oak

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

The discussions taking place about God's Soverign nature has specific roots in Romans 10-24, the scriptures point to us being pottery made by God, some shaped for dishonor (the damned) some for honor (the saved). With this in mind, we are reminded that if we're not happy with ourselves according to God's election (being just pottery), we have no right to talk back because this is the will of the all knowing God. These scriptures may indicate that we have no free will, that everything is done by God.  Lets take a look:

Romans 9:10-24 (ESV)
10 And not only so, but also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of him who calls— 12 she was told, “The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” 14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[a] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. 19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

Many Bibles now have "Center (or perhaps differently in your Bible) Column Cross Reference System" for most every verse. These are for the most part additional scriptures cited by Bible scholars (Oxford and Cambridge Universities - in the Bible I use) from many years ago, to actively expand on the meaning of a verse. They remind us that the Bible is linked together as a whole, complete work that can prompt you to go into even a deeper search for yourself. It's a magnificient work. Let's use this aid to further our understanding together.

I put in bold certain verses for two purposes: 1) I don't want to make this a term paper 2) You can continue the search without me. Also, I used Italic when commenting on the reference scripture:

Verse 14:
Deuteronomy 32:4: "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."
2 Chronicles 19:7: Now then, let the fear of the Lord be upon you. Be careful what you do, for there is no injustice with the Lord our God, or partiality or taking bribes.”
Job 8:3: Does God pervert justice? Or does the Almighty pervert the right?
Job 34:10: "So listen to me, you men of understanding. Far be it from God to do evil, from the Almighty to do wrong.
Psalm 92:15 "to declare that the Lord is upright; he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.

Perhaps you  may disagree, but the reference verses underline the fact that God is not evil nor does He use evil for His purposes.

Verse 19:
2 Chronicles 20:6: "...and said, “O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might, so that
none is able to withstand you.
Job 9:12 12 Behold, he snatches away; who can turn him back? Who will say to him, ‘What are you doing?’
*Daniel 4:35: all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”

Very important point for someone taking note of the sum of the verses. God is speaking to kings: Jacob who is the spiritual king and Pharaoh, an earthly king. But in a larger sense to all human kings (in the Bible the only king who was not assigned kingship is the anti-Christ), who presently have turned their attention to destroying the family unit and Christianity, by legislating things like homosexuality, pedophilia, etc. As much as they may think their actions are independent of God, they will have to answer to Him on that account. *Daniel 4:35, is King Nebuchadnezzar's words to God, when his sanity was restored. Also, this speaks to people in terms of dealing with their own authority (children, jobs, etc.) and human authority over all.

Verse 20:
Job 33:13 - Why do you contend against him, saying, ‘He will answer none of man's words’?
Isaiah 29:16 - "You turn things upside down! Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say of its maker, “He did not make me”; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, “He has no understanding”?
Isaiah 45:9 9 “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’?  I declare what is right."

These verses bring to light words like "contend, no understanding, strives." We all have questions that contend, do not understand, strive to protest the Word of God. Why were the chosen people rejected? Why are millions perishing from abortions? These are often asked in the spirit of rebellion. More deeply, we all have questions within ourselves that prevent us to fully come to Christ. Why was I humiliated, abused or suffer the loss of limb, eyesight, calm spirit and on and on. Striving and contending will never work, stop! You have to make peace within yourself though it's very hard. I still cry out, "why me?"  I have done nothing to deserve this punishment. Acceptance can be a very hard path. Please pray for yourselves and others. 

Love,

Oak

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I tried to simplify the post but then again that may be offensive to some people.