ljpob

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi. I'm a new member and I'm hoping to find fellow believers who are interested in encouraging and supporting one another in our spiritual journeys. The question I would like to pose is this: Is a belief in Jesus Christ as Messiah the only essential truth for a person to be saved? He said "I am the way, the truth and the life..." (John 14:6), yet when we talk about "truth" it often involves a wide range of doctrinal discussions and interpretations. Is it possible that the "truth" he asks us to believe in is much simpler than we usually make it? If so, where do theology and doctrine and denominational traditions fit into our spiritual process?

A few relevant verses:

"The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” (Acts 16:29-31)

"...Whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

"I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die." (John 11:25)

Interested to hear people's thoughts...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Hello Ljpob, and welcome to Worthy.

IMO we also need to know Jesus just not as the Anointed of God, but also as the Very God.

But we know that that Son of God is come, and hath given us a mind to know Him, which is True, and we are in Him that is True, that is, in that His Son Jesus Christ, the same is the Very God and that Eternal Life.

I John 5:20  Geneva  Bible

We also need to remember that Jesus tells us His Word is Truth.

Sanctify them with thy Truth thy word is Truth.

John 17:17

:thumbsup:

Yes

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

And Amen~!

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

By george, I think you've got it!

All church doctrine should agree with scripture. It should not go beyond what scripture clearly states. And it should place faith in Christs life, death, and resurrection for the sin of mankind at the center of such doctrine.

Welcome,

Willa

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Yep the only way and the only truth.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

When the Bible says that Jesus is the only way to the Father, it's not necessarily saying that we must do this or that or whatever......   It's basically telling us that Jesus Himself decides who does and does not enter the heavenly realm.

He has given us a set of instructions of what he will do for us in certain instances that will pretty much assure that we will enter heaven and be with him.......   but the Word really doesn't put him in a box as to who he does and does not pick.   I think Matthew chapter 25 gives us a small glance as to some of his thoughts, but not in a way that one could bank on it being a way.

So while we can tell people how to be pretty sure they will attain salvation, it's not up to us to decide who does not. 

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings ljpob

Welcome to Worthy.....yes,I believe the truth may seem so difficult  because it it is so simple that it is pure,the pure & simple faith that is like that of a little child.......without reservation..

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

When the Bible says that Jesus is the only way to the Father, it's not necessarily saying that we must do this or that or whatever......   It's basically telling us that Jesus Himself decides who does and does not enter the heavenly realm.

He has given us a set of instructions of what he will do for us in certain instances that will pretty much assure that we will enter heaven and be with him.......   but the Word really doesn't put him in a box as to who he does and does not pick.   I think Matthew chapter 25 gives us a small glance as to some of his thoughts, but not in a way that one could bank on it being a way.

So while we can tell people how to be pretty sure they will attain salvation, it's not up to us to decide who does not. 

I don't think I can agree with the statement that I bolded.  The condition for entering Heaven is whether or not we are "saved."  The choice to be saved is ours; that decision does not come from Jesus.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

Hi. I'm a new member and I'm hoping to find fellow believers who are interested in encouraging and supporting one another in our spiritual journeys. The question I would like to pose is this: Is a belief in Jesus Christ as Messiah the only essential truth for a person to be saved? He said "I am the way, the truth and the life..." (John 14:6), yet when we talk about "truth" it often involves a wide range of doctrinal discussions and interpretations. Is it possible that the "truth" he asks us to believe in is much simpler than we usually make it? If so, where do theology and doctrine and denominational traditions fit into our spiritual process?

A few relevant verses:

"The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” (Acts 16:29-31)

"...Whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

"I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die." (John 11:25)

Interested to hear people's thoughts...

Well, it is the CORE belief, yes.  But that is not all that is required.

Jesus said, "Unless ye believe, ye SHALL die in your sins"

The problem is, what many don't understand is that to BELIEVE means to OBEY.

After all, what sort of idiot person "believes" that the bridge is out, but continues to drive 80MPH towards it?  What sort of fool "believes" that the cool aid will kill them, but willingly drinks it just cause they are a little thirsty?  That is not a "believer" ... that is a fool.  But WE are not counted among such men.  We believe and because we believe, we OBEY.  That is what a believer actually is.  And it is the CORE of our faith.  To believe opens the way for repentance (submission and turning from sin), santification (growing in a sinless life, abandongin the bad things), baptism (of the spirit and of water). 

Believing only doesn't matter if these other elements are found lacking.

Salvation is NOT found in merely believing alone.

If it was, Jahovahs Witnesses, Christeldephians, Mormons, Rasta, and a ton of "religious people" would enter Heaven.  But it is as Jesus said, MANY will actualy TRY to enter, but will not be able to.  Why?  because they preferred to take bits and pieces of what consist of Salvation, instead of the whole pack.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

YES.