• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

I have just received a new job at Baylor Center of Medicine in neuroscience research. I trying to set up my first apartment. and I am working on a goal of 2000 by the time I graduate. I'm working roughly three jobs (about 60 hours per pay period) That much should take care of apartment and a bed...or at least that is what I first calculated. I have to pay for other things at the moment such as loans, necessities like clothes/shoes/food and hobbies like sewing  so that 2000 is getting eaten into already. I guess my question is when do I know I am worrying too much. I keep telling myself that God will provide my needs so my excessive worry over if I will have enough money is unnecessary. But then I think well God provided me with three jobs so what if the plan is to put in some more hours? What should I do about the other needs and wants that I have now such as a new pair of jeans (last ones ripped) or shoes (some are falling apart at the moment) or that coral for my saltwater tank? What if I can't make my goal of $2000? Is $2000 even enough? I have so many worries and I don't know if I'm just failing to trust in God as much as I should or if these are good since they keep me from being in a bind in the future...

Any thoughts/Suggestions?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,027
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

do you have any idea of how to make a budget?

Yes I have budget. I put the income in and what is left-over. I take out the money for my savings from my paycheck which leaves little left over for the loans other expenses that I have to prioritize. The problem is that the money that I am saving is taking a lot out of the money to pay for other expenses so I am trying to deal with that but I need the money I am saving. Honestly I'm getting paid that much even with three jobs...

i do understand, but one just can't live above their means for very long.....

When we first got married 44 years ago we didn't have the money to have a hamburger eating out friday nights....   So we didn't eat out.

We needed clothes so we visited the used clothes stores and garage sales...

Budgets are not something that you can play with, they are the reality of what you can and can't do.

If you can't live on $2,000  I assume a month, you will simply have to either get higher paying jobs or cut your expenses.....   that's economics 101.   We couldn't afford a nice appartment so we purchased a rather small mobile home....  Payments were about 20% of our income.

When we first got married 44 years ago we didn't have the money to have a hamburger eating out friday nights....   So we didn't eat out.

Budgets are not something that you can play with, they are the reality of what you can and can't do.

If you can't live on $2,000  I assume a month, you will simply have to either get higher paying jobs or cut your expenses.....   that's economics 101.   We couldn't afford a nice appartment so we purchased a rather small mobile home....  Payments were about 20% of our income.

I don't think you understand :) since I am still in saving mode for the future I have yet to start living above my means.I am talking about how to balance between savings and living expenses. My income is still above my outcome at the moment especially when calculating how much I have saved. I am saving for the rent and the bed and the possibility of other expenses. The job I am getting will be well over what I am saving and the rent for the apartment that I am getting will be fairly under what I am saving but it is my first apartment. The $2000 is not living expenses it is savings for the things I think I will need for my first apartment which would be the first months rent, deposit and a bed. The money is so that I will have enough to pay for rent until I start getting set up for my new job. I am worried that I am being more concerned with saving as much as I can rather than believing that God will work things out since I really don't know the future. 

While I commend you for living in a mobile home the mobile home site would be quite far from my job and I would have to calculate in costs for gas which if I were to get a home closer I could possibly alleviate. And I'm not sure if both you and your wife were married but the extra income from a spouse is something I don't have at the moment. Also the place where I am at now does not have a kitchen (it is a dormitory since I'm still in college) so groceries and the occasional eating out has to be a possibility. 

At the end of the day my question isn't really about budgeting but if I am balancing the future (something I don't know) on my shoulders rather than place the burden on God? When you were going through your first home did you always feel your future was secure despite monetary troubles?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

for the loans 

Get rid of those ASAP and dont make the banks any richer. Your better off to be debt free as much as possible so you can enjoy a worry free life.  2 flashy cars a marriage based on careers paying off a huge mortgage with kids being raised in child care never seeing parents while you work long ours to pay interest is no utopia. Make debt eradication your priority for the rest of your life over expensive toys and big holidays. You have the right idea with the jobs now though, make hay while the sun shines.

Edited by Chris.

I don't think you understand :) since I am still in saving mode for the future I have yet to start living above my means.I am talking about how to balance between savings and living expenses. My income is still above my outcome at the moment especially when calculating how much I have saved. I am saving for the rent and the bed and the possibility of other expenses. The job I am getting will be well over what I am saving and the rent for the apartment that I am getting will be fairly under what I am saving but it is my first apartment. The $2000 is not living expenses it is savings for the things I think I will need for my first apartment which would be the first months rent, deposit and a bed. The money is so that I will have enough to pay for rent until I start getting set up for my new job. I am worried that I am being more concerned with saving as much as I can rather than believing that God will work things out since I really don't know the future. 

While I commend you for living in a mobile home the mobile home site would be quite far from my job and I would have to calculate in costs for gas which if I were to get a home closer I could possibly alleviate. And I'm not sure if both you and your wife were married but the extra income from a spouse is something I don't have at the moment. Also the place where I am at now does not have a kitchen (it is a dormitory since I'm still in college) so groceries and the occasional eating out has to be a possibility. 

At the end of the day my question isn't really about budgeting but if I am balancing the future (something I don't know) on my shoulders rather than place the burden on God? When you were going through your first home did you always feel your future was secure despite monetary troubles?

OH......  I get it now....      Actually when we got married I was not a real Chirstian.....   I was a believer so to say but I had not turned my life over to Jesus to run......    and no I wasn't secure about anything...    I was a typical southern redneck husband that should have been beaten every day for the first two years of our marriage.....    but that's a whole other story.

The question you are asking about trusting God for furnishing your needs is a real tricky one from my point of view.   He will furnish you for what you need.....    trouble is in deciding if what we are attempting to do is a need or a want....   he does not always furnish what we want.

I don't think I could even wager guess at whether or not the two thousand might be enough for I have no idea what you are looking for in an apartment, or a bed.  I do understand that your apartment cost should not be more than about 25% of what you will be making  30% if your rent includes utilities....

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

OH......  I get it now....      Actually when we got married I was not a real Chirstian.....   I was a believer so to say but I had not turned my life over to Jesus to run......    and no I wasn't secure about anything...    I was a typical southern redneck husband that should have been beaten every day for the first two years of our marriage.....    but that's a whole other story.

The question you are asking about trusting God for furnishing your needs is a real tricky one from my point of view.   He will furnish you for what you need.....    trouble is in deciding if what we are attempting to do is a need or a want....   he does not always furnish what we want.

I don't think I could even wager guess at whether or not the two thousand might be enough for I have no idea what you are looking for in an apartment, or a bed.  I do understand that your apartment cost should not be more than about 25% of what you will be making  30% if your rent includes utilities....

I thought he meant a week or a fortnight.  2k a month here in Australia is just above poverty line because things are so expensive.

I thought he meant a week or a fortnight.  2k a month here in Australia is just above poverty line because things are so expensive.

I studied abroad in Australia and you are right that 2000k a month would be pretty much below poverty line. The 2k is more of the start up money before I get my paycheck since I need money to move in. In the U.S 2k for a single is pretty livable imo. So far the best apartments are around 1000- 1100 (includes dishwasher, dryer/washer, refrig and a shuttle to the place i'll be working at) which is okay and a nice bed is around 500 so I think I'll be in good range. I have to make sure I have enough money for utilities though...

save all you can and go with it.....   but don't stop saving until you get a years salary in your bank account or somewhere safe that you can get to if you need it without paying penalties.......    and stay out of the stock market.\ with that savings.