• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1983

Even though it may be hard to do, I think that min wage should be different for every state or county even. For some places if you make min wage, you can afford the cost of living because it isnt very expensive. Other places if you make min wage, you can even come up with enough money for a 1 bedroom apartment! I think min wage should parallel with the cost of living. My husband makes $8.00 an hour. Let me tell you, that doenst cut it for a family of 3. I tried to get help through the state so that I could go to work and my husband could work, but I would need to put my son in daycare. If they were to pay for daycare part time while I am at work part time, I would have to still pay out more money than I would make. The state doesnt help the "woking poor" very much. Its sad. You have those who are not willing to work at all and they fork all the money over to them.. or those who have drug or alcohol problems so that their addiction can be supported! It drives me nuts! Okay.. before I go off on a wild tangent ill just restate... YES!!! min wage does need to be raised!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

what each and every one of us need to do is to build and maintain a budget.

we need to rid ourselves of our personal debt ( which the Bible tells us we are not to be in debt to others ).

for example:

if a person was to obtain a brand new credit card today, and go and charge just $800.00 on it, thats all, just eight hundred dollars, which is not much, and then proceed to pay only the minimum payment on the debt, it will take 15 ( fifteen)years to bring that credit card balance back to zero..... fifteen years folks.....

if a person was to buy a house and close on it today, with a thirty year mortgage, and tomorrow pay one full payment ahead, and then make the first payment on schedule and keep every other payment on time, that the house would be paid off in 25 years instead of 30 years.

Medical debt is a different thing then credit card and other personal debts, most medical debts do not grow interest.

maintaining a budget to live with in our means is not unheard of.

as i have mentioned before, we are on the verge of getting ours to 200 dollars a week ( for 800 dollars a month ) and then there will be 4 months where there is an extra 200 dollars ( for 800 dollars extra a year ).

our house payment is now at 275 a month, the original was 450 a month, and then 325, and then was 285 paid it off in 5 years, had to mortgage it to clear the rest of the debt, and started out with a new payment of 375, and then refinanced it and got it to 275..... we have currently made approx 1.5 years worth of extra payments, all going towards principle..... we are schedualling to have it paid off in about three more years. and at this point in time, our monthly expendatures will be about 150 for gass, 100 for electric, 40 for water, trash and sewer, and 200for gas for the car and about 200 a month for food. will have about 60 a month for auto insurance ( full coverage on two vehicles ) and that would be about it.

living with a budget is not hard...

mike

what each and every one of us need to do is to build and maintain a budget.

we need to rid ourselves of our personal debt ( which the Bible tells us we are not to be in debt to others ).

for example:

if a person was to obtain a brand new credit card today, and go and charge just $800.00 on it, thats all, just eight hundred dollars, which is not much, and then proceed to pay only the minimum payment on the debt, it will take 15 ( fifteen)years to bring that credit card balance back to zero..... fifteen years folks.....

if a person was to buy a house and close on it today, with a thirty year mortgage, and tomorrow pay one full payment ahead, and then make the first payment on schedule and keep every other payment on time, that the house would be paid off in 25 years instead of 30 years.

Medical debt is a different thing then credit card and other personal debts,  most medical debts do not grow interest.

maintaining a budget to live with in our means is not unheard of.

as i have mentioned before, we are on the verge of getting ours to 200 dollars a week ( for 800 dollars a month ) and then there will be 4 months where there is an extra 200 dollars ( for 800 dollars extra a year ).

our house payment is now at 275 a month,  the original was 450 a month, and then 325,  and then was 285  paid it off in 5 years, had to mortgage it to clear the rest of the debt, and started out with a new payment of 375, and then refinanced it and got it to 275..... we have currently made approx 1.5 years worth of extra payments, all going towards principle..... we are schedualling to have it paid off in about three more years.  and at this point in time, our monthly expendatures will be  about 150 for gass, 100 for electric, 40 for water, trash and sewer, and 200for gas for the car and about 200 a month for food. will have about 60 a month for auto insurance ( full coverage on two vehicles ) and that would be about it.

living with a budget is not hard...

mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! your bills go over what my house hold brings in! :emot-hug: we have a budge also. we pay 405 dollars a month for LOT RENT ON A TRAILER!!! and yes its one of the cheapest around here.. 125 for mortgage, add Gas, about 100 a month, electric is around 50, phone is about 60, insurance for car is 150 cuz hubby is bad driver, gas for car is around 200 cuz i commute to school and hubby to work... thats 1090 a month. Hubby brings in $8.00 an hour.. if he is lucky he will get 40 hours a week. Thats 1280 before taxes... minus the taxes and we are pretty close to that 1090.. oh, and we havent eaten yet!! and do you see we have no medical insurance? I didnt include tv and internet cuz those are extras but still, no money to pay for it! And you need to buy clothes in there sometime. Not for me and hubby, but for growing baby (he is 15 months). and all those weeks where hubby doesnt get 40 hours, how do we survive? credit card of course! We have no other way to pay for things. Then we get stuck paying the min payment, IF we can afford it!

Im not trying to say that a budget is bad.. its not! It helps to see where all your money is going. but it sure doesnt solve everything! There should be more help out there for those who need it (like me! lol)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/24/1945

Mr & Mrs Mike Irish: "It is their choice!"

Your anecdotal evidence I will not dispute. I will say however that anybody who is working on minimum or near minimum wage and enjoys the amenities that you describe is probably selling drugs or something worse. Those things are insupportable on the wages that I am talking here.

The Working poor have a choice I think not, Please read on and I will tell you why.

Please excuse any typos

First off Friend: Shiloh357

Though we disagree on the topic at hand--

I must congratulate you on your web site. It is very impressive. It proves a work of singular and focused dedication and is a massive resource to your most cherished cause.

35531 Hits! That is very impressive. It will go in my resource list for this subject.

Yet I must respond to your latest post.

You quote me

there have been times i could not afford INTERNET, so i did not have internet, there were times i could not afford phone, so i did not have phone, there were times i could not afford auto insurance, so i did not drive.....

shelter and food come before pleasure here.....

when times get tight, luxuries go by the way side...... that includes excess trips to the store ( seen some people going to the store every day , we perfer once a month, but is more like once a week )

why raise minimum wage? why not get those that are capible of working off of their lazy back sides and off of government aide for a life time and back in the work force, this would keep your tax dollars from supporting them fully....

the ones that need assistance can not get it due to those that know how to work the system are stealing it.....

there are some i know of that are totally disabled and unable to get assistance, while others got their disability check coming in and they are working for cash...

that is theft....

or those that are getting assistance with rent ( hud ) and when they leave a house they trash it out for one reason or other, and then the owners do not want to rent to hud anymore..... why? cause it cost more to fix the house to meet hud standards after a hud person moved out then what they received in rent..... sorry, no hud here....... and most of the landlords/owners here will not accept hud because of that reason.... their houses meet the standards, but because those that usually have it mis use it....

as was stated before several times, if you are not making enough, then do something about it, approach your employer, get involved in the community and get the no loads off of the much needed assistance... that is what it is for, assistance, not support..... if you know of those that are dealing drugs, then you are responsible for the ones they are harming..... the ones i know of, are turned in to get them off the street and out of the "assistance" programs..... one guy was disabled, receiving disabled check, and selling drugs, he got busted 5 times before they pulled his disability... guess what, now he mows lawns for a living with out any assistance.

if you allow it to go on, you are condoning it.

mike

tell you what,

if you wish to be bitter all your life and complain about everything that goes against what you think you want, you will never go far.....

here is a story about a man that had everything that life had to offer, he was one of the wealthiest men if not The Most wealthy. He had everything going for him. annd one day, out of the blue, his life wwas turned upside down.... he lost everything he had, every bit of wealth and every member of his family, except his contentious wife...... with all this even his friends turned on him....

this man could have grumbled the rest of his life, but he didnt, he did mourn for a while, and then he pushed it aside and stepped out of his situation and moved forward, did he blame the government? no, did he blame God? no, his wife told him he ought to curse God for doing this to him, but he didnt......

after all was said and done, this man became even more wealthy then before, and his family grew again and this man received more blessings then ever....

we are topraise God thru all things.....it isnt going to do a bit of good to sit around and grumble about what you have and dont have, what you are earning or not earning......

YOU ALONE HAVE THE POWER TO STEP OUT. I can not do it for you.

if God calls you to do something, then do it, or it wont get done by you....

if you grumble about not making the exact amoundt of money you need, then you never will make what you think you need..... if you do not thank God for what you have, then you may not have much more, andcould have even less.....

do you think, really think that God will bless me if I am constantly complaining about the situation i am in? I dont think so..... the fruit I am producing when i complain isn ot good fruit, not is it lasting fruit.....

this house does not belong to me, nor does the truck i drive, or the cloths i wear, they belong to God and are to be used for His Glory, not mine. if tomorrow i am on the street and God has some one else as caretaker of this house, then so be it, God gave itto me, God own it, God can give it to some one else.....

I thank God for everything I am, for with out God i would be nothing, I thank Him for all we have, for with out Him we would have nothing.....

I can make excusses, but excusses will not find me better work, my personal actions will... i can look for better pay or better work conditions, that is what I did, and now i am totally happpy with my work, some days are slow, some I am covered up. but I am content with what the Lord has given me.

mike

wow... you make it seem like me and my family are horrible people or something because we dont make a lot of money. I am a college student. Trying to get a degree so I can get a good job. My hubby has a college degree and still cant get a good job. If someone were to offer me a job right now I would take it. I have been applying at 3-5 places every day for like the last 3 weeks. Still no call backs. My hubby has been looking for an accounting jo b for the last 2 years or so... still nothing!!!!!! So what should the state do for those who are working low paying jobs... or those who are search for jobs with no luck? Just forget about them? Hubby would go back to school for his masters degree to try and improve his chanes of getting a high paying job but guess what? Financial aid doesnt cover it!!! So it cant happen.

WHat kind of work is it that you do??? Do you have any openings where you work? Offer me or my hubby a decent paying job and ill move to where you are and gladly accept it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  226
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/24/1945

Yoh! Friends:

Faith 23,

if you ( or your husband ) are unable to locate a job with in your trained field, then maybe that field is saturated. I am not disputing a person that says they can not find a job in thier field. there are some that have had to take jobs that are not in their field either as stepping stones or as a carreer change. my trained professions are ( in order of coming by them ) Library aide, driver/forklift operator, communications in the Navy ( which that field no longer exsist as it once did with morse code and teletypes and such ), farm work ( mushroom farm ), substitute teacher, warehouseman, plumber, plumbing/heating /airconditioning/carpentry and appliance repair ( depending on what time of year and what the market needs at any given time ( self employed )

I currently have well over 200 college credit hours behind me, and am working on more. in July of 1997, i returned to school, working full time in the ware house ( 36 hours ) and part time plumbing ( 24 hours a wk ) and then a full load in school ( 12 credit hours for five terms in one year ) and in july of 1998 walked away with 60 more credit hours, one year later, left the ware house which i was receiving over 13 an hour to go full time self employeed..... I had a vission, and i was willing to step out and take the chance. my wife is now currently enrolled for her third term in college going full time and working full time while i am working full time, and taking one class this term, she is taking 5..... my eldest son is a Sr. in High School, has already completed college algebra and college trig, and is working on Calculous.....

what is your dream? what is your vission?

mine? in three years, the house and van will be paid off, and i should have most if not all the courses i need to hit the mission field with my wife, will sell this house, or better yet, rent it out and use the monies to support our mission ministry.

with in the next term or so, i will be taking an accounting and book keeping course so i can keep my books a bit better ( i hate paper work, but have so much enjoyed not punching a time clock, that i will do the paper work.

I do wish you the best, some times we do need to look out side our comfort zone, and out side the area in which we received our training......

oh yea, i did not retire from the Navy, i put in 16 years, and took early out. my field was booked solid, and i was unable to switch to a more open field that i was fully qualified in, the field i was in was advancing less then 1 % to the next higher rank, and when you have several thousand that still does not leave many getting advanced, the field i was qualified in was advancing everyone but i did not have permission to switch. I was also cutting high scores on the exams and carrying high evaluations. so being i was not able to get any further, i looked elsewhere for ways to better my life and better my family.

I even mowed lawns for a while, and made good money.

a thought that might help out also, is if a person is a student, and needing some time to study, and also sleep while earning some extra cash or even moderately part time work , they might look into home health care. there are some that have 24 hour care, ( those have to stay awake at night ) then there is what is called live in ( they are there for 12 hours, but get 6 hours sleep )....

there are many job opportunities out there, but we can not limit what we are willing to do.....

by the way, just a small tid bit of information................... this might help a lot.

in 1994, a company i know was doing a mass hiring ( like they was looking to hire about 400 people with in about three months )..... every one that turned in an application was told that they would call them............. my nepher and my brother in law both went and dropped apps....... about two weeks later, my nephew asked me when they were going to call them back in for an interview...... i informed him that if he wanted an interview he would have to call them. for they were not calling anyone......

reason????

the majority of the people dropping apps, were doing it for Unemployment.

my nephew called back, had an interview with in a few days and was hired.... he is stil lthere now and making about 15 an hour.

most companies will not call you back, you have to make the call...

a young lady friend of mine, her sister was looking for a job, while she was in school, she went to Pizza hut evry week, and filled out a new application, this pizza hut was not hiring at all....... they hired her finally, because they got tired of her coming in and bothering them.....with in a short time, she was the night assistant manager.

I hired on with a company when i got out of the Navy, this company had a sign on the door ' NOT ACCEPTING ANY APPLICATIONS " I asked a guy if he knew of anyone hiring on, and well, i was on the clock before i filled out my application for employement......

I do wish you well.

I hope that this does help some

mike

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

Forgive me for not sticking it out with you Eadora. I had not the stomach to deal with those who, in their own minds, are never wrong. I am quite impressed with your resiliance and stamina in the face of such strongly opposing views. I wish I could have helped you to speak out for those being left behind.

I am sure you would agree they are being left behind. All I can hear from your opponants is " maybe they should pick up the pace" . You say "but they have no shoes". Your opponants say" they should have thought of that when they left the house". You say " they had to sell their shoes to feed their family". Your opponants would say "That was dumb, they should have sold their shirt instead".

I am sorry but the lack of humility, compassion and charity by those who rebuke you simply astounds me.

I pray Jesus that you will go unto my brothers and sisters and lighten their hearts that they may find room enough for those who do not meet their standards.

Your loving brother in Christ Jesus.

Joly