IGNORED

So what are we to make of this new Pope?

JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

The world is completely enamored with Francis, which ought to be a clue. The media who loves to take pot shots at anything even remotely associated with Jesus Christ is in love with this guy. Granted the name Jesus rarely comes up. It "the Church" this and "Catholic" that. And strangely it was President Obama who mentioned Jesus and the Gospel in tonight's 60 Minutes interview.

Aside from brilliant Roman Catholic Imperial strategy (doing damage control in the face of financial and sexual scandals that would not go away) we are seeing promotional press about this guy as if he were Pope Gandhi / Mahatma Francis. And again, it is the institutions that he is impressing most that has me (at least) concerned. Is this a forerunner (false prophet) of the antichrist (false messiah)?

Tired old expressions, I know. Over used. Misused. And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be.

Reminding ourselves in the midst of the love fests that surround this guy, Roman Catholicism hijacked Christianity and nearly processed it out of existence turning the Roman Empire into a Church with Jesus' name on it.

So are any of you buying into this campaign?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

nope, I've read "Windswept House"...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

it looks like he has got some popularity by acting frugal with his own expenses, living modestly.

It was posted " And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be."

Where do you find "all the biblical warnings" not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible? Do you reject the spiritual gift of teaching?

Now take the words that you just posted, are you quoting the Bible when you say them? If not, and people follow your admonitions, are they going outside the Bible?

Edited by Atwood

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm assuming you are writing to John.....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I pretty much ignore him.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

Not I; I don't trust any Pope nor do I regard any of them as 'God's representative"on earth.  Jesus held that position. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I pretty much ignore him.

Same here, but not always.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Not I; I don't trust any Pope nor do I regard any of them as 'God's representative"on earth.  Jesus held that position. 

True.

One thing about Catholicism that really worries me (well, there's more than one actually, but I don't want to digress) is that the Bible says that we should call nobody 'father' other than God.

Not only is the Pope called father but so are all Catholic priests. That's just wrong!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

True.

One thing about Catholicism that really worries me (well, there's more than one actually, but I don't want to digress) is that the Bible says that we should call nobody 'father' other than God.

Not only is the Pope called father but so are all Catholic priests. That's just wrong!

That is an issue for the Catholics.God knows.

• Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

it looks like he has got some popularity by acting frugal with his own expenses, living modestly.

It was posted " And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be."

Where do you find "all the biblical warnings" not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible? Do you reject the spiritual gift of teaching?

Now take the words that you just posted, are you quoting the Bible when you say them? If not, and people follow your admonitions, are they going outside the Bible?

2 Peter 1:20-21 (KJV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The Law

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV)

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (KJV)

32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

The Writings

Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)

5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

The Prophets

Revelation 22:18-19 (KJV)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Ecclesiastes 3:14 (KJV)

14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (KJV)

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 John 4:1 (KJV)

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 (KJV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

You test all things by the scriptures not the scriptures by all things. For therein lies the authority*.

You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside.

The Holy Spirit who wrote the Bible (2 Peter 1:20-21) leads us to all truth (John 16:13). But you cannot know it even is actually the Holy Spirit without the Bible (Acts 17:11 / 1 John 4:1).

* Psalm 138:2 (KJV)

2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

John 17:17 (KJV)

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.