IGNORED

Good Friday (Lords Crucifixion) ... or not?

Donibm

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

For example, in Luke 24:21 when Jesus is talking to Cleopas and his companion on the road to Emmaus we read this, "But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened." As this was the first day of the week (Sunday) that means the crucifixion had to have been on the Friday. If Jesus Christ had been in the tomb for 72 hours it would have been the fourth day.  

Hi Reformed Baptist,

Except the Jewish day, unlike the Western day, begins in the evening, when the moon rises. This has always been the case and it is the same way they count the days of Genesis ("evening then morning the first day")

Although true it is immaterial to the equation because it still works out the same

Fri - placed in tomb -- Day 1

Sat (beginning at sunset) -- Day 2

Sun (beginning at sunset) -- Day 3

Morning resurrection on the Sunday would be the third day since his burial, and clearly according to Luke 24:21 which occurs on Sunday afternoon it was the third day! 

Jesus was crucified on Preparation Day, Thursday but died in the afternoon and was buried in the evening. His burial, still officialy on preparation Day, was hurried, because they could do nothing once it became Passover. So officially it was still before Moon Rise and therefore before the Sabbath rest. In AD30 the Passover started on Thursday Evening at Moon Rise and Christ was crucified just prior to the Sabbath rest.

What year did Jesus die?

I am sorry my friend but this line of reasoning is full of assumptions that have no biblical or historical support at all! 

Firstly we do not know with absolute certainty what year Jesus was born (4BC most likely) 

Secondly note that we do not know how old Jesus was when he began his ministry, The only record we have is found in Luke's gospel and he says Jesus was about 30. Now Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, (Luk 3:23 NKJ)

Thirdly we do not know how long his ministry lasted, it is assumed that it lasted a little over three years based upon the feasts mentioned in the Gospel of John however John may have only mentioned the feasts that were relevant - In truth Jesus' ministry could have been longer.

A conservative estimate would put the crucifixion between AD28 and AD34 so we cannot with certainty work the dates back and come to a conclusion about which was the day of preparation. 

One Sabbath or Two Sabbaths?

Now let's come to the scriptural references you posted my friend.

Notice that both Mark and Luke say it was the preparation day for the Sabbath, only John mentions a preparation day for the passover.  However John also says it was the preparation day for the Sabbath σαββάτῳ (Singular) and he goes onto say that Sabbath σαββάτου (singular )was a high day. So clearly it was the preparation day for both the sabbath and the passover however the use of the term sabbath in the singular strongly suggests these 'sabbaths' both occurred on the same day.

Now we come to examine what is said about the period of time after the burial: 

Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath (σάββατον - singular) according to the commandment. (NKJ)

So, the women rested on the Sabbath (singular) not on the Sabbaths (plural) this strongly suggests that there was just one full day between the burial and resurrection  

Now we come onto the events of Sunday morning and we read: 

Mark 16:1 Now when the Sabbath (σαββάτου - singular) was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him. (NKJ) 

So again, when the Sabbath was past, not when the Sabbaths were past. Of course Matthew does use the word 'Sabbaths' (σαββάτων) in his parallel account (Mat 28:1) however considering what the other Gospel writers say it is same to assume that his Gospel record is confirming what we already know that the Sabbath and the passover were the same day that year. 

So:

Day#1 Thursday evening before moon rise started the Sabbath to Friday Evening (Thursday evening was the Sabbath of Passover in AD30.

Day#2 Friday evening to Saturday Evening (The ordinary Sabbath - 2 in a row makes it a high Sabbath)

Day#3 Saturday evening to Sunday Dawn - the 3rd Day, less that 72 hours but 3 days and 3 nights

Third day or after 3 literal days and 3 literal nights? 

Well, we have already seen that the a priori assumption that Jesus died in AD30 is just that - an assumption :D

However there is another problem with your logic - what you say does not equal 3 days and three nights!  

Thursday evening ( 1 day)

Thur Night to Fri evening (1 night & 1 Day)

Fri night to Sat evening (1 night & 1 Day)

Sat night to Sun Morning (1 night & 1 Day)

Now, potentially depending upon how you choose to count days you might suggest that I drop either the first day in that list or the last, however even if I did that I still end up with three days in the tomb yet the scriptures are clear that Jesus Christ rose on the third day and was seen by people on the third day. 

Luke 24:21 "But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened. (NKJ)

Luke 24:46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, ( NKJ)

Acts 10:40 "Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly,  (NKJ)

1 Corinthians 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, (NKJ)

This is also what Jesus Christ prophesied would happen: 

Matthew 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. (NKJ)

Matthew 17:23 "and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up." And they were exceedingly sorrowful. (NKJ)

Matthew 20:19 "and deliver Him to the Gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify. And the third day He will rise again." (NKJ)

See also, Mar 9:31, 10:34, Luk 9:22, 13:32, 18:33 for parallel passages in other gospels. 

Interestingly even his enemies understood this to be the case, Matthew 27:64 "Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day, lest His disciples come by night and steal Him away , and say to the people,`He has risen from the dead.' So the last deception will be worse than the first." (NKJ)

In conclusion to put Jesus in the tomb for three days forces us to conclude that the gospel writers, the apostle Paul and also the Lord Jesus Christ got the prophecies wrong and also got the length of the burial wrong, for if he was in the tomb for 3 days he must have been raised on the fourth day, all for the sake of one an ambiguous prophecy that Jesus Christ made,  which certain hermeneutics demand must be understood not in a grammatical/ historical context or in the light of the rest of scripture but rather in a 19th century rationalistic and woodenly literal way that ignore's genre etc :D of course the solution to the sign of Jonah is found in Ester as I have already pointed out.   

Edited by Reformed Baptist

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Although true it is immaterial to the equation because it still works out the same

Fri - placed in tomb -- Day 1

Sat (beginning at sunset) -- Day 2

Sun (beginning at sunset) -- Day 3

Morning resurrection on the Sunday would be the third day since his burial, and clearly according to Luke 24:21 which occurs on Sunday afternoon it was the third day!

Hi Reformed Baptist,

Well, in matters of faith I certainly don't deem this to be of crucial importance to either of us but I do think it is worth looking into a bit more if you'd like. We clearly both seem to believe in a Sunday predawn to dawn resurrection according to Scripture. And while Scripture doesn't exactly tell us what Roman day of the week that our Lord was crucified I believe what I have stated previously was reliable information. My whole reason in looking at this in detail is for reliability purposes. Perhaps it may be helpful towards apologetics as well. Diligence is always worth pursuing and testing.

I did illustrate the 3 Jewish days of Christ burial. Here it is once more:

Day 1: Thursday evening to Friday sunset (the evening and the morning were the first day.)

Day 2: Friday night to Saturday sunset (the evening and the morning were the 2nd day.)

Day 3: Saturday night to Sunday Morning (the evening and the morning were the 3rd day.))

Now I think you may have inferred Jesus was in the tomb before the appearance of the full moon, which somehow you think should count for an extra day. Now, while I do believe they did manage to roll that stone up before the appearance of the full moon that night, I'm pretty certain that they did not make it by much. The thing is you have about at least 15 hours remaining after dawn on Sunday to account vs. perhaps an hour, if that, on that night, so not seeing the point.

By Jewish Day of reckoning - they did not follow Western code so the Friday really doesn't work out

Friday Evening to Saturday Sunset (So the evening and the morning were the first day.)

Sat (beginning at sunset) to Sunday Sunset -- Day 2

But Christ was raised on "Sunday morning" - that's problematic, since it is only two days

So if we use a Friday reckoning of the crucifixion we only have 2 days and not three. But there are further problems here as well. The Gospels clearly show us Jesus was crucified on Preparation day, which is the day before Passover the holy Sabbath unto the Jews.

Now unless the Passover fell on a Saturday this also does not line up with the Gospels either. Now AD 30 does happen to line up with the 3 Jewish days of reckoning, according to the Scriptures. There are others such as AD31 and AD34 as well. I do have a specific Scriptural reference for choosing AD30 though but first let's examine a Preparation Day Crucifixion and burial just before the Passover Sabbath that would line up with a Friday evening burial - the normal Sabbath.

As seen below:

So Nisan 14, Preparation Day, began on Wednesday Evening and Ended on Thursday at sunset, for in AD30 the Passover began at the sighting of the Full Moon @ 9:37 PM. So Nissan 14 covers, in Roman time, Wednesday Eve and Thursday Day. Since Jesus was crucified at the sixth hour, i.e. noon, that would have been Thursday April 6th AD30. He died at about 3 PM and Joseph of Arimathea had to ask to have Jesus' crucified body transferred to his garden tomb. Nicodemus and he the would have only had just a few hours to bury Him before the moon rose, which would have been Nisan15, the start of the high Sabbath of the Holy Passover.

The Gospel of John indeed tells us the crucifixion ended just before a Sabbath which was a high day.

Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

But you say you have no reason to believe Jesus was crucified in AD 30? That's fine, we can have that discussion why it does line up very well with Scripture but let's table that for now and consider your point instead of mine.

You're advocating for a Friday crucifixion. So I think you would agree that it has to be both the night after preparation day (i.e Passover) and also a Friday night/Saturday eve Sabbath right? In order to follow the Scriptures I'm stating that this must needs be so. The problem is that when we look for a Passover beginning on a Friday Evening that's problematic, whereas a Thursday is not. Let's examine this:

We can refine our exact boundary years as to the year both by Scripture and historical sources, as we know Pontius Pilate, who sentenced Jesus to crucifixion, began his reign in AD26 (Josephus 18), the year prior to the genesis of John the Baptist's ministry [Luke 3:1-6].

Pilate reign also subsequently ended prior to the visit of Vitellius in AD 36. AD27 is also unlikely since this is when John began his ministry and we know Jesus ministry was at least one year and by John's reckoning almost 3 years. One reason AD30 isn't just a swag AD27 to AD30 is 3 years. But to your point, can we find a Passover in those years of AD28 to AD36 that falls on the traditional Sabbath (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset?)

I put down AD27 anyway, although we know it couldn't have occurred in that year.

Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, while Annas and Caiaphas were high priests, the word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

This would be AD27.

Now as we go through the Hebrew calendars for these dates please recall that Nissan 15 begins at the sighting of the moon.

AD27 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right; Nissan 15 Passover began on Thursday at sunset

Su Mn Tu Wd Th Fr St Su Mn Tu Wd Th Fr St

04 05 06 07 08 09 10 30 31 01 02 03 04 05 April

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 06 07 08 09 10 11 12

AD28 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right; Nissan doesn't work, since Passover began on Tuesday at sunset

06 07 08 09 10 11 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 01 May

AD29 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right; Nissan (doesn't work either since Passover began on Sunday at sunset

08 09 10 11 12 13 14 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

15 16 17 18 19 20 21 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

AD30 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right;

Nissan (of course is the date that I'm proposing where Passover began Thursday evening in early April)

04 05 06 07 08 09 10 26 27 28 29 30 31 01 April

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 02 03 04 05 06 07 08

So Nisan 14, Preparation Day, began on Wednesday Evening and Ended on Thursday at sunset, when Passover began at the sighting of the Full Moon @ 9:37 PM. So Nissan 14 covers in Roman time Wednesday Eve and Thursday Day. Since Jesus was crucified at the sixth hour, around noon that day. Going by my reckoning that would have been Thursday April 6th AD30. He died at about 3 PM according to the Scriptures and we have to give time for Joseph of Arimathea to ask Pilate to have Jesus' crucified body transferred to his garden tomb. By the time he got approval Joseph and Nicodemus would have only had mere hours, a few or or less, in order to bury our Lord before sunset, which would have been Nisan 15 the Holy Passover.

The Calendar for AD30 above shows this would have occurred on Thursday

AD31 Nissan to the left again April to the right - again Passover starts on Thursday Evening in late April

04 05 06 07 08 09 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 April

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

AD32 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right - Passover starts on Tuesday Evening

06 07 08 09 10 11 12 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 April

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

AD33 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right - Passover starts on Saturday Evening

09 10 11 12 13 14 15 29 30 31 1 2 3 4 April

AD34 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right - Passover starts on Thursday Evening

11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 April 

AD35 Nissan to the left & Roman April to the right - Passover starts on Tuesday Evening

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 April

AD36 (the last possible year) Nissan to the left & Roman March to the right, shows Passover beginning on Saturday at Sunset

09 10 11 12 13 14 15 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 March.

As I said before, there are other reasons for the AD30 date but this post is long enough already. Hope you will consider this first before we move on.

Thanks,

And may the Lord bless your evening.

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  235
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

Friend, 

You are right this is not a matter of crucial importance. 

I thank you for all the evidence you have taken the time to spell out, tell me why AD33 isn't a possibility - it seems to fit with what I am saying :D.

It seems to me that the early church had a pretty good idea when Jesus died, but not when he was born, and therefore they worked back based upon his ministry beginning at 30 (incorrect assumption, it began when he was about 30 as we have already seen) and that his ministry lasted three years (again an assumption based upon the feasts mentioned in John's gospel) and hence set year 0 when it couldn't possibly be. 

In regards to the days we seem to be talking at cross purposes I think, I allowed that you probably wouldn't count either the first or the last day in your equation (and herein lies part of the problem, even within the gospel records there is evidence of the writers counting days differently depending upon their target audience - I have already demonstrated that). However my argument is based upon the biblical text that I feel makes plain that the high Sabbath was a double Sabbath on one day and that the Lord Jesus Christ rose on the third day - to my mind your way of getting to that seems somewhat contrived whilst the traditional way of doing it seems natural and has biblical support in the example of Eshter that I mentioned earlier.  Also i would note that the traditional view is based upon very early (2nd cent.) historical records including the Didache and writers like Ignatius, Barnabas, Clement of Alexandria etc 

However it has been an enjoyable discussion, held in a good spirit, so I thank you for that and I will await your response if you wish to make one :D 

Edited by Reformed Baptist

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/08/1984

In addressing the atheist criticism of the Bible on this issue, I concluded that the supernatural darkness of Matthew 27:45 resulted in God miraculously speeding up time so Jesus would have to spend less time in the grave. If that did change the chronology, it would result in an extra day and night, bringing the chronology perfectly in line.

http://www.bereawiki.com/wiki/ABC:Matthew_12#Verse_40

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Friend, 

You are right this is not a matter of crucial importance. 

I thank you for all the evidence you have taken the time to spell out, tell me why AD33 isn't a possibility - it seems to fit with what I am saying :D.

Good Morning Reformed Baptist,

It would have been a double Sabbath. Passover an AD33 would have begun Saturday at sunset but the regular Sabbath would have started on Friday sunset and would have persisted through Saturday evening. The Jews would not have let the Sabbath be profaned by crucifixion's taking place on the Sabbath.

It seems to me that the early church had a pretty good idea when Jesus died, but not when he was born, and therefore they worked back based upon his ministry beginning at 30 (incorrect assumption, it began when he was about 30 as we have already seen) and that his ministry lasted three years (again an assumption based upon the feasts mentioned in John's gospel) and hence set year 0 when it couldn't possibly be.

There really is no year 0, the calendars go from 1 BC to AD 1 but I'm not completely sure that was what you were implying.

You are correct that we don't exactly know the exact year Jesus was born but we do have some circumstantial evidence. Everyone used to think Jesus had to have been born in 4 BC because Herod's death in the 19th century had been calculated by Emil Schürerto to 4 BC and that stood in scholarly circles for quite while. Since Herod is a necessary part of the Christmas story it naturally follows that Jesus' birth had to precede Herod's death. The only issue there is Emil miscalculated Herod death date. Josephus provides us with many clues that lead us to January 1 BC. I had posted some of this before so you can take a look at that (it's about 8 posts back) but suffice to say it harmonizes well that Jesus starting his ministry in the same year as John the Baptist if he was born in 3 BC. Remember Herod went after all those 2 or under so 3 BC is definitely a candidate and moving forward to John the Baptist's ministry starting in AD27 - it does make sense.

Now Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli, the son of ...]

In regards to the days we seem to be talking at cross purposes I think, I allowed that you probably wouldn't count either the first or the last day in your equation (and herein lies part of the problem, even within the gospel records there is evidence of the writers counting days differently depending upon their target audience - I have already demonstrated that). However my argument is based upon the biblical text that I feel makes plain that the high Sabbath was a double Sabbath on one day and that the Lord Jesus Christ rose on the third day - to my mind your way of getting to that seems somewhat contrived whilst the traditional way of doing it seems natural and has biblical support in the example of Eshter that I mentioned earlier.  Also i would note that the traditional view is based upon very early (2nd cent.) historical records including the Didache and writers like Ignatius, Barnabas, Clement of Alexandria etc

I am not aware that the postulate contradicts anything the early Church fathers state at all, with the possible exception of Jerome - who is pretty late. Perhaps you could post those quotes in case I missed something?

However it has been an enjoyable discussion, held in a good spirit, so I thank you for that and I will await your response if you wish to make one :D

Yes, I agree and thank you for your viewpoints.

May God bless you and your family, Pat

• 5 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  422

Reformed Baptist,

re: "... of course the solution to the sign of Jonah is found in Ester as I have already pointed out."

here is nothing in the Esther account that precludes at least parts of each one of three daytimes and at least a part of each one of three nighttimes.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Thank you Donibm for your question.

Here for what it is worth is my understanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------

A problem with time.

Mat 12:40 For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

I believe that Jesus was crucified on Thursday, for the reasons given below.

Our Lord Jesus said that he would be in the grave for 3 days & 3 nights ie 72 hours, however, the Gospel accounts indicate a period of only 37 hours at most.

For 3 days and 3 nights, please read Matt Ch 12 v 40. The 37 hours or thereabouts is arrived at as follows. Read the four Resurrection accounts and you will find that our Lord rose from the dead at around dawn on the first day of the week i.e. 12 hours from the end of the Sabbath, then there are 24 hours during the Sabbath, and may be up to an hour on Friday. In that part of the world, and at that time of the year sunset, and sunrise were close to 6 pm and 6 am. Jesus was on the cross from 9 am to 3 pm. Now read John Ch 19 v 31. There was about 3 hours to take down his body, prepare it for burial, transport same to the tomb, replace the stone, and seal it. I hope this helps you to understand my reasoning.

Allow me to suggest a possible solution.. First of all look at Exodus Ch 12 vs 1-20. and also Leviticus Ch 23 vs 4-8. Now what are the salient points. The Lamb is to be selected on the 10 th day, but not killed until the 14 th day, why 4 days?, answer later on. The Passover continues on into the Feast of unleavened bread which is a feast of 7 days duration, with a Sabbath at each end. Now what does this teach me about the week in which our Lord allowed himself to be killed. That there are 2 Sabbaths in this week, the Sabbaths are at the start, and finish ie the first, and last, the alpha, and omega. Speaking of the Lord God himself. What is leaven but a picture of sin, therefore no leaven indicates no sin, what is the duration of this feast, 7 days, what does 7 indicate, Divine perfection ie no sin.. So the lamb points forward to the time when the Lord God himself, who is sinless will lay down his life during a week which has 2 Sabbaths in it.

Now let us see if the Gospel accounts indicate a 2nd Sabbath that week. Look first at John Ch 19 v 31. "For that Sabbath was a special Sabbath" why special?, could this suggest an additional Sabbath that week, well now look at Matt Ch 28 v 1. Here is a problem as most English translations read Sabbath, but have a look at the Greek text, and you will find that it is a plural noun ie Sabbaths, as is made clear with,

Young's Literal Translation (YNG)

Mat 28:1 And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,  |

Now if we assume that Friday was the other Sabbath, and move the crucifixion back to Thursday, then we have 3 nights, but only some 61 hours, and still not 72 hours, however if you use Divine time measurement, and not human time measurement, ie "There was evening,and there was morning one day" and I can find 3 evenings, and 3 mornings then I will have 3 days. There is Thursday evening, Friday evening, and Saturday evening, Friday morning, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning 3 days.

Now what about that 4 days I mentioned earlier, if our Lord was killed on Thursday, then what day is 4 days earlier?, Palm Sunday of course. The Triumphal Entry and what else was also happening on that same day, every family in the land was choosing the lamb to be killed, and now that Jesus had presented himself to the Leaders of the Nation they had four days in which to examine him to see if there was any blemish, or spot, and when they could find none, kill him.

May the Lord bless you all ,and keep you safe.

Edwin.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I see that some of you are busy trying to figure out what day of the week Jesus was crucified and how to count 3 days and 3 nights.

The solution to this enigma has been debated for 2000 years.

Before you spend too much time on the "solution" answer one question for yourself.

Can you harmonize the timeline of passover events by comparing the synoptic gospels to the gospel according to John?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings rstrats

re: "... of course the solution to the sign of Jonah is found in Ester as I have already pointed out."                                          posted by rstrats

Okay,what letter is missing......the  "a' in Easter or the "h" in Esther ?                   With love in Christ,Kwik

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/30/1956

I agree that it was a Thursday death and two Sabbath days were back to back. I believe though that you are making a mistake concerning your assumption that Jesus did not die on Passover day. He was the Passover lamb and he died on Passover day, but during its daylight period. I think your mistake is misunderstanding the preparation day. The Passover day was simultaneously in the latter daylight hours thereof also designated to prepare for the following day, the 15th, which was always a rest day, a special Sabbath. "For that day was a high day". So Thursday, at the beginning of that day at sunset (Wednesday sunset, beginning of Thursday) the Passover came and he ate the Passover at night as he plainly said they ate it. The next daylight he was crucified, still within the 24 hour period of Passover.

Jesus plainly said he was eating Passover with them. That does not have to be denied if we understand correctly how they kept the Passover. That year Passover fell on a Thursday, (The Passover was not a Sabbath day)  the next day was the 15th of the month special 'Sabbath', making two Sabbaths back to back  [Friday special Sabbath and Saturday normal Sabbath], which is why they had to wait for Sunday to bring the spices.