• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What is a drunkard? Is it somebody who gets drunk, or somebody who gets drunk frequently (an alcoholic)?

What do you mean by being drunk? Is it okay to drink enough and feel relaxed and happy, even if you do come across as a bit tired or slurry? Even if you don't sin because of doing it, is it still too much, or should you be alert and sober at all times?

Is it better to abstain altogether?

Does it matter what you drink? Is wine okay, but beer wrong? What about spirits?

Your thoughts please.

Guest Butero

The Bible just says we shouldn't drink in excess, and it makes it clear being a drunkard is a sin that will keep you out of heaven.  In excess to me means to the point of being drunk.  I don't think it means relaxed.  I don't see any difference in one alcoholic beverage as opposed to another, except for the obvious fact that some will get you drunk much faster.  I feel it is wrong to ever get drunk, but getting drunk once is not what I would consider a drunkard to be.  A drunkard to me is a drunk, like Otis Campbell on Andy Griffith.  I would imagine you are going to get a whole lot of different views on this subject. 

BTW, if you come across with slurred speech, I would say you are drunk. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

with me-its anything past one drink. I have a one drink limit-regardless of what it is. I do enjoy that occasional glass of wine or mikes hard lemonade, even enjoy mixing a shot of crown with mountain dew-but regardless I always stop at one and by one thats for the whole day-and is often for the entire week sometimes even months. The bible does say not to get drunk-and not to drink in excess, so to me that translates anytime you feel your state of mind altering-its to much, that includes that being buzzed.

Guest Butero

with me-its anything past one drink. I have a one drink limit-regardless of what it is. I do enjoy that occasional glass of wine or mikes hard lemonade, even enjoy mixing a shot of crown with mountain dew-but regardless I always stop at one and by one thats for the whole day-and is often for the entire week sometimes even months. The bible does say not to get drunk-and not to drink in excess, so to me that translates anytime you feel your state of mind altering-its to much, that includes that being buzzed.

I am curious about something.  What does it mean to you to "feel your state of mind alter?"  and what is buzzed to you?  What do you feel after one shot of crown or one hard lemonade or one glass of wine? 

The reason I ask this question is that my Dad had a two drinks limit (three for special occasions). He never got drunk (well, I didn't see it). He never acted drunk. He would limit his drinking and stop at that limit. He never behaved badly after drinking, and he never lost control, swore or let his morals drop. He always walked the same, never staggered and you would never know that he had a drink. He never drank before work, nor during the daytime. He didn't drink every day and when he did, he always did it in the evening before bed.

However, his words were sometimes, a little slurry - still articulate, but a little slurry. He once told me that was just how alcohol affected him. It was the first thing that went. Some people get aggressive, some people become silly, others behave atrociously. My dad just slurred his words a bit and then went to bed.

I seem to have inherited the same characteristic. I just wondered if it was a bad thing. I stop at a certain point, and like my Dad I will only drink before bed, so I'm not usually speaking to anybody much anyway.

Guest Butero

The reason I ask this question is that my Dad had a two drinks limit (three for special occasions). He never got drunk (well, I didn't see it). He never acted drunk. He would limit his drinking and stop at that limit. He never behaved badly after drinking, and he never lost control, swore or let his morals drop. He always walked the same, never staggered and you would never know that he had a drink. He never drank before work, nor during the daytime. He didn't drink every day and when he did, he always did it in the evening before bed.

However, his words were sometimes, a little slurry - still articulate, but a little slurry. He once told me that was just how alcohol affected him. It was the first thing that went. Some people get aggressive, some people become silly, others behave atrociously. My dad just slurred his words a bit and then went to bed.

I seem to have inherited the same characteristic. I just wondered if it was a bad thing. I stop at a certain point, and like my Dad I will only drink before bed, so I'm not usually speaking to anybody much anyway.

Do you feel convicted about it?  There is no absolute answer anyone could give you.  I personally think if your speech is slurred, it is a sign you have had too much, and perhaps you should cut back a little, but that is just my opinion. 

Do you feel convicted about it?  There is no absolute answer anyone could give you.  I personally think if your speech is slurred, it is a sign you have had too much, and perhaps you should cut back a little, but that is just my opinion. 

I don't feel bad about it. I don't feel as if it's wrong. I don't do it often. My speech is not very slurry, just a little. I stop and don't go beyond that point. I just wonder what other people's opinions were.

In other words - what is drunk? What does it mean?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Everyone has a different tolerance.While a very large person can have two drinks and feel fine a very small person could have one drink and really feel it.I would caution a person from not drinking on an everyday basis.You can build a tolerance to alcohol.What was one drink could take you two or three drinks after awhile to get the same effect.If a person would go into a hospital and their body is used to drinking on an everyday basis they can have a slight withdrawal because your system is used to it.Also when alot of alcohol is consumed it is very damaging to the liver and causes alot of different kinds of cancer.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

If my nose feels numb I've had two to many.....

I rarely drink.....    I have a concealed carry permit and am armed most of the time.......   in that state you just don't drink at all.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I am curious about something.  What does it mean to you to "feel your state of mind alter?"  and what is buzzed to you?  What do you feel after one shot of crown or one hard lemonade or one glass of wine? 

nothing, usually after one unless I guzzle it. With mikes I usually dont feel anything unless Ive had 2 or 3, but like I said I always stop at one regardless. if its wine or whiskey, I normally feel that buzzed feeling by glass two-hence why I always stop at one. Im sure different people are different and with different drinks its different, but thats how it is with me. and like I said with mikes-which has a 5% alc. verses crown which has 40%, I can down 2-3+ mikes without feeling buzzed-but I never do, I always stop at one, because thats the rule I follow-no matter what. I enjoy the flavor of the drink-thats why I drink it, but I drew a hard line in the sand long ago and I never plan to cross it. if I get to the point I think im going to cross it Ill stop drinking altogether.