• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/05/1997

"For starters, there’s a new poll by AP/GFK that found more than half of Americans (51 percent) are not confident in the idea that 'the universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a Big Bang,' The Atlantic reported.

"'In fact, fewer Americans were confident in that statement than any other on the list, which covered topics like vaccines, evolution and the Earth’s age ...'"

http://national.deseretnews.com/article/1347/Faith-untested-as-Americans-skeptical-of-Big-Bang.html#AB1gbpM3pttWpQWC.99

Maybe we're all so skeptical since everyone now has cable TV and without an external antennae we can no longer see the static on our sets left over from the explosion!

But NBC has another explanation.

"But the poll found something especially important for believers: Faith can’t be beaten.

"'Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises ..."

I can perfectly understand that people doubt about evolution or the big bang, but climate change? I mean, there is sooo much evidence about that, and it is not even a matter of faith. Like when i went wandering with my father in switserland in the mountains, he said: 'when i was young, this mountain was a gletsjer, it was full of ice. now it has become a green grassy mountain without any ice. it has all  melted.' 

Guest shiloh357

"For starters, there’s a new poll by AP/GFK that found more than half of Americans (51 percent) are not confident in the idea that 'the universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a Big Bang,' The Atlantic reported.

"'In fact, fewer Americans were confident in that statement than any other on the list, which covered topics like vaccines, evolution and the Earth’s age ...'"

http://national.deseretnews.com/article/1347/Faith-untested-as-Americans-skeptical-of-Big-Bang.html#AB1gbpM3pttWpQWC.99

Maybe we're all so skeptical since everyone now has cable TV and without an external antennae we can no longer see the static on our sets left over from the explosion!

"But the poll found something especially important for believers: Faith can’t be beaten.

"'Confidence in evolution, the Big Bang, the age of the Earth and climate change decline sharply as faith in a supreme being rises ..."

I can perfectly understand that people doubt about evolution or the big bang, but climate change? I mean, there is sooo much evidence about that, and it is not even a matter of faith. Like when i went wandering with my father in switserland in the mountains, he said: 'when i was young, this mountain was a gletsjer, it was full of ice. now it has become a green grassy mountain without any ice. it has all  melted.' 

The climate is ALWAYS changing and it always has changed.   Global warming is a scam.  They call it climate change because it really can't be supported.  The truth is that the earth goes through warming and cooling stages and it is an attempt to maintain the equilibrium on this planet.  In fact there is a cooling stage now and more is being formed. 

Global warming is junk science and really is more about manufacturing crisis in order to control how people live and what kind of products they buy.  In truth, nature is more harmful to the planet than mankind is.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What people are disputing is not climate change but man-made climate change. There was a period in the Middle Ages called the Medieval Warm period where glaciers subdued and the climate got warmer. That wasn't man made.

Guest LadyC

What people are disputing is not climate change but man-made climate change. There was a period in the Middle Ages called the Medieval Warm period where glaciers subdued and the climate got warmer. That wasn't man made.

remember how for a while it was being said that cattle poo was a huge contributing factor to climate change? maybe the medieval meltdown was caused by dinosaur poo! LOL, ok, just kidding.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

I believe there was a big bang about 13-14 billion years ago. God gave us the bible not as a science book but as a spiritual guide on how to know god and to live for him. A lot of ancient and modern rabbi scholars agree that the account of creation in Genesis was written in a poetic and symbolic form.

I also fully believe that the big bang started the universe about 13.7 billion years ago, and that the earth is formed about 5 billion years ago. Never have i believe just a second that earth started with adam and eve. maybe because they told this at school to me as a fairy tale... I agree with j102 about the bible. If creationism is true, we are the result  pure incest.

There are indeed natural peaks in heat. But due to chemical reactions CO and CO2 damage the ozon layer in our atmosphere, so that more UV light comes trough (wich causes skin cancer) and cause more radioation to hit the earth, so it will become even more warm. Besides that, i thought global warming does not contradict the bible or god, or am i in the wrong? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Its a fact that we are in a stage of global warming. Scientist have extracted ice core samples and tested how much co2 was in the atmosphere in the ancient past and there was much much less than compared to the samples that were taken that showed a dramatic increase at the start of the industrial revolution. These experiments have been repeated a multitude of times and the results were always the same. Plus we can see that the glaciers are melting and so is the permafrost that has been frozen for many thousands of years.

Guest shiloh357

Its a fact that we are in a stage of global warming. Scientist have extracted ice core samples and tested how much co2 was in the atmosphere in the ancient past and there was much much less than compared to the samples that were taken that showed a dramatic increase at the start of the industrial revolution. These experiments have been repeated a multitude of times and the results were always the same. Plus we can see that the glaciers are melting and so is the permafrost that has been frozen for many thousands of years.

The earth fluctuates and is self regulating.  We go through warming and cooling stages.  The global warming scam that pretty much tries to scare people is all about controlling what we buy and how we live.   So there is nothing to be alarmed about.   I remember back in 70s when the earth was in a cooling stage and people were worried that we were headed toward another ice age.

Don't buy into the liberal junk science meant to manipulate and create false alarms. 

Guest LadyC

I also fully believe that the big bang started the universe about 13.7 billion years ago, and that the earth is formed about 5 billion years ago. Never have i believe just a second that earth started with adam and eve. maybe because they told this at school to me as a fairy tale... I agree with j102 about the bible. If creationism is true, we are the result  pure incest.

the bible doesn't say earth was started with adam and eve. it says the earth was without form and void. adam and eve were the beginnings of the population, not of the earth.... and for the record, we didn't result from incest. when adam and eve were created, there was no sin, no death, no disease. it took many generations for disease and death to compromise the human DNA, at which point God THEN declared certain relationships as incest. that was a brand new concept that didn't occur until moses' time. and then later, the entire population of earth was erased except for noah and his family. so we all decended from noah.... whose GRANDchildren intermarried... they were cousins, and the bible never once defined cousin marriages as incestuous. so no, we didn't result from incest.

that being said, i do not believe that creationism and the big bang theory are mutually exclusive. nor do i believe that the big bang's timeline really disputes creationism's timeline. what i do believe is that God set off the spark that started the bang. and as for the timeline, well, earth didn't happen instantly during the  bang. and when it did happen, science has proven that our moon was much closer to the earth in the beginning, which resulted in the earth's rotation being much, much faster than it currently is. that means days were much shorter than what we know them to be. years were only a fraction of what we know them to be today. over time, the moon and earth became more distant, and the rotation slowed, making time stretch. 

when people estimate the years of earth's existence, they're calculating it based on our current concept of time, i'm no mathematician, but it seems quite logical to me that 6000 years as we know it might not be so far from the billions of years that carbon dating puts the earth at. our understanding of time isn't going to fit into God's timing. if God says the earth was created in six days, i believe it. but at the time God created the earth, HIS day may have been the equivalent of a thousand of our years.

or more.

maybe less.

either way, that's a long time between the actual big bang, the creation of our galaxy and earth... then the creation of vegetation, then of sea life and birds, then FINALLY of land animals and humans. scripture says that all happened in 6 days... but nothing in scripture indicates that those six days occurred in 288 hours.

and the longevity of generations backs that theory up, too. with each generation in the bible, not only did the total number of their years lessen, so did the age at which they began marrying and reproducing. that, to me, lines up very well with the slowing of the earth's rotation.