Hearing loss from church service?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone know if church services driven by loud music and amplified media have to conform to  standards and if anyone regularly checks them?  I have worked in industrial machine shops quieter than  the music service part  of many churches I have been to  to and I was forced to wear hearing protection at work for my own safety or get in trouble.  Are churches now damaging hearing in the congregation for the sake of entertainment and re the guys on the mixing desk taught  how to amplify sounds safely so church members  are not damaged in any way?

Imagine if one day a church got sued for it just like at work..

Edited by Chris.

I've always figured if its too loud at work and requires ear protection, then its going to require it elsewhere too. It doesn't matter if its jet engines or a loud worship band . . . excessive noise will fry your ears if you are exposed to it long and often enough. You may want to suggest to your church leadership that sound survey be done if you think this could be a problem at your church. I don't know what the cost would be, but an industrial hygenist should be able to tell you, or the references for the OSHA regs should be available online.

I've been to churches where the music was so loud I couldn't think, but I have a low tolerance for noise after 15 years of jet engines in the Air Force. I've visited a lot of churches over the years because I moved so often, but I learned to bring my flightline ear plugs (not the headsets) with me to a new church the first time so I could use them if needed. Sometimes I've gotten funny looks . . . but I can still hear.  :)

Edited by walla299

Actually i am the same as i have some silly tinnitus thing and get ear pain from noise.  I am sure I destroyed my hearing from loud noises at work  and loud music. big ol speakers arent exactly old school at church like from when I grew up and I see a generation of deaf kids behind us unless we do something to help them. Wait till a church gets sued for negligence in a few years, which may happen if someone needs help and wasn't warned. we are relying on the churches not to hurt us arent we?

We have sound level meters at work and i am going to t o check the levels at church next time i am there.  If I find the sound is at 95-120 db where i think it is I am going to make the kids where ear plugs from now on.  

If you cant hold a conversation over it without yelling  the sound system is damaging your hearing.

Edited by Chris.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I take my shooters ear plugs whenever we go to a place where there is music just in case.   If you attend concerts, use of the ear plugs lowers the levels and it sounds like you're at home listening to a cd.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

Feels like I could use ear plugs at certain times in church. For instance when I'm having a deep peaceful time with the Lord and all of a sudden the lady behind me screams Amen! in my ears. Kind of a scary moment...

its good to see its not just me that takes them  but  whats it doing to other people unsuspecting of being damaged?

Hey if there was airborn asbestos there it would be a big deal because its harmeful to respitory health so whats the difference with overly amplified sound induced hearing loss damage? Isnt our hearing one of the most important things we need to protect?

Edited by Chris.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Chris, you have brought up one of my pet peeves. I regularly go to the restroom before services at my local church and get a piece of toilet paper to stick in my ears during the music. Should we say that the majority of popular musicians today are idiots who have no regard to frying their ears? The Christian's body is supposed to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Chris, you have brought up one of my pet peeves. I regularly go to the restroom before services at my local church and get a piece of toilet paper to stick in my ears during the music. Should we say that the majority of popular musicians today are idiots who have no regard to frying their ears? The Christian's body is supposed to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

original.jpeg Its less obvious

Edited by Chris.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

But the toilet paper sticking out of your ears might just make a statement beyond people thinking your nuts...  LoL

you can get free sound meter apps for your Android phone for free.    one would need to calibrate it.

But the toilet paper sticking out of your ears might just make a statement beyond people thinking your nuts...  LoL

Just not when the preaching is on.