• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Bible Critic Says Jesus Isn't God, Stephen Colbert Leaves Him Speechless

By Jared Freeman

April 17, 2014 | 4:31 pm

... Stephen Colbert, heir to David Letterman's chair on "The Late Show," openly talks about his Catholic faith. It's a surprise to those who know the comedian only as the satirical conservative host of "The Colbert Report."

In this April 2009 episode on Maundy Thursday, Colbert hosted Bart Ehrman, a prominent New Testament scholar and biblical critic.

As Ehrman points out contradictions he's found in the Bible, notably in the crucifixion of Jesus, Colbert takes him to task in his usual acerbic tone. But under the caricature, Colbert presents the divinity of Christ in ways that leave Ehrman at a loss for words.

Click here

(interview Video)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Pretty humorous, God is an elephant, but I get his point.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

:24:  Awesome. I never watch Colbert but this is hilarious.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Thanks for sharing Nebula, IMO Colbert won hands down, but i am very bias.

:thumbsup:

:24: :24: :24:

~

Matthew

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. Matthew 16:16

Mark

The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; Mark 1:1

Luke

And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35

John

And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God. John 1:32-24

~

My God

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Matthew 27-46

My God

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Mark 15:34

Why....

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head saying,

He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.
I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard. Psalms 22:1-24

~

He Is Risen~!

Hallelujah~!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shiloh357

Bible Critic Says Jesus Isn't God, Stephen Colbert Leaves Him Speechless

By Jared Freeman

April 17, 2014 | 4:31 pm

... Stephen Colbert, heir to David Letterman's chair on "The Late Show," openly talks about his Catholic faith. It's a surprise to those who know the comedian only as the satirical conservative host of "The Colbert Report."

In this April 2009 episode on Maundy Thursday, Colbert hosted Bart Ehrman, a prominent New Testament scholar and biblical critic.

As Ehrman points out contradictions he's found in the Bible, notably in the crucifixion of Jesus, Colbert takes him to task in his usual acerbic tone. But under the caricature, Colbert presents the divinity of Christ in ways that leave Ehrman at a loss for words.

Click here

(interview Video)

Steven Colbert did not leave Ehrman at a loss for words.   It was theatre. That was a a scripted segment and Colbert had to win the argument to make it a funny segment.  Had that been an actual debate, Ehrman would have had wiped the floor with Colbert.   I don't agree with much of anythin Ehrman says, but he is not to be underestimated. He has had a myriad of debates and he let Colbert "win" the argument for the sake of the show and letting Colbert make his jokes.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/27/1984

^Oh come on do you really believe that? 

He went on to plug his book.  Would he really allow Colbert to win, losing all credibility and hurting book sales if it was scripted?

Edited by anthonyjmcgirr

Guest shiloh357

He went on to plug his book.  Would he really allow Colbert to win, losing all credibility and hurting book sales if it was scripted?

Yes he would and he did.  But it didn't hurt book sales.   Keep in mind that the above appearance on the Colbert show,  was over five years ago.  This was not a recent event.  Ehrman's books sales have not been hurt one bit.  He is even getting air time on the History Channel.  Anyone can tell that it was a scripted segment and Ehrman was just going along to make sure that Colbert was funny. 

Steven Colbert didn't offer up anything close to a substantive argument.  He was a comedically scripted segment and Ehrman politely played along.  I have seen Ehrman debate and if this had been a serious appearance in a seriious format, Colbert would not have stood a chance.  Only a seasoned scholar of Scripture would have any real chance of mounting a real challenge to Ehrman. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

Wow, you don't watch Colbert do you? Ever heard of Poe's Law?

Edited by jerryR34