Edwin

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

How are we Christians to treat the un converted, in view of how Jesus spoke to Peter, who at that time was also un converted ?

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance [fn] to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

ESV Footnote: (16:23) Greek stumbling block

Thank you.

Edwin.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Treat them with respect and kindness.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

coming from the point of view of ex-atheist, do not as for starters even try to proceed with anything religious per se. At least before you get to learn how the other person feels about things like that, if it's ok go for it, OR if you feel 100% sure God is leading you forward about it, follow the instructions. Even so, being able to discern spirits might be useful. The devil just loves to blow our ministering other people, and the second easiest way to ramble after not ministering at all is to over-minister. If you get to feed them with the gospel in a neutral way, remember to always leave them a bit hungry for more, if you know what I mean. Let us just say, there have more times than I would prefer, when I have come to realize a bit too late that I should already have shut up and let God finish the thing. Just talking about it is not enough.

Does that mean we should wipe our faith under the carpet every time we need someone who's not familiar with Jesus on a personal level? Most certainly not, but do minister with your being, how you are as a person in God, and with your deeds and acts. If people find you somehow different and interesting, as if there is something about you they cannot grasp but feel is what they would like to have or know, then you are doing good job as a minister of God. Even if you had not spoken one single word about the gospel. By the time they really want to know what it is you have, Jesus will get all the credit when sharing your faith.

Because God should not be a dead phrase of man made institution, but the source of that living power within you. This is my view, of course which I would not force feed down anyone's throat, only answering the question being asked here.

We are representatives of Heaven. That alone puts a standard in how we go about our business. It's not that I am a better person than anyone else no matter what they believe, but I do my best to keep Him in my heart, so He keeps me in His. But life situations change, some day we may find ourselves in a position we would never have thought of, and at times it's not even funny. The bright morning star fell, the son of man came to serve and suffer terrible pain for our sins. That alone explains it. Even though we may be proud of having that amazing Father, let us not become ever full of ourselves. God forbid me ever going that way.

Then of course, if you really are on it and the Holy Spirit is breathing down on your neck, let the gates of heaven open. It's not like we should be ashamed of having that amazing God  :biggrinflip:

Probably you will find your own style how to proceed, and most certainly God will soon enough intervene with that to make it sure it's not about formulas. Because He's the God of Creation, not repetition.

Maybe you have something better to deal with this, and I'm all for learning how to serve better.

As the Lord instructed us, pray ceaselessly. And even more so with those you struggle in the darkness. Because in Him there is life, and that life is our light.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

That is a really excellent question....

Matt 5:43-48

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor , and hate your enemy.'  44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you 45 in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax-gatherers do the same? 47 "And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 "Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
NASB

And it's in Red because Jesus said it....

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Treat them with respect and kindness.

Yep....I agree with you on this OakWood.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/21/1945

If there are people who you cannot treat as brothers, at least you can treat them as neighbors. Some people want to go from the other-hood of man to the brotherhood of man and that is just too much of a leap. The neighbor-hood should be sufficient.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

In my early days as a Christian, I took every opportunity to present the Gospel. Most of the time I was understandably rejected. I was not really seeing the other as a person so much. Now I wonder how many friendships I short circuited, offering the opportunity to witness as an outgrowth of friendships.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

How are we Christians to treat the un converted, in view of how Jesus spoke to Peter, who at that time was also un converted ?

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance [fn] to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

ESV Footnote: (16:23) Greek stumbling block

Thank you.

Edwin.

“how are we to treat unbeliever's?” The same way we would like to be treated by others.

Luke 6 :31

Do to others as you would have them do to you.

This particular passage you posted, isn't speaking of sharing the gospel. It is a short and to the point statement to Satan (adversary) . Satan was standing in the way, trying to hinder Jesus from doing what he came to accomplish. “Get behind me” is a way of saying. . . Your in my way. Move out of my way !! Satan had tried this earlier in the wilderness offering an alternative to death on the cross. And here he is again trying to get Jesus to compromise.

Matthew 16:16

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

In the above verse Peter was expressing God's will and at the moment had the things of God in mind. Peter as well as the others did not fully grasp the true purpose of the messiah's coming. As Peter listened to what Jesus was saying about his mission, his mind drifted back on human thoughts and ideals of this world. His own plans and ambitions. Unwittingly setting himself up to be Satan's mouthpiece. Jesus' rebuke was aimed at the real source of Peter's thoughts. The rebuke also served to bring Peter's focus which was now off track. . . back onto the things of God.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Now there have been people who have not been so nice.I am not a doormat.I will tell them so.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I treat them as I treat anyone else. Like how I would want to be treated. I come across them more then I do fellow  Christians. If they like me and think I am cool to hang out with, then great. If not then whatever. I have never only had Christian friends. In fact finding a Christian friend is a rare thing for me. So far in my whole life I have only had maybe 2 friends that were Christians. They are just hard to find. Then they have to like me as well. And sometimes I am just too weird for people.