Hashe

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

A good friend of mine was once working as a Personal Assistant to the wife of a major Christian mission organisation that I admire greatly. My friend was very good at her job and enjoyed it. She became very close to her boss. However it was an extremely difficult job. At times the pressure to get things done for God was great and in these times her boss treated her with less than the respect she deserved.

It left her with a lot of hurt.  I remember spending nights with her encouraging her to keep her heart soft and find the right fit for her.

It reminded me in some ways of the biblical stories of Abraham. He is a truly wonderful Biblical figure, being the great father of the Israeli nation. Even God ties himself to Abraham. Many times in the Old and New Testament God calls himself ‘the God of Abraham’.

However twice we read how he mistreats his wife, Sarah, really badly. Twice (Gen 12:11-20, Gen 20) he gives his wife to a foreign king as a wife. I wonder how

Sarah felt about that. Abraham had some major failings in the way he dealt with people close to him.

When I consider the way people such as Abraham and even my friend’s boss can treat people it seems like for thousands of years great people of faith have been failing those closest to them. It does make me wonder about me. How do I treat those with whom I work? For those who have worked under me, did they feel valued or mistreated? I wonder about those who are close to me and the way I sometimes treat them. Do they feel valued or mistreated?

From http://ontoxenos.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/give-her-away/

Used with permission

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Good topic, a self-exam. In order to have a better relationship with the body of Christ, we must all re-evaluate these things and work on stuff we need to get right. 

Blessings :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Indeed what you describe is painful for the lady. We are guaranteed tribulation in this life, if we are Christians. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

As to Sarah, it is quite possible that there was some popular story around in his day about a man being killed so someone could take his beautiful wife. Abe was famous for trusting the Lord. That was his strong point. But a few times he failed to trust the Lord, as in telling Sarah to tell kings she was his sister (a truth, but deceit with bad consequences). But I don't know of any verse that says "He gives his wife to a foreign king as a wife." After he told the king that the beautiful woman was his sister, then the king took Sarah. And Abe made no effort to impede this so far as we know. So you could say it was close to giving.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Indeed what you describe is painful for the lady. We are guaranteed tribulation in this life, if we are Christians. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

As to Sarah, it is quite possible that there was some popular story around in his day about a man being killed so someone could take his beautiful wife. Abe was famous for trusting the Lord. That was his strong point. But a few times he failed to trust the Lord, as in telling Sarah to tell kings she was his sister (a truth, but deceit with bad consequences). But I don't know of any verse that says "He gives his wife to a foreign king as a wife." After he told the king that the beautiful woman was his sister, then the king took Sarah. And Abe made no effort to impede this so far as we know. So you could say it was close to giving.

Perhaps the first time, but the second???