• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

How are we Christians to treat the un converted, in view of how Jesus spoke to Peter, who at that time was also un converted ?

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance [fn] to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

ESV Footnote: (16:23) Greek stumbling block

Thank you.

Edwin.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

How did Jesus talk to sinners?  Well, there is your answer.  He was tender and caring and careful and truthful with them.  His harshest words, however, were reserved for those who DISTORTED THE TRUTH (such as Pharisees, and yes, even Peter who was well-meaning, but wrong).  Religious people Jesus was very harsh with.  People who distorted the Truth, He was very harsh with.  But the common folk, and especially those who were seeking and hurting, He was very gentle with.

And with those who were on the right path, He would simply admonish and encourage them to do better, and believe deeper.

Guest Butero

I am friendly to them.  Why wouldn't I be?  It is not like we are to go about looking for all their faults and jumping on them for them.  They are sinners, so they will naturally sin.  They need the message of the gospel, and if they are not interested, so be it.  Beating them up won't cause them to convert. 

Peter is an interesting example.  Jesus didn't rebuke Peter for being unconverted.  Jesus simply pointed out that the statement Peter had made showed he was in the wrong spirit.  He was rebuking the spirit behind the statement, not attacking Peter personally.  He didn't say, "Get thee behind me Peter."  He said, "Get thee behind me Satan."  The devil was speaking through Peter, because he didn't want Jesus to fulfil his mission. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

I must say that it is beyond me how one would think that Peter was unconverted in Mat 16. How we treat others depends on the others, the situation, and above all, the leading of the Spirit. We recall how the Lord Jesus treated the Pharisees, like Woe to you, scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites. And we recall how he treated others in different situations; how He said, "Come unto me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Of course we are to love neighbor as self. "Who is wise and understanding among you? let him show by his good life his works in meekness of wisdom. " "Moreover he must have good testimony from them that are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." Wisdom requires praying and trusting the Lord for wisdom. Now for $64,000, tell me how I can remember to do that before I shoot from the hip?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

We must first see unbelievers as God does. They are lost, futile in their own imaginations. They are those for whom Jesus died. For God so loved the world---. He traded the life of His own Son for them. So we pray for them and ask God for an opportunity to share the gospel with them. We love them with the love of the Lord.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Love them.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  408
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

First of all, treat them the way Christ will treat them. Loving them, staying humble towards them, and having much compassion. Most important of all, do not be quick to judge.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

How are we Christians to treat the un converted, in view of how Jesus spoke to Peter, who at that time was also un converted ?

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance [fn] to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

ESV Footnote: (16:23) Greek stumbling block

Thank you.

Edwin.

You are to love them. Be the first to help them. Be patient, understanding, meek, and humble.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

IT is wrong to say that Peter was 'unconverted' when Jesus spoke to him. He was following Jesus. Sure he didn't understand everything at that point, but he left everything to follow Jesus. Hard to think of many today that show the same commitment level to Jesus, so using that passage as a basis to treat 'non-Christians' is entirely wrong.

As has been pointed out, we should 'love our enemies', which are often the non-believers.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Tell me Hashe.

How much love is Jesus showing to Peter when he said to him, "Get behind me, Satan!

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance [fn] to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on

the things of man."

Would you say that to anyone?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Jude: "20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the LOVE of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And on some have MERCY, who are in doubt; 23 and some save, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. " Titus 1 "10   For there are many unruly men, vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision, 11 whose mouths must be stopped;" 2 Cor 5 14 For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that one died for all, therefore all died; 15 and he died for all, that they that live should no longer live unto themselves, but unto him who for their sakes died and rose again. 16 Wherefore we henceforth KNOW NO MAN AFTER THE FLESH;[b/]