• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Oak stated:

I see your point and your feelings about me being foolish. Of course by my own exertions I can not receive faith - and thereby live in spirit - by works, law or flesh. But I feel that we need to be awake to our spiritual state.

That is receiving the gift of Salvation from Christ, we should honestly look at how aligned we are with Christ's commandments. For I believe you can fall asleep in the faith and you can wrongly be living your life in addictions, putting worldly things above Christ etc. "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves that is Jesus Christ is in you? -unless you indeed you fail to meet the test." 1 Cor. 13:5 We can pray to God for more faith, wisdom, and other good things. Further, the Galatians received the gift of the Holy Spirit but were reproached by Paul, "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the Grace of Christ are turning to a different gospel." Gal 1:6. By many peoples understanding neither the Galatians nor even Peter should be corrected after receiving the free Gift.

The best thing that can be said is that Pastor Kevin and I are saying the same thing in different ways. However his article does not ring true to me, almost point by point.

Oak

What has me the most puzzled here is that you are focusing on an aside that has nothing to do with the point of the article.

Your focus has to do with our lives here on earth.

The article is focusing on our lives in eternity.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  246
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/09/1974

Heaven’s Important, But It’s Not the End of the World

20 April 2014

As a pastor, I’ve talked to many people who, when faced with the loss of a loved one, try to find consolation in the thought of their dearly departed’s soul at rest among the clouds in heaven. The image often includes a harp, a halo, some wings, and a choir’s steady chorus of Kumbaya. I’ve never found much comfort in this image, and doubt that anyone who has actually endured a choir practice would find much excitement in an eternity of it.

<snip>

Whether we admit our need or not, we know that something in us just doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to. We can’t simply keep spouting the hollow platitude that death is a natural part of living. The reason death feels wrong is that, according to the Bible, it is.  Death is the enemy. But Easter makes an amazing claim. Yes, death is the enemy, but in Christ it is a defeated enemy. As astounding as it seems to say, as outlandish as it is to hear, a bodily resurrection awaits.

And this means that ultimately heaven is not our home. Instead, the Bible points Christians beyond it to a recreated, healed heavens and earth, the culmination of our regular prayer for God’s will to be done ‘on earth as it is in heaven.’ At the final consummation of God’s Kingdom, these two places—heaven and earth—will be one and the same. God’s dwelling place will be with men (Revelation 21:2-3). A groaning creation, we’re told, awaits this day of liberation (Romans 8:19-21). Creation doesn’t long to be done away with, vaporized, replaced. It longs to be redeemed. So do we. We long for what Tolkien called ‘everything sad coming untrue’ and Lewis called ‘heaven working backward.’ The world doesn’t work the way it should. We don’t work the way we should. But one day, by God’s grace, we will.

And so the hope of Easter is the hope of living physically before the face of God, sustained by him for all eternity. ...

Read the full article here

A pastor?

My father is an Ordained Minister, so he is approved to marry, dedicate babies, bury the dead, or marry people.  He is also Reverend (powerful title, but his least favorite) and Pastor.  In fact, he was assistant to the Bishop and Overseer and was next in line.

When I first began showing interest, and working with Liberty Baptist University (no longer "Baptist") back in 2002, I was interested in entering the Doctorate in biblical Studies (which had a heavy focus on Hebrew and Greek Scriptures).  My father couldn't understand why I'd want that but NOT want to preach, bury people, dedicate babies, marry ppl, etc.  Well, I guess it's just not my calling.  I don't want to be behind a pulpit.  But one on one settings, I'd talk about God (or in most cases, listen as the other person rambles on and on and on) for hours.  Still no desire to be a preacher.

"Do not all strive to be masters, for you WILL experience a greater judgment." - James

I've had people at my Church tell my wife that I should be in certain lifegroups because I'm too advanced.  HOGWASH!  lol  I'm there because I want to be.  They are all open enrollment and I want to be there, and while I don't get much out of milk, and desire meatier things, I don't think I'm "too advanced".

But, one thing I have expereinced ... is a lot of funerals.  Decendant of an American.  But born and raised on a British Territories Island called "Bermuda".  Very small.  Friends and family are very close because of the close proximity that we live to each other (unlike me and my family who live in Chicago or California - the distance keeps us from being close).  So, when a friend or a loved one dies ... we feel it to our heart.

Lost about 9 friends before I was even 28 years old.  Can't recall how many family members.  But I do recall the tears.  I do recall the heartaches.  I do recall the viewings and the wakes. I do recall the pain.  I also recall some of the preachers who said the dead person was in Heaven, and I wanted to stone the pastor for lies, knowing that the dead person was no saint and didn't know God.  I DESPISE preachers who default to Heaven just because they dont' want to offend.  May God Judge them severely, and without pity or mercy, for their lies!  Even now, I can still see some of the faces of friends and loved ones.  Timeless.  Stuck on images that are more than 25 years old for some of them.  "Boys" are what I consider their age to be nowadays.

For me, Heaven IS the final resting place.  Add the new earth in it if you wish.  But the Kingdom of God is the final resting place.