• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've never attempted it, and I want to. So I'm looking for advice on how, from people who have done it. I mean did you stay with nothing at all to eat or drink, or did you just limit yourself to certain foods, and maybe water? I find if I don't eat at all, I can't sleep at all. But I've known some people who almost sleep better on an empty stomach.

Did you do it for more than 1 day at a time?

I've always imagined if I did this I'd be with a small group of people, and we'd all be doing it. But I'm alone, so I'd be doing it alone.

So any advice will be appreciated.

Guest Butero

I have done it different ways.  I have gone on an all liquid fast for 3 days.  I have gone on an all water fast I think for a couple of days, and that is the most difficult.  I have fasted by staying away from all meat and dairy for several days.  Going without meat isn't too bad, but without meat and dairy is harder.  A fast isn't always the same.  Daniel fasted by not having any pleasant foods for a period of time.  If you have never fasted at all, try something not too hard, like a 24 hour fast.  I wouldn't try to go a week without food the first time.  You might get a headache, but not necessarily. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Firstly why do you want to do it? If it is as an experiment, it is probably not a good idea.

If you have something you really need to fast and pray about, here are a few tips. (I have done 7 days on water alone).

You will probably get a headache, and sometimes a bad one. if you press on, it will go.

You will get very hungry on the second day or so, but drink water in small controlled amounts.

Don't do this if you are doing physical activity.

Really, don't do this if you have any sort of medical condition.

If you do start eating after a day or so, take small amounts of non fatty food like crackers or something similar to begin with. Not too much salt either.

If you start feeling dizzy or lightheaded, were it is affecting you negatively, stop straight away.

Tell someone you can trust what you are doing (this is purely a safety thing)

Best to try it with a few people for support the first time.

Stopping a fast for health reasons is not a sign of a lack of faith, it is common sense.

Pray and meditate continuously, that is why you are fasting, to clear your mind and worship God. don't strive for answers. If God wants you to know something He will tell you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

I have done a liquid fast, anytime the subject comes up I think of Isaiah 58!

It's not an experiment.

I don't eat much of a variety of foods anyway because of various health reasons. I usually only eat 2-4 oz of meat once or twice a week.

Another thing I'm wondering is how you pray and meditate continuously? I guess you mean no TV or using the Internet? I live alone so I already go several days a week without speaking to anyone.

Guest Butero

It is a personal thing between you and God how you fast.  Just don't make it too hard on yourself the first time.  If you have to, just try fasting a meal starting out. 

Thanks for the reply. I have to think about how I can do this some more before I try it.  I don't think I had the right idea about why we do this. I also didn't realize I can fast on anything. I thought the idea was to stay without food.  But after reading Isaiah 58 I don't think staving oneself s what it's about.  The idea seems to be to stay without something you indulge in daily, while you seek God for whatever issue you have. I know one person can do it alone, because Daniel did it alone. But I think it would be better if a group pray and fast together. But to do that everyone would have to be of 1 mind. If nothing else, this is going to be a learning experience for me.