• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Is anybody entirely clear on the translation of saying to someone 'you fool'.  Matthew:5:22. ? 

Blessings...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Hi Winnie and Welcome to Worthy. :mgcheerful:

We must know the difference of the fool and the word Jesus used in Matthew 5:22 when he forbid calling a Christian brother a fool.The word fool (raca) implies worthlessness.Jesus was not saying that we cannot call the choices of another foolish.To call someone a fool or "raca" was saying that this person was beyond the reach of God and condemned forever.We as humans do not have the right to comdemn anyone to hell such as saying the words "damn you".We should do all we can to turn hearts and minds to Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Winnie!

Welcome to Worthy.................Praise Jesus that He has lead you here,Worthy is such a BLessing to us all!!!

Raca/fool was a very DISRESPECTFUL thing to say to a person,calling them "empty one" or worthless..............I am Italian & was raised in a  family that had that old school, customary ,European mindset & so I think have a different understanding of the way things are said & the impact of words or phrases ....not a better understanding than  Americans but I believe very similar to those of the people in ancient Israel

To disrespect a persons character or integrity was worse that saying a cuss word,integrity & reputation was the most important thing a man could have & to call them"nothing"  was the same as spewing out a profanity at another

I am thinking of some Italian words or phrases that would simply seem derogatory when translated but the disrespectful ,slanderous ,maliciou,intent in its meaning is very wicked in Italy,I hope that helped a little...........God Bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Hi Winnie and Welcome to Worthy. :mgcheerful:

We must know the difference of the fool and the word Jesus used in Matthew 5:22 when he forbid calling a Christian brother a fool.The word fool (raca) implies worthlessness.Jesus was not saying that we cannot call the choices of another foolish.To call someone a fool or "raca" was saying that this person was beyond the reach of God and condemned forever.We as humans do not have the right to comdemn anyone to hell such as saying the words "damn you".We should do all we can to turn hearts and minds to Christ.

When looking at Matthew 5:22, the word Raca and fool are two different words and have two different penalties assigned to them.  If you say to someone Raca, you shall be in danger of the council, which is the Sanhedrin.  If you call someone a fool (english translated word), you are calling them stupid (dull or stupid (as if shut up), i.e. heedless, (morally) blockhead, (apparently) absurd.)

The word in Greek was moros (G3474), which means: silly, stupid, foolish, from which the English word moron is derived.  They used this word on those who were morally worthless.

Raca scorns a man by calling him stupid, but moros scorns him concerning his heart and character.

Here is a link to an online Interlinear for Matthew 5.  This will give you an idea as to how it was used in the day it was spoken.  http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/mat5.pdf

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

This is Winnie.  I changed my name, but cannot start new topics until I have 5 posts. 

Thankyou for your replies. What I am getting really is that it is a degrading term of contempt by saying that someone, who created in the image of God, is basically a nothing.  That is insulting God then, who is the creator of all things, especially of men, being created in His image whom he cares about the most. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Consider the passage from Matthew 7:2 "For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."?

It seems to me that if you judge another totally worthless, you will be held to the same standards in His eyes. In His eyes, will you pass the same standard of judgment?