• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all my brothers and sisters in Jesus The Messiah,

Is Xmas Jesus's birthday or a pagan holiday?

Here's links about Xmas being a pagan holiday:

http://rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Letter/v5n1-3.htm

http://www.locksley.com/6696/xmas.htm

Jeremiah 10

1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

6Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.

7Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.

8But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.

Could The Holy Spirit through Jeremiah be talking about a Xmas tree?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest homesteader

Christmas is the birth of Christ our Lord and Savior; it makes no difference what day he was actually born know one really knows. The fact someone else celebrates something on December 25 should not make any difference. We just need to remember the reason for the season.

In His Name

Homesteader

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/02/1983

Well, I say its neither! I know that sounds bad... Well we all know that some chritmas traditions are from the pagans: the tree, some of the songs, etc. But most pagans dont celebrate Christmas. They celebrate Yule. So really, Christmas isnt a pagan holiday. And as for it being Jesus birth, I have been told by bible scholars that he wasn't born in the winter. This day was just when people decided to start celebrating his birth. And you know what? Its nice to have one special day to do that, but in all reality we should be celebrating his birth every day! :emot-hug:

Well, I say its neither! I know that sounds bad... Well we all know that some chritmas traditions are from the pagans: the tree, some of the songs, etc. But most pagans dont celebrate Christmas. They celebrate Yule. So really, Christmas isnt a pagan holiday. And as for it being Jesus birth, I have been told by bible scholars that he wasn't born in the winter. This day was just when people decided to start celebrating his birth. And you know what? Its nice to have one special day to do that, but in all reality we should be celebrating his birth every day!

Hi,Shiloh,

I think that The Holy Spirit through Jeremiah is talking about a Xmas tree. God would not lie because Numbers 20:19 says,

God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good? God could have been talking about the Xmas tree at the beginning of the chapter then later in the chapter God talks about idols. When God talks about a tree God dosen't mean an idol.

Ultra-conservative Christians do not celebrate Xmas:

Guest shiloh357
Hi,Shiloh,

I think that The Holy Spirit through Jeremiah is talking about a Xmas tree. God would not lie because Numbers 20:19 says,

But there is evidence that people had Xmas trees before Jesus The Messiah's birth such as in this link:Xmas customs and tree before Jesus The Messiah's birthdayJesus nor the apostles neve commanded to celebrate Jesus's birthday but celebrate His graceful act of washing away our sins by celebrating The Lord's Supper

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. I have to get of the computer but I'll be back on around 2 hours and 30 miniutes.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Bibleboy,

How did you come up with this question?

]You know Shiloh knows the OT very well and I agree with him for 100% that God is not talking about the Christmas tree in the book of Jeremiah.

You cannot read things which are not there.....

Angels :emot-hug:

Guest shiloh357

The issue is whether or not Jeremiah 10 is referring to a Christmas tree.

God could have been talking about the Xmas tree at the beginning of the chapter then later in the chapter God talks about idols. When God talks about a tree God dosen't mean an idol.

The word for "tree" is "Aytz." As it is used in THIS passage (Jer.10:1-9) it is used as "wood" and not as "tree." "Aytz" is used interchangeably in Hebrew for wood or tree. It not talking about adorning a tree but rather a carved wood pillar. Verse 9 tells us of the silver plating and the raiment. It was not uncommon for the pagans to "dress" their idols. Here is it talking about robing them in purple and blue (techelet). That does not match the context of a Christmas tree.

The Romans may have used fir trees in their worship of their gods, but it does not follow that we are imitating them. The pagans worshipped their gods on Sundays. Are we trying to imitate the pagans in doing that?

The ancient Egyptians used lamb at many of their celebrations. It was a main part of the menu. Does that make Passover pagan when we have a Lamb shank at the seder? Were the ancient Israelites imitating the Egyptians when they ate lamb at the Passover?

Jesus nor the apostles never commanded to celebrate Jesus's birthday

That is called "biblicism." It is a form of legalism that says that we should not do anything that is not commanded in the Bible. It caused some people in the 16th century to discard the cross symbol, to discard the use of organs or any musical instruments, and to forbid the clergy robes.