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, Ephesians 5:25 (ESV)

God (The Holy Ghost) ~ Tender Teacher

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

My Mighty LORD God Almighty

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him,

and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Matthew 3:16-17

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

So I would say that the Father is male also......    I know that may be twisting things a bit......   but it's cool anyway..

When did someone bring up the Holy Spirit? I read the discussion being about God the Father and Jesus whom both seem male or are at least referred to as being male. Also if one believes in the Trinity then they might see all as one...

Nobody did bring up the Holy Spirit because we have no evidence that the Holy Spirit ever appeared to anyone in any form.  Well, that is not entirely true.  The Holy Spirit appeared as flaming tongues of fire on the day of Pentecost.  The only instances where we see God in a human like form, he is male.  We know that God created Adam in his image, and Eve was formed from Adam's rib.  There is no instance of God ever appearing as a female in any form.  You could say that God the Holy Spirit isn't male, but it is obvious that God is male because of Jesus Christ and the Father. 

I agree that no one brought up the Holy Spirit but I was responding to "the other ones" post that we were talking about them as being the same. I was confused by the statement and how we need to define God. I do agree that one can't really say the Holy Spirit is male but that the the Father and the Son are male. This is just a general observation taken from my college peers (no data behind it just my observation) but I feel there is a push to make God more gender neutral or to see God as a female rather than male. Have you ever seen this occurrence Butero? Is there some type of danger in seeing God as a male rather than gender neutral or a female?

Thanks rev90

Guest Butero

I agree that no one brought up the Holy Spirit but I was responding to "the other ones" post that we were talking about them as being the same. I was confused by the statement and how we need to define God. I do agree that one can't really say the Holy Spirit is male but that the the Father and the Son are male. This is just a general observation taken from my college peers (no data behind it just my observation) but I feel there is a push to make God more gender neutral or to see God as a female rather than male. Have you ever seen this occurrence Butero? Is there some type of danger in seeing God as a male rather than gender neutral or a female?

Thanks rev90

I think there is a definite move to make God have a feminine side or at least gender neutral.  The TNIV translation changed the text to make God gender neutral to the best of their ability.  All I want is the truth.  I want to see God as he is.  I did notice one thing in the text Fresno Joe brought into the conversation,  It actually refers to the Holy Spirit as "he."  "He shall teach you all things." 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

God shows Himself in the male gender due to His authority.  As in the family, the male (husband, father) is the head of the family, so God is the head of His family.  He has to define Himself this way for us, with our simple minds, could understand and relate to what He is saying.

Guest Butero

God shows Himself in the male gender due to His authority.  As in the family, the male (husband, father) is the head of the family, so God is the head of His family.  He has to define Himself this way for us, with our simple minds, could understand and relate to what He is saying.

That does make sense, and you can say that with relation to simply calling God our heavenly Father, but in the case of Jesus Christ, he was not only described as a man so we could understand in our minds, but he was a real man.  In that sense, God is a man, as Jesus Christ is God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

That does make sense, and you can say that with relation to simply calling God our heavenly Father, but in the case of Jesus Christ, he was not only described as a man so we could understand in our minds, but he was a real man.  In that sense, God is a man, as Jesus Christ is God. 

Since God set up man and woman, the man being the authoritative figure.  He had to came as a man in order to have the authority He set up.  Only men were taught, and taught in the culture Jesus was born into.  The woman was taught by the male head of the family.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I love to sing that song.

God is not a man that he should lie;

Neither the son of man that he should repent;

Hath He said, & shall He not do it?

Behold, I have received,

Commandment to bless;

And He hath blessed and I cannot reverse it;

For God is not a man that He should lie;

Neither the son of man that he should repent

Oh . . . Oh . . .

Unfortunately Balaam failed to get the spiritual point that he prophesied.

Edited by Atwood