• Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

John Chapter 1

In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God, and the
Word was God.

In the beginning
The beginning, is the starting point.
In the beginning is the starting point to...what?
In the beginning(the starting point to...what?)was the Word?

and the Word was with God.
"was" is past tense. True or false?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

The language is describing how the situation was at a definite time in the past, but I don't think it implies that the condition is no longer true.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

To find out what 'beginning' means in the context of these verses, you need to include additional verses.

He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

The Word, we find out is a 'He'. And He pre-existed, meaning He was, before anything was made/created. He was so instrumental in creation that without Him, nothing was made. Strangely, the wording indicates that absolutely nothing was created/made without being made through the Word/Him. That means that He was not made, as nothing was made without Him.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03

Time frame.

In the beginning.

At the time of the beginning God the Word was already with God.

Interesting trinitarian snapshot of that point in history...

Isaiah 44:24 (KJV)
24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

YHVH our Redeemer is interesting in and of itself. The Father did not redeem us. The Father is the one to whom the redemption price was paid. The Spirit did not redeem us having never taken upon himself flesh and blood and sacrificed the same to appease the wrath of the Father. Only the Son. And this preincarnate YHVH our Redeemer is the YHVH that makes all things (including heaven "alone" and  earth "by myself"). 

This does not infer that he was by himself alone not in the presence of anyone else as the modalists (oneness types) claim, but rather that he (God the Word) acted alone... the scripture is very clear that he was in the presence of God (John 1:1) and specifically God the Father (1 John 1:2) and God the Spirit (Genesis 1:2).

The blessed holy Trinity.

And Hebrews 1:2 is merely stating that the one  in the Godhead who created all things was the one who became the Son in the incarnation.

• Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03

I would also caution the OP not to place too much emphasis on linguistics (which only proven to be the imperfect human language).

I could use the word "was" to mean past present and future...

"What WAS the question?"

What was the question

What is the question

What will remain the question until answered

All encapsulated by the word "was."

The beginning of what?

The beginning of the physical realm.

The spirit realm was already in existence when the physical realm was created. 

Job 38:4-7 (KJV)
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

How could the sons of God (angels) shout for joy if they were not already existing?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Reading all of John 1, you will find the answer about who the Word is. Stopping at the first verse, and not considering the rest, is not good hermeneutics or exegesis.

John 1:14-18

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”

And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

By taking this explanation, you can see that the Word spoken of in John 1:1 is Jesus the Christ.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

John Chapter 1

Word was God.

In the beginning

Was, is referring to "in the beginning", or a past event in time. This does not mean that He is not with God now, only that in the beginning, He was with God. Jesus, as the Father and the Holy Spirit, have no beginning or an end.

Do you accept the doctrine of the Trinity?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

John Chapter 1

Word was God.

In the beginning

Phil 2:4-8

5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God , did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

NASB

Jesus has always been with the Father.....    Prior to his birth in the Flesh he was in the form of God....     He was with God  (Speaking of the Father)    We call all three of them God which kind of confuses a lot of conversations.

Jesus was in the form of God during the old testament days and is the God in the Old Tastament that Moses, Aaron and 72 other people saw....

Since Jesus tells us that no one has ever seen the Father, the God of Israel in Moses days could not have been the Father

We are also told that all things come from the Father, but they came through Jesus....    Pretty much says that Jesus and the Father worked hand in hand to create the universe and everything in it.

Jesus asked the Father if he would give him back the glory he had before.

So yes, Jesus was with the Father, but as a human was not physically with the Father, but ascended to the Father after his resurrection...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Yes, Jesus was called the Word before being born as a human. He now has ascended back to His throne at the right hand of Father God. In the Revelation He is called One like the Son of Man, the Alpha and Omega [the beginning and the end] and the Lamb as though it had been slain. Jesus also called Himself the I AM, the same as Who spoke out Moses' burning bush. This is called a "state of being". He simply IS. In fact He said "Before Abraham was, I AM, to help them understand His eternal existance. Our God is an awesome God.

Guest DRS81

John Chapter 1

Word was God.

In the beginning

Jesus is the Word, and Jesus resurrected makes the Word future tense and eternal tense. In the beginning is the starting point to defining who God is, which is Jesus Christ. Blessings.